1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    For the record, my Mavic always stays in my backpack and is never directly on the bike, especially when riding offroad. The only exception is driving on the freeway for hours and then I'll still try and isolate it from the bike's vibrations as much as I can..
  2. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    A rig turned off will not be hurt riding around.
    I have probably 25,000 miles on many different size rigs in all kinds of cases. Watched the Airline guys throw my Pelican cases 10 feet off the plane to the ground and all was fine.

The sensors in the flight controls of the DJI gear is Gas bubbles floating in a vacuum in a chip. When they are not energized they are fine to take shocks.
    Now i don't; mean chuck your rig into an unpadded saddle bag as physical damage could happen, but if the rig is secure in a holding device and not getting smashed about enough to break the physical model, the flight control will be fine.
    dmac1 and SpeedyR like this.
  3. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Fair point.. I was more concerned about the longevity of the gimbal but I always use the locking clamp so it shouldn't move at all..

What I do carry in my tankbag is the remote with (a dedicated) phone attached - that cuts down the setup time quite a bit. Stop, get the drone, let it boot up, switch on the remote/phone and by the time they're up and running the drone has typically acquired GPS and is ready to go.. takes maybe 2 minutes to be in the air. What also helps when riding with someone is to tell them to go up the road and then turn around and come back.. that way you get more footage and b, they're not waiting for you 1 mile down the road wondering where the hell you are while you're bringing the drone back and packing it up again and only then catching up to them..
    Sleepyc and SpeedyR like this.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    did the second test. I didn't realize I mounted the cam wrong on this flight till I got home and looked at the video, noob mistake. I learned a few more things, 18-24 mph winds is too much to get real good video.

Other then the gimbal in the pic and the drone getting blown around it didn't come out too bad. I should filmed at a lower alt too. Testing continues....
    BillUA, The Virginian, Halen and 4 others like this.
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Successful 2nd practice session. :thumbup

Great topic and have learned a lot already.
    The Virginian likes this.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Neat vid. When shooting from the front, how did the drone know to pan out and then chase you.
  7. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about this as well; the videos I've seen of Active Track from the DJI Mavic Pro don't seem to handle this as well.. But i haven't played with mine in Active Track mode much yet, aside from a test or two. The Staaker has me intrigued, since I already own a GoPro I would just need to pick up the drone.
  8. samalama

samalama Where we going? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Mavic Air and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Once I get it, I'll do some follow me testing and post for you guys. I too live in NM and have the luxury of minimal trees to contend with.
  9. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    There sure are some good spots to test in NM - the follow shots around 3:07 were taken using Follow me..

dmason, liv2day, AtomicGeo and 3 others like this.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It doesn't really know to do that, basically it's trying to calculate a standoff distance and it's easy to overwhelm that calculation the faster you accelerate when the drone is backing up, if I was to accelerate slowly it would have stayed out front but once you catch up to it to a certain point the drone will go off to the side, then revert to follow mode. It does a decent job of keeping up with acceleration in most modes except when it's in front of you.
    The Virginian, brianpc and Maggot12 like this.
  11. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    You really caught my attention with this thread, good stuff! I'll keep watching!
  12. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent topic, RideFreak. On photo.net there is a section for drones that may be of interest to you and others. I think there are many who are considering the whole idea of drone shooting.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/forums/aerial-and-drone.2603/

Question for you though. In the first video the color balance for the sky was off--it was very aqua colored and the highlights of the clouds in the sky look maybe blown. I did not notice that in the second vid. Was that in the camera or post or growing pains?
    Thanks for starting the thread and happy droning! Propeller side up!
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I was using pro tune and the monitor i'm using doesn't reproduce colors accurately so when I edit and color correct it's jacked up. I'm going to go back to not using Protune.
    Uncle Bugga and JayElDee like this.
  14. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat thread, I don’t own a drone but will relate a story.

I was walking the dog a few weeks ago along a local trail when I came across a DJI Mavic Pro laying in the middle of the trail. It was the morning after that bid Nor’easter came through a few weeks ago. Drone was in perfect condition with one blade broken off of one rotor.

I brought it home and pulled the SD card and there was some pics and video of the drone flying in the area where I found it. The date stamp was 12/28, mind you this is now the middle of March.

I got GPS data from a few of the pics which were taken Christmas Day at a home in NJ. I sent a letter to the address relaying the story of finding the drone.

Guy got it for Christmas in NJ and came here on vacation and lost it 12/28. It must have been stuck in a tree all that time and the severe winds knocked it down.

The drone was in perfect condition and 100% operational. Guy was super stoked to get it back.

DJI makes some good stuff!
    KTMInduro, dmac1, BillUA and 11 others like this.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Speed Test of the new drone

16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Flight #3
  17. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice videos ridefreak
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ck, I'm still figuring out what works best.
  19. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Thanks for posting these RideFreak...
    For me, having the perspective from the drone makes the video one that I'd rather watch,
    as compared to a helmet cam video of the same ride.
    Mixing the two views together like you did really adds to the "I wanna see this one" factor.
    Obviously the terrain will dictate your choices when making these videos; but for me, the sequence
    where you had the drone orbiting you as you rode was the best. Probably gobbles up battery power faster doing that?

In any case thanks, please keep them coming. With a high temp of 30f up here over the border by International Falls today,
    viewing these is a nice reminder of what suffering other folks are going through in all that heat..:jack
  20. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree - the drone perspective is so much better than helmet camera footage. I used to carry a handheld camcorder along with a helmet camera in order to get two perspectives to mix together. Pure helmet footage often gets boring quickly.

People often suggest I get a drone, but I gave up carrying my camcorder because the people I ride with now (including my own kids) ride too fast and don't want to stop while I set up to film. With a drone, these issues are even bigger.

So I am keen to learn from your experience. Especially once you get some time on a typical ride with others.
    * How long do the batteries last?
    * Is it easy to swap batteries on the trail?
    * How does it work in more rugged terrain with trees or cliffs?
    * How long does it take to set up and take down?
    * How patient do your riding buddies need to be?
    * Do you get enough total footage to justify lugging it around all day?
    * How do you carry it?

These are basically the same questions you started with, and will soon be able to answer on your own :-)