Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    This thread needs a boost. Here's some drone video riding up a cool slot canyon. I wasn't sure how the SD2 would handle it so I was doing allot of looking back at the drone, it's still a little unnerving flying the drone up a narrow canyon with water at the bottom and quite a few drone snagging branches above. it was a non issue though, I've got lots of great drone footage from the trip.

Kingfish, MacG, Shaggie and 8 others like this.
  2. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    That drone is just amazing! I don't think a human could have navigated the canyon better.
    RideFreak likes this.
  3. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait for my SD2 to show up! The things it’s capable of are smashing, working with a Parrot in the mean time was able to get some really good footage last weekend from our poker run weekend. Should have a vid out by the weekend
    RideFreak likes this.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I may steal an over-used phrase... what a bitchen ride!
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  5. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you guys seen the new DJI Mavic Air 2 active track in action?
    It’s a huge improvement !

It is nearly as good as Skydio2.
  6. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Skip to 9:00
  7. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I figured DJI wouldn't be far behind once the Skydio 2 hit the market. Wonder if they'll make a specific model for active tracking / action sports?
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Todd, it's one of my favorite trails.
    Todd157k likes this.
  9. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I heard something about DJI loosing a infringement lawsuit and having a possibility that they will not be able to sell a few models here in the states. Mostly their folding drones. Anyone else hear anything about this?
  10. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The improvement really surprised me. Thanks to Skydio 2 for pushing DJI.
    I think DJI has basically killed off Skydio with the new tracking system on Mavic air 2.
    Skydio small production team cannot really cope with the demand, dji will definitely take the advantage from that as well.

Yes, actually both sides are from China...
    That is bad news for US users.
  11. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Maybe in one aspect but good for Skydio a US company. And let's all try to remember our own here at home. I'm a firm believer it's going to take all of us working together to bring back our country.
  12. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mavic Air 2 seems to be a better choice now for riding (my opinion). I have a Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Zoom. Both are excellent. But I couldnt get past the size of the SD2 to think of taking it along on an offroad trip. Just too big for me. Now the Air2 with the folding form factor, thats a winner!
    Oeths likes this.
  13. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome footage!
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It's between them and Autel Robotics and covers the folding legs and prop attachment as far as I can tell. Since they're both Chineese companies I suspect and licensing agreement will be hammered out before they stop selling them in the US.

https://dronedj.com/2020/05/18/autel-robotics-could-ban-dji-drones-from-sale-us/
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I put my money where my mouth is and supported Skydio (got 1 of the 1st batch orders and ordered every accessory they have, and I think it's a great and solid product. I think it can be improved and I hope their company can be dynamic enough / get enough investment to iterate quickly on their software and hardware design - I think DJI has the resources / capital to do this faster, IMHO - but we'll see.
    We will all be winners if Skydio grows fast enough / diversifies their model range to compete with DJI - but more than likely, if their software / design is that good, maybe DJI would acquire them, heh. :D
    The Virginian and Snake Oiler like this.
  16. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mavic Air 2 tracking is an improvement over past DJI tracking but there is literally no comparison to what the Skydio 2 can do.
  17. brianpc

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. Skydio seemed to hit it out of the park with the 2, I fear DJI won't be far behind but I'm hoping they make great software updates to keep their edge. The Skydio hardware (cameras, drone motor, etc) seems robust enough for the time being.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The issue goes further than software, from what I've read they'll have to up the game a good bit with the processor which is what's limiting the M2 tracking and avoidance speeds to 20mph. Their current drone tech relies on a tiers based on similar hardware across the Mavic platform. It's not an easy nut to crack, I have no doubt they can do it but I suspect that drone would be very different compered to what they are selling now.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  19. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. And the Mavic Air 2 and new Matrice 300 have a different propeller mounting system already. It seems DJI knew it was going to lose the lawsuit.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I have a SD 2 myself. But picked it used for a guy who lost his job cause of the virus. It's a shame I got it like that, but I did have a deposit on one that was to be in the third quarter of this year. I bet that would not have happened now with this crazy going on. Good for both parties. I got a good deal but didn't still it even tho I set the price myself. Now the sad fact is I really haven't played with it hardly at all. Lol