1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I can add my $0.02

- about 20 minutes of flying with the Mavic (to come back with ~30% remaining), I carry two extra batteries and a 12V charger.. but I really never needed more than 3 in a day
    - yes, takes 10 seconds
    - trees - better stay above them, cliffs - not a concern, except cliffs usually mean nesting birds which could be an issue
    - I'd say I have it down to 2 minutes to be in the air, 3 minutes to pack up. That's all just setup time, there will be some idle flight time when you're moving into position, flying back to where you started. See my post above about minimizing that
    - depends.. if the goal of the ride is to get good footage than they need to be on the same page and expect major delays. If you're just out there to get some shots of people riding by then it's still a delay but not as significant. I try my best to be somewhere first, set up, get some shots of people going through interesting sections and then pack up be done by the time everyone's gone through. Either way, make sure they expect that to be happening and are OK with it, bribe them with photos and footage they otherwise wouldn't have
    - depends on landscape, type of riding etc. Hard to generalize.
    - Drone itself goes in my backpack, RC/batts stay on the bike unless I'm on a dirtbike with no cargo capacity and then everything goes into a backpack - I will only do that on very limited occasions when I know the terrain is both easy enough for me not to crash and interesting enough to carry the drone.

I can share a bunch of videos as examples but I don't want to flood this thread completely...
    FamilyRider likes this.
  2. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Eh, here I go.. see this one starting at about 10:00 till the end - this location definitely justified bringing a drone, everyone was excited about the shots they got.. best case scenario for a drone..

dave6253, dmac1, Karson and 9 others like this.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Pretty amazing video Plawa, nice job. I ride all over Taylor Park so I know the area and someone watching helmet cam video can't really get a feel for what's there, the vastness and beauty, your Drone footage captures that. Helmet cam video can't compare a drone video for scenes like that. The trouble of getting the drone to a place like that is totally worth the effort IMO.

I know there will be rides I wouldn't want to bring the drone along, it might be the crowd I'm with, or the difficulty of the ride. I also know there's ride's I'll make the special effort to have it along and if that means a modified ride with one other person to get the shots I'll do it.
    The Virginian likes this.
  4. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm new to drones, I started a thread about the Mavic Air, but this one seems more active. Finally got out for my first test run. This is a lame production, but does give you some idea(s) about just how good drones are getting.

When I think of how much money I've spent on digital equipment that couldn't fly and didn't have a gimbal, the Mavic Air is a pretty sweet deal.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Smackit, nice video, cool location too.

It's hard not to look back and see if the drone is still there.
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I use a RAM mount for my phone, RC (connected with a 2ft cable) goes into the tankbag, that way you can just look down and see what the drone sees and make sure it's still following you... just make sure that you put a stick guard on the RC before you put it in the tankbag otherwise once you close it it may be pressing down on the altitude stick, the drone may start to descend and then you may be lucky enough to actually notice it before it lands in water so you may have to stop in the middle of a water crossing and you may have to get the RC out of the tankbag with seconds remaining before you watch your drone drown. Ask me how I know ;)

Btw in general I try not to be in frame when I'm actively flying the drone, the "looking up at the drone and down at the RC" dance is something you see in every other drone video and it's just not appealing...
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    It's still pretty obvious that at this point and time, the follow me stuff on most drones is usable.......... in the desert. I live where there are tons of trees and hardly any straight roads, and lots of hills. Even the Mavic Airs with all it's extra sensors is still going to have problems, especially seeing up, since they don't put sensors in the tops of them. This could send the damn thing right into overhanging tree canopies when it's trying to compensate for altitude. The technology is getting better by leaps and bounds and I have a feeling that a really good autonomous solution is right around the corner. Of course I find myself enjoying the whole flying aspect of using a drones as I delve more into it. Just picked up another (think this makes 5 now :lol2 ) Got a Hubsan X4 Air Pro for $125.00! They make these things so damn cheap! Not sure how I'm gonna like using a phone/pad for control. I think I need the feedback you get from a real controller. Oh well, if I crash it hard, parts for these things are crazy cheap so long as you don't destroy the control board. :D
  8. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Great questions, are we riding or are we recording the ride? I will need more roadies for filming. Add that to the crew that does my cooking and the bus is getting full...:)
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Let's face it, there's always going to be an impact to the ride if you bring a drone along. On a typical dirt bike ride we don't stop to take pictures so filming with a drone would be out plus it's pretty extreme conditions to carry $1000+ worth of equipment in your backpack. Drone filming on a dirtbike ride has to be setup and obviously everyone onboard with it.

On DS rides there's fast paced rides and there's others where it's more leisurely pace. All my riding buddies know I film our rides, they can get on YT at any time and see many of the rides they were on, they also appreciate the effort I put into making the videos.

I don't see myself carrying the drone along on a serious overnight type DS ride, it's more than I want to lug around in that situation but there's other DS rides where it'd be fine. Adv riding provides lots of opportunities to use the drone. Stopping during either of those situations isn't an issue, if it was I'd probably be riding with someone else. IMO the final product is well worth the effort.
    simbaboy likes this.
  10. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    RideFreak said "IMO the final product is well worth the effort."

Absolutely agree...
    I really appreciate that you have buddies to ride with who accommodate your video productions. And that you take the time to edit and post them.
    If you only knew how many hours I've spent over this last winter watching yours and others as I patiently wait for riding season to get here.
    "Please" keep them coming...:clap
  11. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this Chris, awesome thread!
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of coming out to San Ysidro and making another trials video. Trials obstacle based riding and drone's perspective would be a nice fit.
  13. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waiting to see some aerial shots of Star wars canyon and those skinny ridges!
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    This is the 4th flight. I was testing how well it tracks the riders altitude changes and keeps up with the 500.

Smackit, darkstarmoto, Halen and 2 others like this.
  15. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was another example of "worth bringing the drone"... full video coming up soon

16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I had to look up where that was, Sedona is really spectacular. I agree, that's worth the trouble.
  17. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    The nationals are next weekend if you have the time to drive to Roswell.
  18. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too!
  19. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing info in this thread Chris. Thanks for posting.
  20. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    This has been a very informative thread, thank you to all who have posted clips and overviews of their gear. After watching tons of videos related to action sports based drones, I pulled the trigger on an Airdog II. It should be here later this week and looking forward to seeing how I can incorporate it into my rides.