Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'll have to remember that when I get mine. Thanks Chief
    RideFreak likes this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Well it was an expensive week. First off I had put a deposit down on the Skydio2 and wasn't going to get it until the third quarter of the year. Then this virus started to hit harder than anyone had hoped. I was worried that the shipping date would be pushed back even farther than then. So when I saw a mavic air fly more come up on the flea market for a descent price I decided to try that out for my first drone.
    Just my luck two days afterwards I seen a Skydio2 on FB for sale cause the guys luck turned bad and lost his job over this virus deal. I contacted him cause he didn't have a price listed. He had the drone, two extra batteries and dual charger and beacon with a couple other small things. He told me to make an offer, damn him I hate when I'm put on the spot like that. Well anyhow I offered him $1100 thinking, it's only three months old and figured he had around $1500 tied up in it. You figure out what this answer was. IMG_20200320_124018072.jpg
    CaseyB, RideFreak and Todd157k like this.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nice score Snake Oiler, it's sad but I suspect 6mos from now there will be deals on everything. People with cash right now are watching for the blue Chip stocks to bottom out, there's going to be allot of money made on the back side of this.
    duggram and AdvMoto18 like this.
  4. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Sad but so true. Hopefully my situation will not get worse since my funds are frozen cause of my insurance disability mandates that. But I truly feel for folks. We all know who's going to benefit from this, the rich get richer. I can't believe tho how the media is reporting it and just how people can over react. Do get me wrong there's definitely a lot to be concerned about, but most of it is out of our control. Folks need to use some common sense and think about what they can really do with 50 rolls of TP, case's of cold and flu meds(dated to). I'm looking out the door at 1000# of steak, burger, and roast on the hoof. I'm not going to get too hungry I don't think. Lol
    To come short of saying anything political I sure hope that this isn't another stunt to play with the election.
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recently returned from doing the CABDR with the group of guys I usually ride with along with a couple new guys. Had some weather pester us along the way and it was downright cold a few nights, but a fantastic ride (sans the 370 mile return slab to get back to the truck/trailer). Brought the Mavic along and although I couldn't get active track working (think the front sensors are shot - had to disable obstacle avoidance), I chased the guys manually and captured some pretty damn good footage.

If you have a few minutes to waste, here's a quick vid I put together from footage from each of the days.

6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done liv2day, I gave it a thumbs up. The Mavic really caught the beauty of the desert and the feeling of a ride like that. The only thing I would have done different is to slomo the crash. :D
    yakawars59 likes this.
  7. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Varying camera angles from the drone, intelligently edited and not too long. A very nice job!
    yakawars59, RonSJC and liv2day like this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris, and I probably will do a bit of zooming and slowing on the crash, poor buddy on that F800 deserves a medal for making it through some of the crap we hit. Have lots of videos planned, going to start with a trailer and then likely make a few for each day given the amount of GoPro and Mavic footage I have. I'll get a RR started in the near future :D
    yakawars59, TaZ9 and Snake Oiler like this.
  9. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Great make sure you let us informed. Awesome video
  10. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    @RideFreak I have a question for you. I know that you transport the SD2 in a backpack while riding. I guess a couple questions about it, what size is your pack and does it also have a hydration system in it? I use a Kreiga 3L hydration pack at present which has only a small pocket so I'm sure it's not going to work. So my opinion is a new pack or something that attaches to the Kreiga.
  11. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The quality of drone footage on this site is amazing. The true test for me is if I get totally drawn into following the video without thinking about anything but what I am seeing. A lot of time and talent goes into each of them, and they are a great way to enjoy the sport when we can't get out and ride. Thanks for sharing!

Ride safe,

TaZ9
    yakawars59, liv2day and RideFreak like this.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Here's a writeup I did on the BP I'm using. It holds a 2L hydration bladder (sold separately), tool pouch as well as it's storage. Works well for the SD2.
    yakawars59 and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Great thanks. I guess it shows that I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry. I'm going to have to now that I have a SD2 in hand and the wind is going to be non flyable for the better part of the week from what the good on the new said. Hell 50mph wind is damn much to even ride in. Hopefully all is well with you and yours. That goes out to anyone else reading and following.

Peace
    liv2day likes this.
  14. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eye Candy!
    Great video.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Spliced a trailer together using some GoPro footage and the drone footage. Plan to get the trip report going when I get a few hours of downtime.

23103a, Snake Oiler, Jibby and 4 others like this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Sweet. What drone's are you using? I just got my SD2 and only had a chance to play with it cause of the wind this week. But only here at the trailer. Being my first time to fly I definitely have a learning curve. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it out off the bike some.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Snake Oiler! I'm using a Mavic 2 Zoom now, started with the original Mavic Pro and enjoyed using that until this came out. Honestly, the active track feature of DJI leaves a lot to be desired - I couldn't get it to work at all on this trip (but think that's on me as I crashed when the drone was in it's pack on my back and believe the front obstacle avoidance sensors got hosed). Even before that, though, AT was not reliable and caused an untold number of headaches as I'd be a mile or so away before noticing that the damn thing wasn't chasing me.

I'd really like to try the SD2, my only issue with footage I've seen thus far is it's really tight on the rider - doesn't give the broader aerial perspective that I like with footage from the Mavic.

I flew the Mavic manually in all the footage captured on this trip and you can tell as it's not smooth in all of the shots. That takes a level of talent I haven't acquired yet, but like working on.

If interested, I started a ride report on this trip: California BDR - Turning 820 Miles Into ~1600
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    It definitely does a good job and your skill on editing show's as well. Very well made sir. I'll be turning into your thread for sure.

I've seen that about the SD2 footage too. I believe that's the max distance of the bird while using the beacon. But maybe @RideFreak can answer a question for me. I've wandering if I'd connect the Android to the beacon and set the following at a farther distance if it's able to control the SD2 like that? I've been thinking about how that would work. Either way I'm sure that the SD2 will not disappoint me once I get some time with flight. I also had just picked up a mavic air to use till my SD was shipped in the third quarter of the year, then I found a good deal on a Skydio from a guy who lost his job cause of the virus. So thought I'd keep both for a while.

I like the Autel EVO 2 also, but I'd be see how it pans out. But I'm sure Skydio will be continuing to update over time. Unless that law gets pushed through before the market drops out of the drone era.

Peace and keep the videos coming
  19. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    People make money in the "market" regardless if go up, or crashing. Just depends where you have your money riding during the swings.

I've been leaning towards purchasing a drone for video. Just haven't made the purchase because of constant improvements.
  20. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    My experience with the S2 is that it stays very close in while it can keep up, and if you start out running it, it'll gain altitude to keep you in sight, so a mixture of slower then faster speeds might make it appear to move around a bit more.
    I also struggled with the feeling that it wanted to fly right at my elbow.
    You can see that effect at 2:50, again at 3:50, and for greatest distance, at 4:10. As I sped up, it gained altitude, and when I slowed, it came back in closer and lower.

Snake Oiler and CavReconSGT like this.