Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess that Mavic Mini is going to show the direction where the drone scene is going. Because of it’s weight. Under 250 g it is in C0 class (here in EU) and when you follow updated regulations, it’s easier to use than heavier ones. I don’t know the current status of autonomous flight, but it might go to the same direction as in Canada. Which means basically no-no for follow-me functionality. You have to be able to control and see the drone all the times. I like the portability of the small drone, when doing the long distance trips. Mavic Mini’s camera is very capable for scenery photos and videos.
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one, it is very nice, easy to fly, and a great beginner drone.
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The new Autel Evo 2's look interesting. The EVO 2 with the 1/2" sensor can do 8K video and 48 MP stills. The EVO 2 Pro with the 1" sensor can do 6K video and 20MP stills. Also the cameras/gimbals are swap-able with plans to roll out a dual sensor gimbal setup with a flir camera and the 8K camera. Looks like the prices are gonna be right around the M2P. The comparison video I saw between the 1/2" sensor EVO 2 and a M2P weren't even close though. The IQ on that 1" sensor of the M2P just blows the EVO away. Looking forward to seeing how the 1" sensor EVO compares.
    CaseyB likes this.
  4. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:

I'm also getting in the game....and you have checked most all the boxes..
    but i want a LONG range model.....

with a controllable camera

it seems some of the longer range drones get 8-9km from the remote? is that correct?
    link <--- JJRC X/12 on Eb.ay

I live in a wooded area nearby waterfalls, wildlife, prowlers, and a lake....
    so i could use a Drone's Eye View and a 5000-6000 foot range...and a 20+minute flight time

I would like to be able to see live video, but without a cellular signal...
    a drone that recognizes Android 7?8? would be nice

i would prefer a remote with a screen that the remote also links to Cell Phone,
    but again, not cellular data connection...unless 4g works?

s
  5. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's radio signals, not cell signals that bridge the connection. you can get range extenders / boosters to beef up the antenna and get 5 miles away. but then you're talking about a bulky setup, probably nothing you really want to lug around. ha. the less interference (mountains, trees, power lines, etc) you have, the further away you'll be able to fly.

most consumer drones these days will have a camera that you're able to control.

https://www.dji.com/products/consumer?site=brandsite&from=nav
    https://auteldrones.com/collections/drones
    https://www.parrot.com/us/drones

all depends on how much you want to spend
    valvecrusher likes this.
  6. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Anybody else with new Skydio 2s having SD Card problems? I am absolutely not happy right now....
  7. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What’s your issue ??
  8. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Skydio 2 requires UHS class 3 SD card. I used a samsung card that was UHS class 1 card that is apparently too slow to write 4k video - my bad - but the drone won't fly without a working card.
    I found a 32GB UHS class 3 card, inserted it, tried to format it / factory reset it 3x through the Skydio 2 app, still shows "SD card is not formatted" warning message - and, it won't fly still.

The "factory reset" option formats the SD card, deleting all existing media / etc on the SD card. That's great, but whoever picked "Factory Reset" as that naming option should be kicked in the nuts. :)

Anybody wanna buy a very pretty and as-yet-never-flown Skydio 2? It might work, if you have the right SD card lol. :D
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I use ether a scandisk extreme or PNY cards, both UHS3 and 128G. SD told me the drone will take up to a 250Gb card.

I've not had any problems with 4K except I suspect it drops a frame here and there. 4K/60@100MBS bitrate is pretty demanding on a UHS3 card.

I have a routine I do, one card is in the drone when I head out and I have another stored in the drone's case for when I forget to put the card back in before leaving the house. Before flying the first time of the day I format the card while it's in the drone using the info link in the SD app.

It's really not worth skimping on the card IMO, too much effort goes into taking it out flying to have memory card issues pop up, been there, got that T-shirt.

