Calling all Alaska touring experts.......Input needed...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by RoyB, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff, thanks for the info on the Haul road. I'm really shocked about all that pavement. Really sucks. Was such a great ride on dirt back then.
    On a side note, i was very fortunate to get the grand tour of the pump
    station at the Yukon river. A friend that worked there got me in for about 4 hours. Very impressive operation and they do eat very well!
    For all the Dempster riders. Going up to Inuvik in july. Don't really see any problems on my part but will ask, what would be my primary concern.
    Now the Cassiar. Any one remember Mighty Moe? Want to stop and visit with him again. Really hope he is well.
    As a No0b for the past month i have enjoyed everyone's outlook on bikes and daily life. Thanks:thumb
  2. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    I helped build Pump Station #6! It is one of the coldest places you can even imagine.

It was while working there in 1975 that I saw a true adventure rider for the first time ever. It was January or February, -45F, and to my surprise, I met a BMW motorcycle heading south on the haul road! Turns out it was Johne Binkley, a local snowmobile racer, and he decided to ride from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego, and made it!
  3. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    RDJEff,one hell of a job i'm sure. I've heard rumors about more holes might be drilled and another line put up.:ear
  4. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    What is the best knobby tire for touring Alaska on my 1150 GS? I am looking for mileage and traction on the gravel stretches of the Cassier and other construction zones. I want to be able to mount new rubber in Seattle and make it up to Fairbanks and back, without a tire change. Is this doable?
    I am thinking of using the TKC-80's but wonder if there is anything better out now.
    I am pretty sure a new set of Tourance's would do it fine, but the knobs would be nice in the soft stuff.
    -Sirby :ear
  5. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    depending on your skill if you can push a GS to limit on the dirt then knobs mite be nice but for most situtations the tourance's will take you most all places that the GS will go and get high mileage some have said thay have gotten 10.000 miles on a set but I would say most get 6 or 7000 miles and will offer good traction. I live here in Alaska and most guys I ride with on GS are on T66's and tourance's Iam on Michelin Ainkee's and 2 up I have gotten 5000 miles on them.
  6. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    Hi Sirby now you been? When are you planing on coming up this way? The cassier is not that bad doable on Tourance's.. The Knobs (TKC-80) are nice but the rear going to be done in 3500-4000mi. and its 2500mi. from Seattle to Fairbanks... 90% of the Ak. Hiway is paved or chipsealed.
    I think if you don't plan on venturing to far off the Ak. Hiway Tourance's should do.
    Did you get the MilePost. It's kind of big and heavy but it has all the info for the Hiway. :thumb
    Now If your thinking of Ross River, Dumpster, Dalton that's a differant story...
  7. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

What Hacky said. :deal

If you're runnin' hard... knobs will be dead before you hit Anchortown.
    Go with the non-knobs.
  8. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    The Tourances we put on in Seattle took us two-up and back on my 1150GS. We did just about everything except the Dempster, including the Top of the World Hwy out of Dawson, the Haul Road in some of the most miserable conditions I've ever ridden, and the Cassiar on the way back. Fully loaded we weighed in on a truck scale in Fairbanks at 1100 lbs. The rear Tourance took me all the way back to Reno, the front lasted back to the east coast. The Tourances are fine. :thumb Just carry a pump so you can drop the pressures in loose conditions and then bump them back up when you hit the chipseal again.
  9. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    The trip distance is 4300 miles up to Fairbanks and back. It will be very close and completely worn out if it does make it back. I used TKC80's a couple of years ago up in Alaska and my rear was pretty much gone at 3K miles. It did still have that tiny little bit of knob left though so it may have been good for further and that last little bit seems to last.

One thing I found was my riding ability far surpassed any improvements on the gravel were made by knobbies. By the end of the trip I was cruising through deep gravel and mud with Tourances like it was nothing.
  10. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Tourances :thumb :thumb
  11. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    As I sit here reading the responses from you guys, I know to trust the Tourances. They are all I have run on the bike for nearly 30k miles, and lots of gravel roads around Washington. Thanks. I run with the Cycle Pump from BestRest as well as the Pocket Plugger. Serves me well. I have the new issue of Milepost dogeared a bit already.
    Hi Hacky! I hope to see you all in Dawson June 18/19. I am riding solo to start, around the first of June, and plan to meet my wife in Anchorage for a couple days before heading to Dawson, then back to Seattle. I hope the Cassier is in good shape by then, as I plan to follow that route up. Plans still developing.
    -Sirby
    www.sirby.smugmug.com

http://home.comcast.net/~steveirby/bmw_adventures.htm
  12. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve if your going to be in Anchorage for a pitstop your welcome to stay at my place if you like.. :thumb
  13. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Sirby... 30K on a Tourance, dude that is excellent. You and I gotta talk.
    See you in Dawson.
  14. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    The Milepost is helpful with picks of the highways and services. For real trip planning though, I found Microsoft streets and trips to be much more helpful. The old version was cheap and very helpful. The newer version is getting a little pricey and I think it mostly adds GPS capability, not helpful for trip planning.
  15. R1200GS05

R1200GS05 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi RoyB,

I'm planning to leave Chcago heading to Alaska on July 23th. Maybe we'll cross paths. I'll be solo on a 2005 yellow R1200GS. I too have been up to Banff and Jasper in years past. One comment though, you wrote:
    I've ridden from Chicago to Glacier NP a few times and it is just about 1800 miles. So your plan of leaving Ohio on Sunday and being in NW Montana on Monday evening requires back to back 1000+ mile days!!!

One tip if you are crossing the border up in that area. I've crossed just north of Glacier NP at Waterton Lakes and it was very pleasant and friendly. I have also crossed on Interstate 15 and all I can say is never again! Maybe the border guards had watched to many old biker movies and it was partly my fault for riding a Harley and wearing leathers, (yes I did have a helmet, mandatory in Canada) but EVERYTHING was unpacked, gone through, and inspected. I had all my gear neatly packed, my clothing folded, etc. and they just jammed everything back in my bags. I had to spend about a hour at the first rest area north of the border repacking all of my stuff. Right next to me in the inspection area was a guy and a woman in a minivan. They were just given a wave and told to have a nice visit!

Oh well, if you do see a guy on a yellow GS wearing a big white Shoei pull up and say howdy!

Pete
  16. keith in alaska

Oddometer:
    I think he used more than one :eek1
  17. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Really ?????? :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh
  18. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete......

Ohio to GNP is about 2000 miles.......That's why we are trailering from Ohio to Kalispell. Two drivers taking turns driving can do it in about 32 hours....

Hope to see you on the road. We'll be on a Blue V Strom and a Blue R1200GS
  19. keith in alaska

Oddometer:

Didn't want some noob to think he could make it from Key West to Prudhoe and back on a new Tourance :eek1

Question is......two, three, four, or five in 30K?

You going to Inuvik before or after the Dawson gathering??

See ya,
  20. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    How about 6,7,or 8???
    Dempster Dash happens before D2D. We depart from Dawson on Tuesday morning and return to Dawson to link with others on Thursday evening.