Cam chain noise and oil light flicker

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TheDak, Aug 13, 2018.

1. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 990 adv with 76k KM on the clock, cam chains were replaced at 50k but not tensioners (dont know why the dealership only changed the chains and not the tensioners at the same time, or guide rails).

Oil pump was also replaced at the same time.

I have had the oil light flickering at idle for around 15k now, my oil pressure switch started leaking and replaced that with no difference to the flickering oil light, I saw one wave on the oil filter at last service so have purchased the water pump rebuild kit and will be doing that shortly as suspecting that is also on its way out.

The bike is sounding noisy now, sounds like cam chain noise and feeling rough \ vibrations from the engine.

I just want to find out , can the tensioners cause the oil light to flicker \ low oil pressure and therefore the cam chain noise? Im assuming yes because if they are faulty they wouldnt allow enough oil through?

Thanks!
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Changing tensioners was magic on my bike’s valvetrain noise but it never got bad enough to cause any oil light, just noisy. At first, I used the updated tensioner caps that were a few mm longer but changing the tensioners themselves was far more effective (while going back to the original tensioner caps)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Ok so might sort out my noise and then possibly the failing water pump causing the oil light flicker
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    A failing water pump seal will dump coolant into your oil and thin it out - that is a likely cause of the oil pressure warning light. Have you noticed milkiness in your oil and / or have you observed decreasing coolant levels?

5. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I havnt noticed any milkiness in the oil, I have taken the clutch cover off to check in there and dont see any issues, a slight loss of coolant though but very small amounts so i think it might be part of the issue for sure!

When changing the tensioners is there anything to watch out for or anything special to be aware of? Or just unscrew and replace?
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    For changing the tensioners, the front tensioner can be a pain to access on the Adv (its super easy on the SE) and I’ve read that some people like to “prime” new tensioners with oil but I popped mine in and ran the bike. Of course, there was noise at first until the new tensioners filled with oil and extended to the correct length. There is nothing to worry about in terms of valvetrain timing, etc so just pop the new ones in.

7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    While you have the cover off doing the water pump check the oil pump relief valve.
    wiseblood likes this.
  8. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks for the info, appreciate it, I also heard the front cylinder tensioner was a bit hard to get at, something about moving the oil tank might be needed, will see when I get in there I suppose :-)
  9. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will check this out as well, do you know what the process is to check this? Just a measurement I can take?
  10. wiseblood

wiseblood 100% "That Bitch" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oil pressure warning flickering at hot idle is a classic symptom of excessive clearance in main bearings, which causes too much oil to enter the bottom end, and not enough on the top end.

First things first: What weight oil are you using? 10w50?

A too-weak oil pressure relief valve... it’s a tempting option. Worth checking.

Ultimately, I would want to put an oil pressure gauge on the motor and see if it’s in spec at 5k rpms.
  11. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah using 10w 50, i would like to test the pressure as well, might invest in a gauge

I think this would be the process with the relief valve:

upload_2018-8-13_11-39-39.png
  12. 950trailrider

950trailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested in maybe pursuing this too, what is the part number for the newer replacement tensioner (same front and back cylinder I assume?)?
    From Alongat's comment - one should not have to use the updated caps?
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Tensioner part number is: 60036003000 - same for front and rear. I’d change the tensioners and go for a spirited ride before spending the money on the longer tensioner caps...

14. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be doing my maintenance soon along with a major service so will update here after
    alongat likes this.
  15. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oilpump is almost new, might be a waste of time..
  16. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 08 starts to make noise around 3000 miles. I usually change the oil then and it goes away.

Bike has 32K miles. All most all my riding is off road these days. I have no signs of water pump failure.
  17. 950trailrider

950trailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alongat - puzzled though - that 6003600300, is the same part number as listed for my 04 Adv S and years after that?
    Was the part updated without a part number change? How would one tell the difference ( how would the dealer or anybody distinguish when ordering this part?
    I remember seeing a new part number for the updated longer cap somewhere on this forum (60036008100) which my Canadian dealer said did not exist or was not available to them.
    gousfrabba likes this.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    So now I’m confused. I thought you were looking for the part number for the actual chain tensioner which is what I posted. Are you saying you’re looking for the part number for the longer length tensioner cap?

19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    If you’re looking for the part number for the longer tensioner caps, it’s the number you posted - 60036008100

20. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So got into the maintenance today and found no signs of water in the oil so havnt done the water pump.

I did find that the camchain tensioner on the front cylinder was installed what looks like the wrong way around if I reference the manual.

So the thinner end into the engine and the solid blank part on the outside. In the manual it shows a picture of both tensioners being installed with the thin part on the outside.

The tensioner was also fully compressed...not sure if that's right. The rear seemed fine and was installed the right way.

The cap wasn't even pushing on the tensioner on the front cylinder.

Havnt put the bike back together yet as still need shims and need to buy.

Will report if that was the oil light flickering issue.

Not sure how the tensioner works but what would it being installed backwards cause of anyone knows?
    alongat likes this.