1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Cambodia: Cardamon mountains on a 125cc Street bike?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by MIOB, Dec 7, 2015.

1. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a same that nobody can tell us anything about this road, even the locals don't seem to know. Without any information we Just can't taken the risk. We will take the long way round on the paved roads :(
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never been to that road, or actually the proper Cardamom Mountains myself. But I have ridden from Thailand to Cambodia and v.v. many times, and in that area it was always via Pailin to Battambang, or Koh Kong to (near) Sihanoukville. And although this was years ago, at least back then the routes through those mountains were considered very challenging, lightweight dirt bike territory. Probably depends on if it rains, or has rained lately, too. I have no up to date info, though.

edit. Google Maps does actually appear to show some sort of road going between Pursat and Koh Kong, I did not know that such road existed, and a quick search seems to tell, that it is indeed relatively new (that link is 4 years old):

https://responsiblenomad.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/cycling-across-the-cardamom-mountain-range-day-4/

"
    Road conditions depend on season and weather usually. As I wrote, there is a brand new dirt road between Pursat and Koh Kong city – so now you can make the journey in a taxi I believe, if not a sturdy hired moto. If you arrive after rainy season, I’d recommend hiring motos in Battambang and crossing the Cardamoms in a day or so that way. There is a massive waterfall near the new road and dam I wrote about (unfortunately) – if you are coming soon after rainy season, it should be in its full glory. Not sure if the dam has altered the watefall – let’s hope not. If you are coming before November, the road conditions might not allow for the trip in a day. I am not sure, however, given the new roads going up so quickly. My trip was nearly a year ago, so the road could very well leveled dirt and quite nice.
    "
  4. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We decided to go for the 'save' option and went from Pursat to the Kirirom Park in a single day yesterday and on to Koh Kong today. The main route from Pursat in te direction of Phnom Penh was horrible, so we decided to take more of the back roads and had a great time there:

The road today to Koh Kong was absolutely mind blowing, even on the crappy bikes we rented (which we do handle with great care by the way, even if it may not seem so in the youtube vid).

We'll try and get into the Cardamons from Koh Kong.
  5. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Been through there on a wr450 but saw locals on their scooters just about everywhere