Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I need to check that place out, it's really nice looking.
    FTL900 likes this.
  2. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    In the US, National parks and most state parks are no-fly. This was neither of those.
    It was indeed a very sparsely populated area, only because I was in the park early on Friday morning. On holidays and many weekends it's a traffic jam.

This causes me a great dilemma... with the beacon, I hadn't really thought of it as "flying the drone" altho I'm sure the FAA would see me as the responsible drone operator, so from a legal standpoint, I am flying it. Here's the rub. 90% of why I bought this is to get action shots of motorcycles doing the same thing my truck was doing. Here's where it gets tough. If I'm on a bike with the beacon in my pocket, I'm riding it while flying. If I'm in a chase truck and someone else is driving, the drone is going to follow the beacon, not me.

The only way I can figure to make this work is to hand the beacon to a motorcycle passenger so they're technically flying it while I'm doing the riding, and the drone will follow the beacon which is still on my bike.
  3. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Here's the answer I got from another drone webpage. It's so difficult to get anything straight from the FAA. Still searching for a more definitive answer.
    Can I fly while driving a car?

"Yes – as long as you are located in a sparsely populated area.
    If you wish to fly in a populated area, you need to apply for a Part 107 waiver.
    And the chances of procuring one are slim to say the least.
    Remember, while flying from a moving vehicle is permitted, flying OVER one is not."
  4. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meh. You’re getting too worried about this. Where you ride isn’t gonna be an issue. Just use it responsibly
    CaseyB and FTL900 like this.
  5. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    OK, here it is from the FAA webpage.

"You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. (double negative there, but move along)
    No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area."

As far as flying over people, the majority of the time I wasn't even flying over the road, but off to the side over terrain. It's easy enough to keep it off to one side or the other, as I'm not really interested in front or rear shots. It's easy enough to switch it from left side to right side without flying over anyone else or their vehicle.

As far as sparsely populated, I don't even go into the park when it's crowded, and I wouldn't consider a "follow me" flight unless it was pretty empty. It gets too difficult to manage so many variables.

With a 13-mile one way loop and a 35 mph speed limit, it's pretty easy to get into a gap with no one coming behind me and just stay in that gap. There are occasional parking lots on either side, but again, it's just a matter of positioning the drone on the other side of the road while passing them, to not fly over people or vehicles with people in them.

I think I can do this in total compliance.
    RideFreak likes this.
  6. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    It's totally gorgeous and only 15 minutes west of town. It's a 13-mile one way loop, with 2 paved lanes so slower drivers can creep along on the right while sightseeing, and others can easily get around them and pass. Probably half a dozen pull-off parking lots.

It's so cool because it's a national conservation area according to their webpage, and it specifically states that drones are allowed to fly with a couple of caveats that include areas that are difficult to get to anyway. At the same time, my national park pass gets me in the door. So it's kind of straddling a line there, but it's good for us.

When I stopped the video, I pulled into a parking lot and 3 guys came walking over before I was even out of the truck... this guy yells at me "is that the new skydio??" Seems they were out there flying FPV home made drones. The strapped goggles on me for a ride-along and it was amazing.

This is from earlier this year when we had a 10 year snow, shot with a Mavic Pro. The park was closed to vehicle traffic but I was able to fly in from a public overlook at the edge of the park and get some great pictures.

[​IMG]
    TaZ9, 5th-Elefant, Albie and 2 others like this.
  7. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rearrange the sentence and it'll make sense, hence no double negative:

You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not inside a covered stationary vehicle
    - not directly participating in the operation
    - not under a covered structure, or
    FTL900 likes this.
  8. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gorgeous

is your MP modded ?
  9. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Nope, bone stock other than a strobe light on the bottom, but I sold the MPP and my P4P when the Skydio was about to release.
    I felt like both were going to take a significant hit in value once the Skydio became more well known.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice pic FTL
    FTL900 likes this.
  11. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to the app.. you're good to go there.. all the way to Sumerlin.

But ya, most of the "rules" boil down to "don't be annoying, stupid, or dangerous to people, other vehicles, or aircraft"

which, by the way, happened locally just last week. The news chopper struck a drone in flight. Small amount of damage to the helo but could have been really ugly.
  12. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True. But the MP is the hot item
    ah. I think the MP will still hold value until they figure out the altitude hack for the m2p/m2z; at least that's what I'm hoping for and why I'm holding on to my m2p ha. one day....
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sorry I even said something, sounds like you're covered. Thanks for posting the video and the cool pics.
    FTL900 likes this.
  14. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    kinda strange that I haven't received my order notice seeing I was minutes behind FTL. Neither has my son and he was minutes behind me. Maybe it's not going in the same order as the orders came in???

ya, patience isn't my strong suit.
  15. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, I was just thinking about this today. And ProTip to whoever is on the forum that is the Skydio rep: From the bottom of my heart, thank you for prolonging this process in the weeks before Christmas - you know, the time of year when lots of people have an extra $1400 lying around for these kinds of purchases. Guess I'm not baller! :)
  16. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    woop woop woop...

