1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty amazing @RideFreak what that drone was doing. @Kmendez as it followed you through the winding roads, it looked as if it was gonna go through those dead trees. Did it? No trouble? Or was it flying over?

That some pretty cool stuff! I guess I'll get in on batch 5!
  2. CRracer712

Oddometer:
    SD2 ordered.

What would those that have one consider required accessories that aren't included with starter kit?

Obviously the beacon. What about the controller? Is that the only way to fly it manually? 2 extra batteries enough?
    RideFreak likes this.
  3. Darkside500

Darkside500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a SD2 last month. I think they said late Oct. delivery. I was looking for an idiot proof drone too. I've never even posted a vid on youtube. So I'll need to get a video editing program and learn how to use it.
  4. BokaRoka

BokaRoka It always seems like a good idea

Oddometer:
    Love Idaho, planning on going next year for the GRIT 3 tracks and taking the Skydio. You guys are riding at what I would call a conservative/slow pace, how do you think the skydio would handle some quicker dual-sporting? Can it keep up in the 30-45 mph range with the beacon and still avoid obstacles? Not sure what it's top speed is when tracking an object
    Kmendez likes this.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The intro prices on accessories is better then if you go back later. I bought everything but rarely use the controller but that's just me, I got the SD to follow a motorcycle. I use the beacon and the app most of the time. I got three spare batteries, they last about twenty min each. I'd suggest a couple extra props.
    CRracer712 likes this.
  6. CRracer712

Oddometer:
    Can you fly the SD2 manually without the controller? IDK how much I would fly manually, my primary purpose is the same as yours, to follow me on my motorcycle or ATV.

I assume I'd want the beacon. You said you bought everything, I believe you got in on the first batch before they had the 3 different bundled kits ranging from 500 to 1500 bucks?

Do you use their filters in your videos?

It seems the controller isn't very well regarded and thought if manual flight by phone was possible, just to try it out, I'd hold off to see if they come out with a better controller. If not, I guess I'd probably buy the 900.00 kit.
  7. CRracer712

Oddometer:
    Found the online PDF manual to the SD2, it answers my piloting questions:)
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I have the filters and use them sometimes. They (ND8) help on a very bright day but I have issues with anything but the lowest filter, I was getting warnings that it was too dark to take off, I didn't explore the issue so it may have been me. The drone moves around a good bit so you can go from pointing into the sun to flying under trees in the shade, I will use the ND8 if I'm out in the desert on a sunny day. There were no bundles back when I got it; in order of importance I'd get the beacon, extra batteries and some props, beyond that I'd rate the rest as nice to have but not essential.
    CRracer712 likes this.
  9. CRracer712

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'll probably just opt for the 500.00 kit with 2 batteries, beacon and dual charger base (and overpriced SD card).

I saw on SD forum where you linked to a charger you use with the charger base, but it doesn't come up anymore. That's probably something that's not very important to me at the moment. I doubt I'll be burning through batteries that fast.

Thanks for your help!
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I just picked out a 95 w laptop charger with USB 3.1. Nothing special, ebay and amazon are full of them. I used that with the dual charging base, apparently if you use the stock wall charger it's slower to charge batteries with the dual charger due to it's size, I haven't verified that but having an extra lets me charge the beacon at the same time. With the latest update the dual charger's USB 3.1 pass through port will now also charge additional items. It charges pretty quick, I've got 110V outlet in my truck and have used it quite a few times to recharge the drone, it's 400W and is as fast as charging at home.
  11. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably not.
    At that speed would have a hard time following and avoiding.
    Every time we tried to go faster and it had to avoid obstacles is the only times it could follow.
    We rode at slow pace just for those minutes we were filming.
  12. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it flew thru the trees many times
    The videos are much longer and some of the edited out video is impressive about avoidance.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Hasn't been much drone video posted up lately. Here's a recent on taken yesterday with the Skydio. The recent update allowing the drone to track from further off is a nice improvement.

I was riding by myself that day, I flew 4 batteries worth with zero issues. No lost subject issues, occasionally there's a shudder seen in the video, it's a little annoying but with 80 min of video to choose from there's no shortage of usable footage to pick from.

14. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    That's killer, Chris. :beer
    RideFreak likes this.
  15. Levvy

Levvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris, do you have an edit that shows the camera shutter (or a timestamp in your video)?
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Hi Levvy, I sent you a PM. I'm not complaining, like I said, I got over an hour of video, 99.9% usable except for the fact that some of it's not entertaining which isn't the fault of the SD2.
  17. Levvy

Levvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries! Bugs happen sometimes - thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    RideFreak likes this.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    We need some more content in here, I can't be the only one flying a drone on my rides.

19. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha. I've been debating the s2, but waiting to see the specs on the new M3 that's supposed to drop this weekend.
  20. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even if we wanted to brave the ash-air crap, all the parks and forests in CA are closed. I took out my emtb just to go on a little trail in town and it was roped off. :dirtdog
    RideFreak likes this.