1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Callouses, anyone?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by LemmeTry, Feb 20, 2018.

1. IndyGasGas

IndyGasGas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use Renthal medium right now. Was thinking of adding a few like Hebo soft and others to my cart at splatshop since they're so cheap.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Change your gloves part way through the day. Even if they are not soaking with sweat, they are damp. A fresh pair makes a good difference.
    riabma77, Huzband, 2whlrcr and 2 others like this.
  3. RainyDaze

RainyDaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem like a friction/moisture issue, but more of a pinching problem. When you grip something narrow, the skin on your palm at the base of each finger is scrunched up, or folds over, and is kind of pinched between the base of the fingers and the grip on the bike. When the skin gets tough and calloused in those spots that pinching is very painful around the sides of the callous where the skin is still soft. When my hands have rested and feel pretty good, I can piss them off with just an hour of riding, so I don't think it is a moisture issue.

For longer rides, a glove change is a great idea.

My dealer is sending me some S3 asymmetrical grips, which are supposedly a bit fatter than the stock ones that came on my TRS. I'm hoping that helps.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fresh gloves make a pretty big difference for me. Washing the gloves after riding is important. It is what works for me.
    wheelieman14, 2whlrcr and RainyDaze like this.
  5. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I've had Renthal medium compound trials grips on my bike for a few months and while I really like the texture, they are a little smaller in diameter than the Domino trials dually grips and cause me more discomfort. I have small hands and the Dominos were so much more comfortable (less callousing and less fatigue) and I'm replacing the Renthals as soon as I can. I gave the Renthals a try and I'm done with them.

For callouses, I will shave them if they're really bad. During peak riding season I'll file/sand them down every week as a precaution. I had one break last summer and it was incredibly painful. Moiturizing every night helps a bit too.

I've ridden a trials bike with normal dirt bike grips (Renthal Pillow Tops or similar) and I felt a little disconnected from the bike. I sometimes think of running them anyway to give my hands a fighting chance.
    riabma77, Yinzer Moto and RainyDaze like this.
  6. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    01D91A89-E85E-4CF5-AF95-275077983ADF.jpeg Bad lupus flair up this week both hands and a toe B35A5AEF-7FB6-47AE-A5BB-6424F64DA21C.jpeg but with these grips i put about 18 easy mile on the mountain bike. Not a lot but better than nothing Hope i never need them on a dirt bike but solutions are out there if you need them
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best thing to do, IMO, is to shave them. After a shower, get them wet again at the sink with warm water and just run an old "face razor" over them in all directions until they are flush with the rest of your skin. And whenever you swap the blade in your razor you cycle in that old blade to be a new "hand razor."

As for grips, I run the ODI Rogue grips. They are larger diameter, similar to the OURY grips but less squirmy.
  8. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer: