Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. rageabout

rageabout Say my name

Oddometer:

Very nice video Chris. Do you recall your max speed when recording. From the looks of your video you are able to ride faster than I can with my Mavic. I too lost connection with the mavic and assumed I was traveling too fast. Maybe something else.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Most of the time it was cruising @ 20-30mph but the max was about 35mph. Flying at max speed increases the chance it will loose the subject lock, same as with the mavic. I really wish they had made the subject tracking more dependent on GPS to GPS instead of relying heavily on visual. Visual is required for close in shots since you're typically within al GPSs error envelope but at faster speeds it's further out where a visual lock isn't as critical.
    rageabout likes this.
  3. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    You guys see the new FAA regulations?
    They are pretty much killing using drones in the US. Amazon and UPS's lobbying worked and they are making all machines have an ID, you would have to only fly at designated flying fields and only fly 400 feet away from your self.

Commercial operations or any flying not at a designated field would require a Part 107, an FAA approved airframe.
    And they are talking penalties of a felony for breaking the laws. This is totally killing the FPV drone hobby.

The FAA is taking comments for 60 days so get on it, or in a year or so you may not be able to you your drone.
    https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=FAA-2019-1100

4. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that’s a bummer. Funny that they released the proposal the day after Christmas.
  5. Levvy

Levvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know who this guy is? I like his style:

Bonnie & Clyde and RideFreak like this.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nice videos Levvy, especially the canyon scenes. The SD captured that nicely. Surprised you didn't go 4K with the upload, that automatically gets you the VP09 codec from YT which is much clearer then the AVC1 codec they use on most of the lower resolution videos including yours although that still has a pretty sharp picture.

Whats the best way to provide some feedback to Skydio? I have allot of flying time in and I've identified a couple situations I think might be improved with a tweak in the software, primarily in the area of subject tracking.
  7. Levvy

Levvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I wish it was mine :D. I have no idea who the rider is, I just came across his stuff on YouTube and really liked it.

We have a general use survey that is going to all customers 1-month after their drone is shipped, but if you have specific detailed feedback I'd love to hear it. You can DM here or email me directly at 'sean at skydio dot com'.
    Rudderfeet and RideFreak like this.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Personally I'm not worrying about it, most of the places I fly can't be accessed by a car or truck and I'd see the cops coming a long way away "if" they even tried and they don't. It's far from any airport, I fly below the current 400' ceiling and much of the terrain towers over the drone when it's up flying. There's no internet or cell signal out there anyway so it'd be impossible to comply in that location. Yeah it's not per the regulations but the cops and FAA have allot more to be worried about than my done flying down a some remote canyon out in the desert, it's just us and the coyotes out there :D
    Dusty Rider and zachd like this.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This could be a problem however most of this threads discussion is on "follow me" drones which would never be 400 ft away from the operator. It doesn't state 400 ft in a fixed position. :beer
  10. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, hobbyists without a Part 107 can only fly at AMA fields after the rules kick in. So.. 400 feet away from yourself at a designated field.

I also agree that if you fly in BFE where you don't see people for 2 hours at a time, I'm sure you are fine, but the days of flying around the town, getting shots of things that were legal now are gone.

As a professional in the market I'm done. I had a 333 exemption, I have my Part 107 and it's all still going to be a PIA.. I'm done, I'll keep a few fav drones and fly renegade as well.

It just sucks that Amazon, UPS and Fedex have the money to crush an entire industry.

I will say watch your updates, a lot of the DJI and the "smart" drones will have updates that enable the Remote ID, and if you don't follow the laws the drones will no longer take off. Keep your eyes open!
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Did some riding in the snow saturday. The tracking works better with the snow in the background :nod Probably a contrast thing.

Bonnie & Clyde and Photowriter like this.
  12. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool :-)!
    RideFreak likes this.
  13. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great video Chris! Where exactly is this riding area? Do you just head off into the open area or plan loops?
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Todd, it's west of Albuquerque NM. I try to ride for awhile and after passing through something decent I'll put up the drone and go back and ride it. Helps if there's no surprises along the way. There was allot of snow on this run and I didn't want to churn it up before filming it so much if this hadn't been ridden prior to putting the drone up. It got real sketchy out there as the snow started loosing it's crust and made the ground underneath muddy.
    Todd157k likes this.
  15. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep. When I bought my P3A that was the golden days of drones. Turn it on and take off. It's still on the OEM firmware so it's still like that.

The new Evo II looks pretty sweet.. and I know I would use it more if I could carry it with me on the bike :hmmmmm
  16. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    So i've been reading through this thread the last couple of days, really good stuff here guys and appreciate everyone's insight! I was leaning towards the Anafi since I like how compact it is and want to bring it with me on Ridaho later this year, until I saw the Skydio 2... Anyone have any real world experience riding with that thing for a few days? It is much larger than the Anafi but possesses obstacle avoidance and has a stellar follow-me algo. I'm concerned about it's size and if I had to carry it on my back for several days while riding some grueling single-track and dealing with a few crashes, etc... Also, is it really on a waiting list until Q3 of 2020?!
  17. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did my first trial of the Skydio2 in the Mojave desert near Ridgecrest.

The freakin' thing is AWESOME!!

There were four of us and using the Beacon and phone for the first time was a bit scary but later in the day I learned to trust that I wouldn't lose it and it was awesome. I need to fly the drone a little higher to capture the horizon as we rode along a ridge line with awesome views but the Skydio was too tight on me.

Lots more to learn but first impressions are very positive!

Messages Image(479942209).png Messages Image(4186016144).png Messages Image(4080417557).png Messages Image(2748531284).png
    RideFreak and Todd157k like this.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    BDO, congrats on a successful trip flying and filming.

I found the higher you fly the more the drone is pointing downward during tracking. I took the SD out yesterday to film some adv bike riding, there were a few scenes where I wanted to capture a scenic background. When it's tracking someone and I want to pull in the scenery I found that it has to fly low so the camera ends up pointing more horizontally. The other method is if you can get it to stand off a ways, like 200 yards, That'll pull in the riders and much of what's behind them if the drone isn't too high up. Some of the best background pics I've seen with the subject in the picture were filmed with the drone flying over a dropoff or off the the side of a hill that the subject is riding with it flying low, very close to the height of the subject. Try it sometime, it really makes for some nice shots.

BTW, nice clarity in the pics you posted.

[​IMG]
    BDO and CavReconSGT like this.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:

Yes, it's 3rdQ 2020 right now, production might ramp up or some owners might bow out. Since the deposit is refundable I don't see a downside to ordering one if it looks like the drone for you. We flew recently with the SD2 and an Anafi, no question the Anafi is smaller, easier to carry, I've not found the SD2 difficult to carry, my pack also carries tools a tube, pump and 2 extra batteries in addition to water. If you're riding gnarly st and may fall on your back any drone in your BP is subject to damage unless it was a very hard shell case and there's not too many of those that fit your backpack. I know if I'm carrying the drone I'll tone it down a little trying to prevent that very thing, landing on the drone and it's case.

As for the capabilities of the 2, the Anafi will works nicely if given some altitude, if not it'll likely crash into a hill or tree, that happend twice to the one we were flying that day, no damage though. There's no way it'll get the close in shots the SD2 will. For st the distance the anafi has to stand off makes it almost not worth filming, st is all about the trail, it's challenges and seeing the rider negotiate them, from far off much of that would be lost. You can always film in 4K though and zoom the scene in post processing but those scenes won't be near as clear as the native video. The other big downfall with the Anafi is it's speed, 25mph tops. We kept loosing lock the one that was flying above us until we slowed way down. The entire time the SD2 was keeping up fine 50' below the anafi and avoiding trees as it did it.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a problem I’ve struggled with on the Anafi. I’m trying to get it low enough to get a horizon behind the rider, but then I’m worried about flying it into the ground. (No obstacle avoidance on this drone.)

The Anafi was the best available fit for my needs when I bought it, but the skydio r2 is a game changer. If I were buying a drone today, that’s the one I would get. At $1000 plus accessories it’s pretty much unbeatable as a Moto drone.
    BDO likes this.