FINALLY!!! and I almost accidentally deleted the email. doh! :loco

:happay :rilla
    RideFreak likes this.
  17. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    @RideFreak @Levvy @FTL900 - Did I read/hear somewhere that the R2 requires 2 micro cards?

I bought a Lexar. Was the fastest I could find. Hope it works.. although I rarely shoot in 4k.

Lexar Card
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It only takes one. On the beta versions the 2 card slots under the battery were visible, on the production version one is covered up by permanent tape.
    Todd157k likes this.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty fast card. I usually don't film in 4K ether, it can be buggy on the gopro's sometimes, probably the cards I use. With the SD2 it's pretty easy and it worked flawless during testing with the SD Ultras, I'm pretty sure those cards will work great for you.
    Todd157k likes this.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    My Skydio Backpack Setup

I think I mentioned before the Klim pack held the Skydio setup pretty well and wasn't too bulky. I wanted to share my current setup for any of you who plan to carry the SD2 in a backpack on your motorcycle. Obviously the SD2 isn't as small as a Mavic or an Anfi but I've come up with an updated setup that's perfect for the SD2. I have an older version of the Klim NAC Pac that I used to carry the SD2 they lent me which worked well but I had to attach the Beacon somewhere. I hung it off the shoulder strap with a tiewrap which was pretty shadetree IMO. I recently picked up Klim's newer version of the NAC Pac and it's going to work allot better.

Here's a picture of the SD2 inserted into Klim's newest NAC Pac. You can see it slides down nicely between the removable tool pack and the main compartment. No need to unzip the backpack to get the drone out. The way the backpack is designed there's a picket between the outer compartment and the main area of the backpack with mesh on the sides. The SD2 case's width is correct, just wide enough to fit down in that pocket snugly w/o being too difficult to remove. The 2 straps used to hold on the removable tool pouch clip over the SD2's case capturing it in the pocket.

[​IMG]

There's multiple zippered pockets, a rear outer pocket that works well for sunglasses, ball cap, leatherman etc... it's the area where you see Klim spelled out.

Right in back of that is a removable zippered tool pouch that can be used or not, nice to have with straps to keep the tools organized.
    [​IMG]

Above that is a zippered goggle pouch made out of similar material as the SD2's case. What's nice about this pocket is it holds 2 batteries nicely with enough room to buffer them with something like the cloth drawstring crown royal pouches, considering that the SD2's case also holds 2 batteries I can ride out knowing I have 120min of filming.
    [​IMG]

The zipper across the top and back is the main compartment, typical size, enough room for tire irons, tube and hand pump plus a 3L water bladder and a mid ride snack.

Another cool feature is the shoulder straps. They clip together with a quick clasp similar to the Kriega packs. Klim incorporated 2 small zippered pockets in lower front of the shoulder straps. For me, one will hold the beacon and the other will carry SD cards and GoPro batteries.

[​IMG]

Here's a side pic showing the SD2 case in the backpack.
    [​IMG]

It's like the pack was designed for this purpose; carrying the SD2, it's batteries, tools, tubes and the other paraphernalia needed for filming off a dirtbike. I know that's a lot of stuff to carry on your back but considering that with a 25L kriega pack all I can squeeze in is my Staaker and 2 batteries this is a huge improvement. I typically don't carry that much stuff on a single ride but when I DS ride out in places like Utah I would carry all of the item's I mentioned. All this setup adds to a typical backpack setup is the weight of the SD2 and it's extra batteries. For dirt bike rides it'd be a little less but not much.

I did a lot of looking before selecting another Klim pack, I own an earlier version of this same pack and liked it for the versatility. The main disadvantage I saw with most of the other packs is they would require I store the SD2 inside with my water bladder and when doing that it limits what else I can carry along. The water thing probably wouldn't be an issue but if it was who wants to risk $1000. This way I can still carry all the items I would typically with only the added bulk of the drone and the small pockets on the front are a nice touch. No affiliation with Klim, this recently cost me $99 bucks which I think is reasonable considering what I'm asking it to hold.

Anyway I wanted to share what I think is going to be a great setup.