Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Good to see it's still moving forward Brian!
    brianpc likes this.
  2. ATadam

ATadam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post RideFreak, I had never even heard of the Skydio brand but after your videos I did some research and just pre-ordered one.
    RideFreak likes this.
  3. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shoot, by the time you get yours, DjI will have come out with their version in the masses. HUGE DJi fan, but I will say that S2 and now even Autel (Evo 2 due in Jan) have stepped up their game tremendously. Finally some competition so that DJI doesn't have the drone market cornered. Anxious to see what DJI puts out next.
  4. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the only downside to Skydio. They came up with a fantastic product, but they're penalized with limitations of scalable USA manufacturing. I love the fact that it's being made here, but a 9 month wait is forever in the world of today's gadgets. A proper contract manufacturer should be able to deliver the entire back order log in less than 90 days.
  5. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup. agree. I was looking to order one, but 3rd / 4th quarter of 2020? that's post-summer. I can't wait 7-12 months for something when it comes to technology.
  6. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Manufacturing is pretty much the same anywhere in the world, at least as far as plant capacity goes. I can't see any reason they couldn't pump these out just as fast as an overseas factory... must be some other reason behind it.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It sucks to want something like the SD2 and be told you must wait almost a year. I'm sure they wish that wasn't true, every company wants to meet the demand for their product and they'll likely lose a bunch of sales due to the backlog. If they could fix it I'm sure they would. There's also the reputation at risk here, if they push these out the door too quickly and have issues (think Karma) that's a death toll to a company who only sells drones. Like RWJ said, in technology a year is a long time. DJI didn't produce their first drone until they had been a company for 7 years and it was very basic without a camera, SD started in 2014 and 5 years later they have a drone that would put a serious dent in DJIs dominance if they could produce it in the numbers needed and had established world wide distribution. I'm not making excuses for SD but I don't agree with you regarding manufacturing between both locations. China is hardly the same, hiring and employing workers in the US is far more involved and risky for a company. Our labor laws (especially CA) makes a product more expensive to produce in the US. If all that weren't true we'd still have the thousands of manufacturing jobs that migrated overseas. Compared to the US, wages as a percentage of manufacturing costs are cheap in China, so is the inconsequential things like employee benefits. It's also pretty much guaranteed that when a US company decides to produce a product in China your intellectual property will be copied so any competitive edge evaporates. All companies have to start off somewhere and the fact that we are even having this conversation about a product from a company that's only been in business 5 years and has disrupted the industry says volumes. Still sucks though.
    DittyBag, FTL900 and CavReconSGT like this.
  8. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for an email to purchase. I’m in the first wave ....
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I went out for a solo ride yesterday afternoon :clap
    Enjoy
    TaZ9, DirtyDaveMO, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  10. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    That's outstanding Chris! The resolution is amazing and the variable perspective gives so much more interest.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks DB, did you notice the hot air balloon in the last shot? I thought it was dirt on the lens until I watched it in 4K
  12. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    No, I missed that. But I did seem to notice that you didn't have much fuel. :D
  13. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha I kept thinking that I had dead pixels on my monitor, then I moved my mouse over it and it disappeared.

didn't run up on any meth labs eh ?
    RideFreak likes this.
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    No but there's some "off the grid" folks living out there
  15. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flew my sons R2 yesterday...test run on bicycles around the block.. the R2 weaved through power lines like crazy. At times the lines were 4-5 feet apart on different elevations and the R2 threaded through them like crazy. It was almost nerve racking.. in a fun way.
  16. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Skill Required Here

Oddometer:
    Ok. New to this but I have been reading a bit, looking at youtube etc. basically i have determined what I want but I dont want to pay big bucks for what will be a ‘trial’....sooooo hopefully you can help.
    For the smallest $ I want:
    GPS
    FOLLOWME
    RC
    4k gimble camera
    Foldable (smallish)
    15 min+ flight
    Chargeable via 12v or USB.
    ON BOARD RECORDING.

Name the drone guys?

(will drop to 1080p if nec)
    (Don’t need it to last forever)
    Thx
  17. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A handful of drones are going to fit this bill (Mavic Mini, Mavic Air, Parrot Anafi), but none are going to have the superb FOLLOW-ME feature like the Skydio 2
  18. new2adv

Oddometer:
    You just described the Parrot Anafi. It meets all your requirements for about $600 USD.
  19. new2adv

Oddometer:
    Slight correction to the above - the Parrot Anafi DOES have a terrific follow-me capability... what it’s missing compared to the Skydio R2 is the fantastic obstacle avoidance.
  20. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Skill Required Here

Oddometer:
    Wow. Thank you folks.
    So the Anafi meets my list but $ is higher than I want to pay ( cheapskate)
    The Skydio adds avoidance, but misses on foldability and yes, $. (The avoidance video demo on their website is impressive though!!!)

Anything else, close but dirt cheap?