Camel tank not feeding issues.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Mauser556, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed a camel tank and been running it tye past two weeks. Last week I'm pretty sure I overfill both camel and main tank and now my camel tank is not filling into the main.

Any hints or tips to solve or reprime the system? It only drained the camel tank halfway, now its not flowing on at all.

Sorry, this is for the red headed step child f800gs.
  2. eri

eri Long timer

Oddometer:
    airlock? syphon?
    Mauser556 likes this.
  3. Mauser556

Oddometer:
    I just opened up the main fuel cap and I didn't have a vacuum when it popped open.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are only three or so openings for that aux tank, iirc. I'll vote for the feed line being crimped, obstructed, etc.

I thought those simple systems were gravity fed. There's really little to go wrong.

And if the main tank were to have slight negative pressure, then that should suck fuel out of the aux tank even better. So I'm betting on something clogging the feed line.
    Mauser556 likes this.
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search for the thread I started after beta testing it.
    It carries the fix you need with pictures.
    Search under my username.
  6. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Mauser556

Oddometer:
    I looked through that page on the modify; however it seems my 2009 f800gs has something...completely different.

Fuel is coming out of the fueling side of the camel tank, but through the line. The line is clear as I could blow through it, but was getting back pressure coming back from the main tank. The pressure line going to the top of the camel tank also pushed air freely when the cap is off.

This is my vent assembly.

20200929_202006.jpg
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute!

You're asking about an 800cc bike?

If so, this 1200+ cc board has little clue.
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha.... sorry for laughing. Yeah the 8GS is a bit different. It just happened that I also beta tested the Camel tank on my 8GS.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/camel-tank-installed.918848/page-4
    Post #78

If you are getting fuel back from the main tank then try the following. Dont fill the main tank beyond the stand pipe. It is red in color. If you fill past that you increase the level so the vent is now covered in gas and as fuel degasses said fuel will either go into your Charcoal canister or in your case into the camel tank which is full and then into the charcoal canister. Two things wrong with that. Several 8GS have had tanks delam due to over pressure because you overfill the main tank and as vapors cant escape the system as fuel is now in the vent lines it fills the charcoal canister up with gas which over time will degrade the carbon possible getting sucked back into your tank, and bad things happen.
    Only way you can get fuel going that way is by overfilling as the vent sits higher than the filler point. I suspect that if you leave gas to the bottom of the stand pipe you will only get fumes back to the camel which will bubble through the full camel and escape through out the clear line next to the camel filler.
    Try that first, and mods..... Perhaps you can fling this thread over to the PA where you will receive a whole lot more help.
    :thumb:thumb
  10. Mauser556

Oddometer:
    Ohhh...thats what I did wrong.:lol3

Like I said in my original post, I pretty sure I over filled it. I think i got the kinks out. Im sitting with a 1/3 of a tank in the main with a 90% full camel. Whats the best way to see if it will start putting fuel in the main while on a run with my current levels?

I'm blowing air into the clear tube and I'm see fuel trickle into the tank from the vent line. So I gather that's working.
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just leave the camel where it is right now and fill the main up to the bottom of the neck while bike is on the side stand.
    Ride it and after 50 miles the main should still be full as indicated on your fuel gauge and the came should draw down.
    That whole transfer does slow a bit at very high temps and on wash boards as you now have a lot of fuel degassing trying to escape the main tank..... but it will eventually draw from the camel.
    Mauser556 likes this.
  12. Mauser556

Oddometer:

Got. I guess doing 60mph on a dirt road with some washboard had something to with it.

It general takes 80-100 miles for me to hit half tank on mine.