Calling all Alaska touring experts.......Input needed...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by RoyB, Jan 19, 2005.

1. RV'nGS'r

RV'nGS'r Homeless trailer trash

Oddometer:
    New guy (first post?) to this great & addictive site. I've been reading it for a couple of years, just sucking up the good stuff and keeping my trap shut, but I really need to thank everyone that participates for the raft of great ideas and recommendations. I am another of the "many" that is going to roll up from the lower 48 to AK (with Deadhorse being my goal). Your ideas on routes, tires, camp locations, extra gas, weather, gear, scenic "must dos / don't dos" and the rest are eagerly digested with every post. No sense "reinventing the wheel".
    Planning on trailering from FL in May with multiple day loops along the way to MT. The Canyonlands and Staircase areas of UT are on this years list. The real ride starts in Billings, MT late June, planning for 31 days, riding both ways MT - MT) with no deadlines except the "Last Frontier Rally" @ Houston, AK. Hooking up with another GS rider on passing thru Great Falls. Thanks again. See ya on the road!
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Welcome :thumb
    Excellent.... I noticed your info stated that you spent summers in Montana.
    Where???? I spent my first 25 years roaming that country. If you are new to Montana, let me know. I have a zillion places you need to check out once you get to Billings.
  3. RV'nGS'r

Oddometer:
    Fighter--Montana native. Worked aircraft in Gt Falls for 30 yrs. Rode DR's in the Highwoods and the Belt mountains mostly. Traded full-time work for full-time rid'n & roam'n. Never got to see it all either! Big Sky country is a little like AK, Takes a lifetime to "see it all".
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I've been at that rally for the last several years. Ought to be a good time. There's a very cool little ride through the old mining district just behind the rally site that we got to make a couple years ago. Didn't last year because the weather through that section wasn't cooperating that particular day. Really looking forward to it this year though. See you there!

[​IMG]
  5. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

EXCELLENT!!!
    Billings native.
    Spent time at MSU and gradiated from MSUB.
    Hunted Grass Range, Roundup, Winnett, Cat Creek
    Older bro and sisnlaw taught in Hilger and Stanford.
    Wonderful country but tough to make a livin'
    Came north 31 years ago.
    Still luv ridin' the Big Sky.
  6. RV'nGS'r

Oddometer:
    Billings born & raised here too. Class of 64 from West. Big antelope around Grass Range just don't tell anyone. Billings is great place to get that "drawbridge oiler" experience too. Looking forward to the AK trip. Hope I can slow down and "smell the tundra" (quote-Jeff Munn) not just roll on the miles and practice pitching the tent.
  7. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

West High Class of '68
    Lived on Grand Ave just past 24th West
    Spent time at the South Hills BMC Hill Climb working the hill as a catcher.
    Amazing the things we would do for a case of beer.
    Idolized guys like Howard Kaiser, Chamberlain, Waddell.
    Saw MaGrath run the hill in '03
    Good stuff
  8. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well Fighter found a friend.

RV/gs'er when you get Sterling Alaska on the Kenai you need to stop at the Big Sky Fish Camp. It's owned and operated by a Montana transplant Joe Conners. He runs fish charters on the Kenai river.
  9. RV'nGS'r

Oddometer:
    2600 blk of Broadwater for me and a Honda 250 Scrambler in the south hills where I developed my skills at falling down. Tiny little world ain't it?
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Same spot. I was the guy on the 305 Scrambler.
  11. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fighter-a 305 scrambler! I stopped by the Honda shop every week when I was in college just to throw a leg over one....Never did get the money together before the draft board found me. My English bike friends thought I was crazy for wanting one of the Jap Bikes. I still want one.
  12. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Remember when we thought those were "big" bikes????? :eek1
    They really were!
    Traded my Yamaha 100 Trailmaster (Trailmasher?) for that 305 Hondoo.
    Before that however... I stayed real busy doing test rides.:deal

Showed up one day at the homestead with a tricked out, candyappled, extendedforked, peanuttanked, straightpiped, fire breathin' '65 Triumph 500. (twin carbed, velo stacks, chrome oil tank)
    The old man heard me comin' a mile away and was shaking his head
    "NO WAY" before I could even find the brakes it never really had.
    Took the long way back to the seller's house, explained way I couldn't buy it, and sadly mounted my underpowered, smoke belching piece-o-shit Yammy for a short sad trip back to reality.
    Oil Injection.. my ass!!!

Two weeks later found the Scrambler.
    Then I was crappin' in tall cotton! :thumb :deal
  13. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I had one of those high piped cb,s what a tank!
  14. kbar

kbar Just goin' for it!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to echo what RV'nGS'r said in #121. I've been keeping an eye on this site for several months now, and have found it to be very helpful from many aspects. The wealth of information included in this specific thread is what's finally prompting me to chime in -that along with the positive attitude of those who have contributed. I've been pondering a trip to Alaska, and what I've been reading here is only adding fuel to the fire. Thanks to all for the fantastic info!!
  15. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Welcome to the asylum Kbar... when you do get up our way, make sure that you plan your journey around the D2D run. Good people, beautiful country, fun time.
  16. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    That's one and counting. :rofl :rofl

Hey Fite, didn't see the "how do ya like me so far" line in there. Might have missed it with all the lovin goin on. :huh :lol3

Bringing your buddy into the fray comes with responsibilities, you know what that means don't ya? :deal :lol3 :rofl :rofl :rofl
  17. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put in a call to Bruce Bustemante and nominated Fighter for a seat on the Anchorage convention and visitors bureau.

Fite your doing a great job pushing Alaska as a motorcycle vacation destination. Just remind people to bring rain gear and money. Keep Alaska green-spend money.

Is it time to write the Gruver's Book of Alaska Motorcycling?
  18. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip to Alaska in July/August and bought Greg Frazier's book and would NOT recommend it. It is helpful at times, but is one of the most poorly written books I've read in a long time. If you do decide to use it, be sure and have a full size map of Alaska handy to try and figure out the book.
  19. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    From the TWT RTB thread:

All helicopters are to remain in tent/cabin. There will be no public landings.
  20. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: