Calling out, TRS owners! Questions/things to share.

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Mar 14, 2018.

1. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am interested in all that you experienced riders are stating about gearing, but "1st", "2nd', etc. really isn't that helpful; those are just gear positions. :-) What would be most useful - and I know it's not easy to provide - is drive ratios from the crank, through the clutch, through the transmission, and to the rear wheel. That's the only true way to compare apples to apples when we all don't ride the same bikes. And since we're all individuals with different styles I can't imagine that we'd agree on the same ratios even if we all had the same bike.

Oh ... me kinda bad; I failed to realize that this really is a TRS specific thread. Sorry.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have woke up in the early morning and crunched numbers for hours and then left for work at 430 am. Me telling you ratio`s will do nothing. It really depends on the rider, then the class and lastly the bike. I know riders in my own class that have never ridden anything but first gear. Nothing wrong with that, but each obstacle can need a different gear or can be ridden in the first four. All the time with a different style.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stu called me today(Jacks cycle ) and we cut a deal.he is boxing up a new trs one 300 tomorrow to send to michigan.
    Buschog, Ccino, Norman Foley and 8 others like this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can give you a clear cut example. My 2016 Beta 250 was driving me nuts with the gearing. 1st too low second to high. I tried from 9-11 counter shaft sprockets and 39 to 44 rear sprockets. Than one early morning I made a spread sheet of ratio`s including all the sprockets. I finally settled with 9 and 44. Sounds low yes. Well first was really low.
    I had been told by Vintage Pro that this is what he always ran. He liked the granny low. That was not what I wanted. I wanted a gear like the SHERCO, GAS Gas and TRS first gear.
    I found it with the ratios. It was second gear with a 9 and 44. Benefit was 3rd equaled the stck 2nd gear and 4th was just barely taller than the factory 3rd. Now I had 4 useable gears in a section. Worse thing you had to keep that knowledge readily available in your brain and why.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    You are doing those mental calcs in a section all the while praying that the Beta wasn’t going to pop out of gear! :bow
    Thesolidman1 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only had that happen 1 time and what a result. Dee and Davids section at Roswell last year. From a clean to almost a dnf in just a few seconds. First time I ever bent a pair of fat bars.
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Everything Lineaway posted 2 post up about riding in 2nd gear, I was doing that with my gasgas, felt the same way he did (i never did any calcs, I just felt what I liked)...

but the TRS is different. I assume it is from only having 5 gears total. Plus shifting from 2nd to 3rd was safer than 1 to second, least mentally, on the gasgas, probably beta too.. Huh Lineaway?
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I have always been a second gear rider except for the Gas Gas. In the last few months of having the Gas Gas, I accidently geard it down and liked it since I could use second more. My dealer was out of 10 tooth sprockts so I tried a 9 and liked it.
    Not thaT I need to change the TRS, I just like a little more choice in my riding.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2020-05-27-20-56-17.png Screenshot_2020-05-27-20-56-02.png All boxed up and ready to ship.Thanks Stu at Jacks cycle.
    Buschog, Brewtus, Huzband and 3 others like this.
  10. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got some Gold today, excuse my messy shop

792835EC-03A2-482E-91DF-4CFFA88A0103.jpeg
    edgerat, jonnyc21, Huzband and 8 others like this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that looks a lot better than previous pictues. Very nice.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  12. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it’s a 19 Gold. I am glad to get it. I don’t really like the look of the 20 version.
    Norman Foley and Junglejeff1 like this.
  13. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    That's so cute you consider that "messy". :lol3

Nice scoot, though. :thumb
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding, just walking thrue the garage door today I tripped over some fantic parts.These people obviously don't appreciate old school lol.Messy garage means I am getting shit done (I lie to myself).I did put a new tire on the fantic tonight so I at least got something done.All stupid happy and cannot sleep well till my TRS gets here at fed ex drop station next week.
    DyrWolf, jonnyc21, LemmeTry and 2 others like this.
  15. Sting32

Oddometer:
    OK boyz, went for short ride without boots after work, and Ill be damned if somehow my shoe managed some how caught, and managed to pull on the frame protector enough to break what seems like just a skinny but wide diameter oring... I guess this time it will go back with safety wire.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I finally got a real ride on my TRS at San Ysidro yesterday. What an awesome bike. But it is so quick. It is going to take some time for my mind and body to catch up to how fast this bike handles. I decided to give it a good ride before I changed the gearing. I went out to the dirt hills to do some testing. Just crazy good, I could ride in first through fourth gear on the big dirt climbs. So that proved to me first was just way too fast. It is going to be an interesting learning curve.
    jonnyc21, Huzband, Gordy and 4 others like this.
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    See, us poor guys at sea level and stock gearing have to learn how to use the clutch and throttle. :D
    jonnyc21, Sting32, Brewtus and 2 others like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    THROTTLE control? How much throttle does it take to move from one level spot to another level spot.
  19. Sting32

Oddometer:
    A helluva lot less when I have the full 18HP, instead of the what, 12HP up in the high country? lol.

Get used to the gearing, you will love it. We're not riding "tractors" anymore. (Tractors, slow smooth etc... is what all my friends kept describing the beta's to me, for the past few years.) I got on one gassed it like I would my Gasgas at the time, due to lack of bike quickness, I jumped over the bars far enough to kiss the front fender.
    Takataka, Huzband and MT 007 like this.
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being I am making it so second gear can actually be used, I am not concerned. With the stock gearing, they might as well made it a 3 speed. Just had 1st, third and 5th.