1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really. You want the better qualities gotta shell out the cash

I hated the Mavic Air when I had it. I won’t touch the Mavic Mini. But then again I buy drones for their camera capabilities, because I like to take still shots
  2. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    What drone are you currently using?
  3. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the m2p (dji mavic 2 pro) - works best for me with traveling. I don't really use it for motorcycle stuff. I'm that guy that will continue to upgrade to the latest drone
  4. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    m2p as well. Do you use dlog at all? I’m currently trying to teach myself to color grade. Kinda tedious, but footage looks nice.
  5. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not yet. I hardly do video stuff. I'm in that still photography phase. Ha
  6. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Skill Required Here

Oddometer:
    Ain’t that always the way?!?!

I have watched a tonne of youtubes and am developing the following view:

To start with drones and mix it in with motorcycle stuff, the approach seems...

1. Buy a $100 drone with as many functions as possible to ‘learn the ropes’
    2. Learn from above and realise that it ain’t for you OR
    3. Learn from 1. and then spend around $1000+ on the drone with the right flavour (eg. Say autonomous bias vs say range bias etc).

from
    My research...it seems it is this BlackNWhite if you want decent content from the drone. However, if you want a drone for fanging around the sky....anything north of $50 will do.
    Truish?
  7. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the DJI drones have visual tracking, but it doesn’t work nearly as well as the GPS tracking on Anafi and Skydio.

Here is the review that convinced me to buy the Anafi:

Yes it’s $600 but I think it’s good value for the money. I haven't seen another drone that gives you the small size, long flight time, high speed and GPS follow-me for anywhere near the same price.
    Bonnie & Clyde and TNWillie like this.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That seems pretty accurate. You need to decide if you're going the autonomous route which makes sense if you plan to film riding and still want to ride. If you're more interested in the pictures and scenes to be shot then a drone with a conventional controller is more appropriate. I never spent much time learning to fly the drone since I was more interested in the follow and for that you really aren't piloting. Getting a $100 cheapie isn't going to help much in that case but if you're interested in the photography aspect, learning to fly with a controller is critical. Unfortunately the drones don't bridge that gap completely yet, it's getting closer but you'll be confronted with the limitations one way or another depending on what you get and how you plan to use it. Read everything you can before making your decision, these aren't cheap.
    CaseyB likes this.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    This is a ride from Yesterday. I found out a swarm of dirt bikers will totally confuse the recognition.

10. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else still waiting for their drone? I was in the first wave and have heard nothing for weeks.
  11. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NVBTAM!

(Nice Video But Totally Awful Music :-))
    RideFreak likes this.
  12. zachd

zachd cruisin' along

Oddometer:
    Damn. This is SLICK. I just bought a Mavic Mini for packability on the bike. It is my first drone purchase. Cant return it now since I opened it. Kind of having buyers remorse now after seeing this, oh well!

I would have gladly spent another $100.
  13. zachd

zachd cruisin' along

Oddometer:
    The MavicMini is close to this. But 2.7k, and no follow me feature (yet, perhaps with an update). I got the FlyMore Combo. Now after seeing the Parrot Anafi, I wish I had gotten it instead for $100 more.
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I know, I get that all the time, since I add music to each video and the count is currently about 350 I'm always trying to find something that goes with the video and not re-use something too much, the selection doesn't always work out though.

Here's the other part of the day.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The first wave is being actively filled, I know this because some guys on another forum have been receiving the emails and their drones, like you there are some on there who haven't received the letter to purchase yet.
  16. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am using the totally “Free Music” that Youtube offers. Much to choose from and there is always new pieces listed.

Here is an example (with music that I really like) from when I reviewed GoPro Hero 7 Black

(not drone or MC related)
    CaseyB likes this.
  17. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I think that the Mavic Mini is a good choice for a drone to take on the bike. It should be able to get you good photos & video and it is really compact when packed. Sure, for follow-me it isn't the best tool, but to get some photos or videos of whatever while you are out on the bike, it should do very well.

I bought a Mavic Air in 2018 for its portability and it has been really good. I'm not trying to do the follow-me thing, it wouldn't keep up anyway - so that isn't a concern. It is great for getting photos from a PoV that no hand held camera can achieve and for a fly-over of a motorcycle rally site. I bought the Mavic Air because it was compact and had a 3-axis gimbal, now the Mavic Mini is available with a smaller size, 3-axis gimbal and lower price tag - I probably would have bought that if it was available back when I got the Mavic Air.

I don't know that I would trust a Parrot Anafi to fly itself while following me, I'd be worried it would hit something. A Skydio 2 on the other hand - I kinda want one after seeing the videos of what it can do. The unavailability of the drone currently is saving me money, if they get it readily available at some point then I might become a bit poorer!
    CaseyB and zachd like this.
  18. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my email this am!
    RideFreak likes this.
  19. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    Hard to not be drawn to this thing for motorcycling. Takes a lot of effort manually controlling, set-up, breakdown, etc. Great looking area.

I like the song btw, I have a version of it. The one being used though makes the speakers cackle. Crackle. *Bass is too high.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I've discovered that the SD2 operates better with a bit more of a steady pace and less potential subjects in the picture.

Todd157k likes this.