Callouses, anyone?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by LemmeTry, Feb 20, 2018.

1. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    How do ya'll prevent painful callouses from riding? Callouses in and of themselves aren't the problem - I've always got them from doing pull-ups, weightlifting, and riding - the problem is that when I ride for several hours my callouses almost develop a blister underneath. It's painful.
    I always wear gloves and find that thin ones without seams are best for preventing "hot spots", but even that isn't enough the prevent the aforementioned problem.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    What grips are you running.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  3. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    How tight do you hold the grips ? First finger on a lever will let your hands relax.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
  5. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always use Talcum powder on my hands before putting on my Gloves & repeat any time I remove and replace the gloves , has worked for many many years !!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  6. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Talcum powder?! What exactly does that do that helps prevent callous problems?
  7. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    lowers the friction between your skin in the glove fabric/leather, makes a big difference.
    Norman Foley, LemmeTry and KevinBB like this.
  8. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your hands aren't relaxed most of the time you ride your technique probably needs tweaking.

When the rest of your body is being used more optimally, you can stay connected to the bike at the grips by pulsings of the gripping muscles instead of a more constant clamping.

Then again there is variability in how palm skin reacts to activity. You might have great technique but still build callouses. I get these thick pads on my outer knuckles and I'm not sure why.

IMG_20180220_224620.jpg

Ditto on talc! I put some in my gloves and that generally lasts through a 2-day event.
    LemmeTry likes this.
  9. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    @Wingboy - can't see the facebook post you linked to, it says that it is no longer available.

I'll give the talc powder a try next time. Also, I'll try to pay more attention to my technique, I'm sure there is always room for improvement there. ;)
  11. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not get calluses from riding, but I have worked in the trades most of my life so my hands are used to being used. I do however get sore wrists, again from working in the trades, and I tend to death grip the handle bars which is something I am working on.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  12. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    JFC people. Trim your callouses off with a single sided razor blade. I started doing that when I was about 16 and racing a bike with a Preston Petty front fender. :rolleyes
    If you let them get too big they WILL blister underneath. Beak a bone every once in a while, the callouses will go away then too.

What next, how do I keep sweat out of my eyes??????

:hide
    Nobade, LemmeTry and Fallacy like this.
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bar Risers.
    LemmeTry and Gordy like this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It could be your aggresive grip with soft grips causes friction. Try harder grips. I used to always bleed from my thumbs getting blistered.
  16. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Talcum works great in doubt but then you have to wash your gloves much more often.

You can too use different grips I don't like the modern ones most are to hard.other again too much too soft.

The standard Tomaselli grips sold for 30 works best, super grip and just right in hard- and softness. Too no big texture and still they stick in wet ir dry enviroment.

Anything else is just 2nd, it may look fancier but ergonomics is wahr we need.
  17. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  18. RainyDaze

RainyDaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding nearly every day in my yard during this Covid crisis, and this is the first time I've ever developed painful calluses on my palms. Riding my enduro bike a couple times a week I've never had an issue, and that's with long hot +60 mile rides with only one or two breaks. The first month of trials riding, no problems, but I was working on balance, figure 8's etc, not gripping the bars tight. Now that I'm spending more time working on wheelies, getting over larger logs, etc. the calluses on my palms are killing me. I know gripping the bars tight is the issue, but when I need to loft the front wheel or climb a hill you gotta hold on. Clearly I've gotta work on holding on with less grip.

I started shaving them down a couple weeks ago, which helped, but didn't fix it. I've taped them up, which also helps some, but is too big of a pain to do regularly. I switched to a tighter fitting grippier glove (TLD air) and they feel awesome, but they haven't help the calluses. I've resorted to giving them a break by doing more balancing, tight turns, and avoid the bigger obstacles for several days. When they feel much better I do a harder ride and after an hour or so they are pissed again.

I may swap out the grips to something bigger. The ODI lock on grips on my KTM 300 are quite a bit fatter than the TRS. Though, I've often heard people suggesting thinner grips.

Anyone else who rides 5-6 days a week struggle with this? How'd you fix it?
    riabma77 likes this.
  19. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-5-4_17-44-53.jpeg
    Ride like this guy
  20. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Who is that guy and is it photoshopped?