Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'm thinking about selling my Skydio2 with all the goodies, but I don't have a controller. The bird, beacon, single and double charger, three batteries. All total around $1500 new, but it's not new been used some but not all that much. Never crashed that I know of since I bought it used myself and told by the guy who told me he never crashed it neither. So I thought I'd throw it out here and see if there's any interest in it. If so drop me a pm and we'll see if we can work something out. Thanks
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  3. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    PM'd
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    You guys see DJI’s new Mavic Air 2 was just released? $799 I believe and with the fly more bundle $998 they managed to undercut Skydio 2. This thing looks pretty dope I’ll have to wait and see some reviews from early guinea pigs but if it’s active tracking is as good as they claim it to be might be a decent Skydio 2 competitor
    Shaggie likes this.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    They got 30+ minutes of flight time out of the Air 2, and you can see where that came from. The thing is all battery. Bigger/heavier than the Air. The controller is also twice the size of the Air's. Guess they had to do that to upgrade to Ocusync. I probably wouldn't buy the fly more pack. Just get the drone and one extra battery. Still doesn't have side sensors or sensors on top. The camera is an upgrade from the Air. But the Air still has a very good camera already. I'll hang on to my Air because I prefer the smaller set up. Honestly, If I didn't already have the Air, I'd probably get the Mini.
  6. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    Just saw a review comparison with Air 2 vs. Skydio 2 on youtube with a cyclist and the Air 2 crashed into 3 trees... Looks like the updated APAS system still falls short for lack of sensors. If only DJI merged with Skydio, there drones would be un-touchable... decisions, decisions...
    FTL900 likes this.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before there's a "unicorn" drone.. the drone companies have to start lobbying for drone rights. As they shut down more and more places to fly, and more strict regulations, the industry is going to die.
  8. BokaRoka

Oddometer:
    I sadly believe you are correct. I would still use one out in BFE when on the bike for some short cinematic shots even when that time comes
    justlookin likes this.
  9. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the details on the Air2, it looks really good. It would be a significant upgrade to my Air with the longer battery life, longer range thanks to occusync2 and updated camera - but my Mavic Air does all that I really need a drone to do.

I wouldn't consider it to be a competitor to the Skydio 2, it has nowhere near the sensors. The Mavic Air is MUCH less capable in terms of self flying.
  10. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Just a wanted to remind you Americans. The last time I looked the DJI is still a fully Chinese product. The Skydio is an American company even tho a lot of the parts come from across the pond. In this time in era we need to pay closer attention to supporting our company's here at home. Yes I have a DJI air but I also have a Skydio. Both are great birds that I don't fly enough. Just my two cents
    Anby, FTL900 and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I admit, I am more selective of the products I buy these days. I would prefer to buy American when the option is there. I won't be getting rid of all the Chinese stuff I already own though just to replace it with something made /assembled in the US. Even if I was buying a new drone, I wouldn't get the Skydio simply because I want compactness in a drone. Follow me mode isn't essential at all. My first choice as I said above would be the Mini. Hopefully, Skydio will expand their product line and produce something that competes with DJI's line such as the Mini.
    Maggot12 and Snake Oiler like this.
  12. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess DJI will come fast to the full autonomous flight scene. They have ver 3 right now and with addition of few sensors and maybe upgrade to processors they are clear winner. Simply because the mass production. The price will be right for most of the consumers. They have already a great camera and long flight time. And ADS-B technology.
  13. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that Skydio designed their business plan with the end goal of being acquired by a bigger player... DJI would be the obvious first choice...
    yoohah likes this.
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I've seen in some YouTube videos that Skydio definitely is heading to the search and rescue roam and bigger company ideas. I'd say DJI is happy to deal with us little guys. One is the sales numbers, and then less legal issues from the big plays.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'm not a hardcore buy american consumer but I definitely have some sentiments in that direction, made the decision to buy a SD2 a little easier. The new DJI Mavic is a nice drone and it's follow is probably good enough for most consumers. Added to the other DJI features and it's a very nice drone at a good price.

Globalization is great for consumer prices but it can also pigeon hole a consumer technology, company A makes something well + cheaply, company B doesn't benefit from the cheap labor and has a tough time competing, eventually it can't compete and closes down. Company A meanwhile is moving forward with development and eventually owns the market. Who would have thought America had to come up with a modern design for ventilators to help supply the shortage, apparently almost all are made off-shore, primarily china. The current crisis outlines the pitfall's of globalization. Big Pharma moved all kinds of manufacturing off-shore, it's kinda scary having some other country controlling something that important.

As a country, when we can't produce what we need to exist we've given up some of our sovereignty.
    Anby, Albie, jasiu and 2 others like this.
  16. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I'm with you Freak! In general the global economy has been a win for consumers, but there are cases where strategic products have to be available domestically. The COVID-19 pandemic has really highlighted that.
    RideFreak likes this.
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    It's called stimulus check. I think it should be used at home. Not on line, I thought it was to try to keep what businesses we have locally providing us with the things we need up and running so they are still available. I couldn't imagine that Wally world being the only place to shop. How long would you think it would be until we all were wearing the same clothes or eating the same poison to brainwash us all. Now that scares me way more than anything else out there.
    RideFreak likes this.
  18. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I agree... I'm not boycotting DJI, but I sold all my drones except my mighty Spark, and then picked up the Skydio. I use the Spark for pics (AEB) and the Skydio for video.

Our April motorcycle ride through NV-AZ-NM, video supplied by the Skydio, and stills by the Spark.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Great vid FTL.

I thought I recognized Hwy 191, great ride, 100mi of twisties all to yourself.
    FTL900 likes this.
  20. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I'm an old retired cinematographer interested in Drones, specifically the Mavic. I saw the comparison video of the Mavic 2 vs Skydio 2. The tracking on the Mavic may have been thrown off by the Skydio cutting in front of it, so I discount that difference.

The cold color of the Mavic could be warmed up in post, but the resolution looked better on Skydio camera not just the color. The contrast looked worse too on the Mavic. Did Skydio sandbag DJI on this video or is the comparable image difference that drastic in the RW?