Did you try to lower the resolution on the SD2's camera to 1080P and see if it'd accept the card? It almost seems like it didn't recognize it. It should have let you take off in photo mode. There's also a setting that tells the camera to be manual, normally it starts filming as soon as it is airborne.
  10. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I thought I wasn't skimping on the card with my Samsung 128gb Pro card but it's only UHS1 - I do 2.7k vid on my Mavics just fine w/ it. I'll get a 128gb UHS3 card (sandisk or samsung) once I hear from Skydio about the formatting issue.

Yup, tried lowering the resolution to "HD" (1080p I guess) 30fps, and no dice.. which it should be able to write to just fine.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:

I do know from some painful lessons that 4K takes at least a UHS 3, when I try to film 4K using a UHS1 card with the GoPro it crashes the camera. The SD2 has a higher data rate then a UHS1 card can handle. That being said I don't think the drone recognized your cards.

I got the cards for about $16 at christmas time.
    I can tell you for sure this card works
  12. applicant_255

applicant_255 Misshapen Shaved Ape

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there’s enough difference between the way that cards are built that two cards from both the same class will behave differently both reading, writing, speeds with small or big files, random reads, rewriting etc. It may be that writing small bits of tracking data while writing video to the card at the same time doesn’t work well with this card.

I’ve seen where the regular general purpose sandisk cards will perform better with random writes and reads than the four times as expensive extreme and ultra cards of the same size.

I don’t see that they have any card compatability table, but I see there’s a pro kit that medium reviewed that contains a sandisk extreme 128GB card - that’d probably be your best bet to try next, and if that fails you might have a fualty reader or something.
  13. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link! Did you have to format it in the app specifically upon first install, or does it auto-format in the setup or when the drone powers on after inserting it?
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I didn't take a chance I formatted with the app at the start of using the card for the day.
    brianpc likes this.
  15. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I wanted to post up here as soon as I found out - that PNY card in RideFreak's post above worked fine, and I didn't have to (didn't give me the option on the main screen) to pre-format it. I inserted it, powered on, and it's ready to fly. Just an FYI for those in the market and getting theirs, might be worth it to get a card or two to have. I didn't test the other UHS3 card (Samsung EVO 128gb) yet but the PNY card worked.
    No answer from Skydio support yet for my ticket about it, but I'll also let them know.
    RideFreak likes this.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted Brian.

You should be able to format any time. I select the gear at the top of the app, then scroll down to drone and format media us under the reset screen. On mine I have a choice of resetting the SD2 or the Media.

I did some adv bike testing with the SD2 yesterday. It did pretty good but I did have a couple issues. I'll post it up when it finishes uploading.

23103a and brianpc like this.
  17. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What issues did you have?
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Occasionally it would loose me for no reason, I had the beacon so it never really lost me because I can tell it to RTH and it comes flying back but I flew for 4 batteries that day (80min) and it lost me twice where the camera wasn't pointed at me and the drone stopped. The subject recognition seems to be weighted more towards optical recognition, I would prefer a stronger lock based on the GPS to GPS comms between the beacon and the SD2. That typically happens a couple times during my stretch of 4 batteries.
  19. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks - Can you offer some basic procedures for a first time pilot? I'm nervous that I'm going to lose the damn thing. Didn't buy the controller, only the beacon.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I found it pretty easy to fly first time. I would suggest getting it out and fly it with the app in an open field at first, get use to selecting the subject, flying around, Return to home etc... When you're ready to fly with the beacon I'd do it also in the park, just getting used to controlling it with that, and using it as a wand. Once that's done and you're ready to follow connect the beacon to the drone, then connect your phone to the beacon. That gives you RTH and it logs the last known position should anything happen. Then I'd have it follow you somewhere with little to worry about like branches, wires etc... keep the speed down at first as you're getting used to it. Like anything getting familiar with using it, launching, recovery etc... will make you more effective with it. Of course keep an eye on it in case it just stops, didn't happen allot to me but it did happen. You can always push RTH in the app if it does and it should come right back. All you need is the beacon and the app for follow. Good luck with it.
    BDO likes this.