Cam chain noise and oil light flicker

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by TheDak, Aug 13, 2018.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yeah...that’s incorrect. Wow...They are
    both meant to go in the same way, with the thinner section outward. Sounds like it was fully collapsed...this is likely your issue. Let us know how you get on with the new ones installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just for reference heres a picture from the manual for the front cylinder and how the tensioner is supposed to go in:

upload_2018-8-20_11-13-46.png
    roookie1 likes this.
  3. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I think I can safely say after going on a few hard rides this week I havnt seen the oil light again after changing the tensioner to a new one and installing it the right way
    nk14zp, alongat and Racer111v like this.
  4. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have gone ahead and bought a couple tensioners. They will get installed the next time i'm working on the 950.
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Don’t you just love when things actually work out? :)

Glad you got it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheDak likes this.
  6. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine will occasionally, after hard riding in two track areas, get "hot" and go into a really low idle at a stop and the oil light comes on and the rpms just barely keep the bike running. If its low - add. If its not, blip the throttle and it goes away for another month. I think its just a crappy idle due to it being hot/tps/throttle whatever - unless is short of oil. If one of the 5 gaskets is leaking it lets me know this way it needs more.
  7. 950trailrider

950trailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alongat, sorry for not responding any sooner, I was away doing the Alcan 5000.

My point on the chain tensioner - 6003600300, is that the part number has not changed, it is the same part number as listed for my 04 Adv S and years following that.

So, no revision, how would I know (or the dealer parts person) if I am getting an old or an updated part?

(typically the last few digits of the part number would change, like on the tensioner cap, which went from 60036008000 to 60036008100 (and which according to my Canadian dealer is not available))
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The actual tensioners have not changed over the years. The other part number we've discussed here relates to the longer tensioner caps themselves.

PS: how was the Alcan? It's on my list of to-dos once I'm back in the Western Hemisphere
  9. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I’m going to be replacing my cam chain tensioners soon with new OEM ones but I had a question I can’t seem to find the answer for. When I search on YouTube I keep finding videos of people using a dime and a nickle to “load” the tensioner and lock it in place. Does this have to be done for installation, or do you simply install it just how it shows in the picture from the manual above? I haven’t seen any mention of “loading” the CCT prior to installation in any threads, only on YouTube.

Thoughts?

Jacob
  10. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jacob,

I didn't need to do anything else with the tensioners, I just put them in as shown and that was that.

Havnt had any issues or funny sounds \ oil light flicker but maybe others can comment as well that have installed them
    roookie1 likes this.
  11. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

The bike is in pieces as I am doing a valve adjustment right now, so I have perfect access to both front and rear tensioners. Just to be certain, you just removed the old tensioners and installed the new ones in the correct orientation exactly how they came from the dealer? Maybe that locking method is for another bike with limited clearance? Idk...
  12. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah just like that, no hassles, was pretty easy to do, just the front was a little hard to get into but I didn't have the bike apart.

I also saw something about loading the tensioners and things like that but it doesn't mention anything in the service manual and it's pretty thorough
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  13. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great news! Thanks for your help buddy. I’ll do this in the next couple days.
    TheDak likes this.
  14. TheDak

TheDak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the only info in the manual

Screenshot_20190313-071911.jpeg

Screenshot_20190313-071831.jpeg
    JacoBeRacing and roookie1 like this.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Preventive maintenance or timing chain noise?
  16. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. It was noisy w/flickering light on warm restarts, like after a gas stop.
    nk14zp likes this.
  17. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    @Racer111v
    just circling back around to this one, did you get those new tensioners installed and how did it turn out?

Mine only rattles a bit at idle after a hard hot ride. At that point, I just don't let it idle long. If I'm waiting for the lesser bikes to catch up on the trail (you know the ones with only 1 cyl) I just shut her down and then when we are ready to go, start up and ride away. The rattle disappears at about 100 rpm over a hot idle. At 55k miles on the 950 now, so I figure it can't hurt to drop in some new tensioners.
  18. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    I am at 70000km and having this exact issue. Please post back if you find a solution. Usually I notice it when I am doing a lot of rocky hill climbing. Get to the top of a hill and stop and the rattle starts. A short blip usually sorts it or I just hold the throttle open a hair and it ceases. Almost never happens just cruising on pavement. I do have the oil pressure valve to replace this winter.
  19. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    This is in the manual for the 1190. The 1190 requires that you compress the tensioner with a washer/nickle/shim under it and it sorta 'locks' into it's shortest configuration. The caps on the 1190 have a little access hole that you can stab the tensioner through to unlock it and let it expand. I wonder if they did this on the 1190 for convenience since you need to take the tensioners out to adjust the valve clearance and it's easier to install the tensioner in the collapsed state.

I've never taken my 990 tensioners out so I am not sure if they also do that nifty locking trick but in any case I dont think on the 990 there is a way to unlock them once they are installed (the caps look solid).
  20. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine still rattles at idle when hot. A little flickering of the oil pressure light also. More so on older oil (Shell Rotella 10-40w). If l crack the throttle a little, 2k ish, both the rattle and oil pressure light go away. I think l am around 38k miles. I may change the oil pump and see if that helps.
    Greedyg76 likes this.