Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam travel info

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Brendan J, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Hello All, I will be spending the whole month of Feb 16 in Vietnam on holiday.

I will be riding around on a motorbike of some description. I would like to enter into Cambodia and Laos at some point for a quick look around. The question(s) I need answered are, will I have any issues in getting a Vietnamese registered bike that will not be registered in my name into either Cambodia or Laos. Do I need a carnet or some sort of permit to cross over into either country ? Can tourist visas be issued going into either Cambodia or Laos at the border ?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
  2. fatgut

fatgut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    When you purchase the bike you will be given the rego papers, That is proof of ownership . You can take a Vietnamese purchased bike into Cambodia and Laos without any other paper work with no problems (under 175cc). A visa from Vietnam into Cambodia is done at the border at time of entry. I am currently also looking at same and doing prices ect. Good bikes can be bought in Vietnam for $300 US just keep under 175cc or it gets very hard. You can do same in Cambodia with a buy back guarantee from some shops.

Kev.
  3. fatgut

fatgut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Kev, much appreciated.
  5. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Started to consolidate all of my SE Asia and US stuff in this website, you can passby for some info you may need: http://viethorse.com
    Cheers!
  6. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fantastic trip ahead of you, Brendan. :clap
    Brendan J likes this.
  7. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am hoping it will be Nev.
  8. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    All the ingredients are there mate. You just need to put them altogether and have a ball. :thumb
    Brendan J likes this.
  9. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    So the trip has begun. HCM traffic makes Melbourne traffic look like walk in the park.
  10. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Was just in Kampot,Cambodia and was talking to a couple from Vietnam on bikes. Apparently you can, ride a Vietnam licensed bike VN into Cam then Laos but not from VN directly into Laos
  11. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:

Not true, it can be done from Na Meo in the north and the southern most Lao border crossing near Attapeu will also allow a VN plated bike into Lao. I hear the northern most crossing may allow of your license plate starts with the number of the province...... But I can't confirm
  12. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    You must be right what would a person born and raised in Vietnam know? Plus rules constantly change
  13. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I am right!
    I've personally done it, so I do know more than a Vietnamese that hasn't done it

Any more questions?
  14. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    How do you know she hasn't tried? beside they may have made allowances for the dumb foreigner.:flip
  15. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My European friends were able to get their Honda win clones across the Laos border with whatever crossing is the nearest to Sapa. It took them a few hours of convincing them and cost 30 dollars per bike. They said it was stressful, but the border guards allowed them to take pictures of the paperwork signing and then of the guards smiling next to the bikes. Your results could vary they were stoked to make it across.
    This was in mid November.
  16. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea it's not a big ordeal. When I crossed at Na Meo. I met 5 others who did the same cross that day. The next day I met 5 more. Viet to Laos seems to be a common route for the viet plated bikes even if Aussie wankers tell you it's not possible
  17. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    viethorse, can you reccomend a motorcycle rental place in hoi chi mihn city? wanting a XR 250 or similar for june. thanks.
  18. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I was merely passing on info supplied by a Vietnamese rider, maybe it only applied to viet passport holders, but GTR site still says that border crossing is hit and miss. However you can get across most borders in s e asia with the right "stamping" or processing fee, a legal and all the paperwork crossing can be a different story. I can see why your called "yanks"
  19. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We all appreciate you're inaccurate second hand information and hope to receive some more useful tidbits in the future. :topes
  20. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    :csm
    Yes and we all appreciate your expertize after one trip to Vietnam and Laos , perhaps people should pm you on all matters as only you know the truth.
    However been there done that and don't give a fuck what you tell people.they will work it out when they get there´┐╝:csm
    Watercat likes this.