Cam chain noise

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rwcfrank01, Feb 11, 2020.

1. rwcfrank01

rwcfrank01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in the market for a used F800GS and looked at one today. It was loaded with goodies like Matris fork inserts and Wilburs rear shock etc. when the owner fired it up from cold I heard the cam chain slap for about 2 seconds then the noise went away and the bike purred. Is this normal? 42,000 kilometers on the odo.
    sieg likes this.
  2. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Normal mine has F800GS 85000 KM on current engine it all good
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  3. rwcfrank01

rwcfrank01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did it make the noise when new?
  4. nonchuck

nonchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine did/does.
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  5. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  6. adventuro

adventuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2010 has done it since day one, hasn't gotten any worse, 36,000 miles later. Wife's 2017 700gs can set for a month and no rattle on start up. I think they redesigned the tensioner at some point.
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  7. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    As long as it goes quiet then there is no issue.
    sieg likes this.
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    My 2013 800 had the rattle at 20,000 miles when I got it. I got tired of hearing it plus every once in a while it made a rattle for a split second sitting at a stop so I decided it was time to do the manual tensioner as linked to previously rather than take a chance.
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  9. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    SnDrtRider what brand did you get ?
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  10. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The California Motor Works one linked to above by Kaspilo...
    When I did the install I pulled the cam cover and check the valve clearance while I was in there as well.
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great time to install the tensioner. I won't be doing the same, however, at a cost of $250 per bike(we have 2) in Cdn funds I can't justify that cost for a simple tensioner. I've installed them on other bikes but that is just a bit too much graft for me.
    I guess if you make it for a BMW and there are no competitors? Similar (most) tensioners are in the $US30-60 range, which is more palatable.
    Anybody know of alternative manufacturers?
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  12. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The thing is most of the tensioners on bikes that have tensioners available for $40-$60 have a problem that their tensioners lock and cannot collapse but in locking they put too much tension on and cause the chain to stretch.
    The BMW tensioners rely on oil pressure to keep them tight without applying too much pressure which is a good thing EXCEPT if you stall a bike on an uphill and for some reason you roll backwards with the clutch out the timing chain can easily jump a tooth without the oil pressure keeping the tensioner snug.

When I bought mine a few years ago they were $170 (us)... I would rather spend $170 or even $250 to prevent a problem that could result in a repair bill in the thousands.
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't argue with that, but I have never heard of that happening in over 50 years of wrenching my stuff. I am referring to tensioners that don't ratchet, are fully manual, which is the only type I have actually installed to date. It does take some care to get them just right during the initial install. So that's why I thought the perfect time to do this is while in there checking Valve clearances and can pay extra attention to the manual tensioner and get the tension set just as it should be.
    If I thought this would ward off a serious issue the tensioner would be changed, I just have never heard of this happening. There are other good reasons to change the tensioner....but I'd prefer a less costly option, given that I'd be looking at over $500 to do both our bikes.
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  14. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    there's a thread here somewhere where an inmate was machining the plunger with tighter tolerances to build pressure faster i think and had good luck with it iirc. i thought he was going to produce them.
    rwcfrank01 and shuswap1 like this.
  15. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I think shimming the spring or a slightly heavier spring would work as well.
    I wonder if anyone has compared a new spring to a used one both free length and tension?
    rwcfrank01 likes this.
  16. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have. I replace my stock tensioner every 12-18K miles. The new spring is always about 1mm longer than the used one coming out. I have often considered shimming the spring with a 1mm washer of some sort but never found anything I felt confident using.
    rwcfrank01 and SnoDrtRider like this.
  17. Shakey23

Shakey23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 96,000 miles on my 2013 800. It just makes noise. If it goes away it’s fine. I replaced my timing chain at 75,000 miles via the master link method posted on this site. It wasn’t difficult. While there I checked the valve clearance and they were still in spec. I change my oil every 5,000 miles. It’s a beast. Runs like a champ and I would highly recommend buying one! At 90,000 miles I took in on a 2,000 mile trip to Colorado and rode around on the alpine loop. I did have some cosmetic damage from dropping it but nothing that made me have to stop riding. I would recommend a GSA rather than the standard GS as they have a larger fuel tank. Going across New Mexico got a little hairy! Fuel stations are few and far between sometimes!
    shuswap1 likes this.
  18. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had or have 2, 700gs, 1, 650 twin gs, 1, 800 gs. They all did/do it. The highest mileage one at 85000 of course did it the worst. (Or best, the way I look at it.) I would not use a manual adjuster because the factory one confirms two thing at start up. 1, I have good oil pressure, 2, my cam chain tensioner is working.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  19. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    And not having the risk with a wrongly adjusted manual tensioner leading to too much wear.
    shuswap1 and sieg like this.
  20. rwcfrank01

rwcfrank01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked this up with 12000 kilometers, no cam chain noise, yet 60341815635__6E8E0182-1E26-4645-923F-762262C6D4F3.jpg