Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    An Adventure riding vid is tough to make interesting since you're just kind of riding along, it takes some scenery to tie it all together. Here's my attempt at an Adv video.

dcwilcox, genka, SFC_Ren and 8 others like this.
  2. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    @RideFreak Great video and your choice of music is excellent. I told my buddy @rjnutt he needs to buy one of these drones for our adventures.
    RideFreak likes this.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks B&C.
  4. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    Put an order in for SD2 and Anafi to get familiar with using drones and video setup while my SD2 is built. Hoping to have it in August to support Ridaho documentation!
    RideFreak likes this.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You misinterpreted that big time. There are 3 options. One, the drone itself broadcasts RID over the internet to an ID server, you still have all the usual no fly zones and of course all the current regulations. Two, your drone isn't capable of broadcasting, then your transmitter which will require internet connection sends the RID, and you can ONLY fly 400FT out from the pilot. Three - if you don't have internet capable devices, or neither your drone or transmitter is capable of transmitting the RID, then you can ONLY fly in FAA appointed flying areas. So follow me flying very much will be impacted. Basically, anywhere you fly that doesn't have internet access is an illegal fly zone regardless of how far the drone is from the pilot, and it won't be hard for any law enforcement to determine if you are flying illegally, not to mention all the goobers that hate seeing drones up in the air ratting you out. The FAA gets to determine how much the fine can be for flying in a no fly zone, and some of those fines have hit the 10's of thousands of dollars, so not many intelligent people are going to take that kind of risk. This will pretty much cripple the hobbyist drone market if this does get approved and goes into law as it is currently written. Most companies will go out of business so good luck even buying a drone in 5 or 6 years. So yeah, we better all hope this shit doesn't go through without some major changes.
    jasiu, Rudderfeet and CaseyB like this.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It spells doom to the market the way its written now. I plan to fly outlaw out in the wilds at that point.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Did a couple hours trail riding yesterday and took the SD2. I've learned that you have to pace yourself, when it's open terrain if you start pushing it too much it'll loose the subject lock.
    Bonnie & Clyde, Lycan1 and jasiu like this.
  8. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    Can the SD2 take photos while capturing video as well? If not are there various photo timers that can be setup while it’s actively tracking a subject?
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    There's a mode where it will take a picture every XX seconds but as fare as taking them while you're videoing that's not possible. If you're taking video it's pretty easy to extract a 4K still from the video when you're processing.
  10. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Ridefreak: does the SD2 have some type of predictability algorithm to figure out where you go? Also, are you shooting in 60fps? Why not 30fps for the drone?
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    As for tracking it mostly does it's own thing, if the conditions are consistent, ie it's tracking something down a path with no obstacles or turns it will settle into the predetermined flight position relative to the subject that was selected by the person holding the beacon. Staying in one place is kind of rare except in very open areas with straight roads or paths. As soon as you include any obstacles or turns that selection becomes secondary to it's avoidance.

I shoot 60fps because if I need to pull a slomo out of the video it's very apparent it was shot at 30fps, a pan becomes a series of steps instead of a smooth turn of the camera. IMO 30fps has no place in any kind of action footage that you might want to slow down in post. Some of my best scenes are slo mos pulled out of videos.
  12. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd share some small cases I got off amazon for the mp2 -
    https://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Case-Mavic-Controller-Transmitter/dp/B07GYBC78X
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glasses are for size reference. I'm happy with my $15 purchase. I like that I can keep the joysticks on and everything fit well in general.

I have the fly more kit, which is great for taking everything you need along with you but sticking it in a backpack takes up most of the space. By separating into individual components, I'm going to stick it in a tank bag. I think some could relate to having your gear with you stored away and passing up a filming opportunity because its a pita to access. Figure the easier I make it to get to, the more likely I'll pull it out.

Next step is to figure out a way to keep controller in bag, extend wire out of bag up to a phone mounted to handlebars. Will give me peace of mind to be able to glance down and see if I'm still being tracked. I admittedly haven't messed with the follow me mode, I know it leaves a lot to be desired. But I'm not upgrading in the foreseeable future.
  13. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Well folks. I could sit by and watch yinz having all the fun, and especially RideFreak. So I broke down and put my name on the list for a Skydio 2. Now the waiting game starts. But being my first drone I'll have a large learning curve. The only thing that is good is I'll have no other drone habits to break. :ricky
    BillUA, 23103a, BokaRoka and 2 others like this.
  14. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    Did the same. Bought an Anafi in the mean time, had it a week, about 14 flights trying to figure out how to fly it and dronies, etc... Lost gps lock and the app on my phone crashed while doing a dolly zoom dronie and it flew into a tree. Broke the camera, gimbal and arm... Feeling pretty down put a claim in with Parrot (Read alot of folks dont have any luck with them, since gps was lost and the app and drone crashed and battery became disconnected there was no flight log) as well as Amazon because I bought it through them. Amazon's customer service is top notch! Explained the situation to them, and they had a replacement out to me free of charge the next day. No need to even deal with Parrot in France!

Two flights on the new one, getting more comfortable with it and its flying features. These things are so badass and the video they can capture is amazing. I plan to use the Anafi in Europe when we go next month and for more cinematic shots that need manual framing of buildings, overlooks, landscape etc... and use the SD2 when it arrives for Moto stuff primarily. If only Skydio could make a foldable version of the SD2, in time i'm sure...
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I believe I'm going to hold off on another one to learn on first . After reading it seems the SD is different in the control department. Plus being in the desert I think I'll have a better area free of obstacles to play havoc with it. At least that's the plan for now. Instead I'm thinking I might get more familiar with video editing and photography. I'm not very computer savvy so there's going to be a larger learning curve I feel.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That's pretty nice that Amazon taking care of you like that.
    I agree, it'd be nice if it'd fold up, I was told since the chassis supports calibrated OA cameras, a folding chassis won't work, the position must be pretty critical. I don't find it's real cumbersome to carry on my back but my last drone was bigger, compared to the Anafi it's going to seem large.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Flying the drone is a great way to socially distance :ricky

Any of you guys riding?
  18. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took my R2 to Anza Borrego a couple weeks back. Wouldn't fly. I was using the Beacon and it wouldn't link to GPS. First I thought it was my location.. so I tried later in the day in a more 'open' space. No dice. Finally back at the motorhome, I tried again.. same thing. Then I plugged the beacon to the phone and it linked up fine. Nice, but not sure why it wouldn't link up with just the beacon. Really frustrating day.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That sucks Todd, at first I didn't understand the connection sequence but once I got that figured out it's worked pretty smoothly ever since. Here's the way I've been doing it, maybe it'll help.

I always turn the SD2 on first, keep the app closed on the phone. Then turn on the beacon, it should connect on it's own to the drone, make sure your phone doesn't connect to the drone's wifi first. Sometimes my phone tries to connect as soon as it sees the SD2. The beacon will connect and it's LED changes to blues, then it goes into picking up the gps signals. If the wifi gets interrupted during this time it won't work. When it says ready to fly I open the phone wifi and make sure it connects to the beacon. Before doing this I change the power settings on the phone not to go to the lock screen (stay on). If the phone connects to the drone when the app opens that will screw it up.

I don't really use the app for anything other than to log Last Known Position and make sure it's locked onto me when it first takes off, so far it always has been when I'm alone, sometimes if you're right next to someone it might pick them up instead.

Maybe that will help.
  20. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris. I'll give it a shot. I can't remember which I turned on first/second since I didn't think it made any difference.