1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nice. Post some video when you get a chance ok.
    Halen likes this.
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang RF.. I got pretty excited looking at the Staaker. The 'follow me' is exceptional. I've had the DJI phantom and my son has the Mavic (which the 'follow me' doesn't seem to work all that well when there's multiple bikes and/or other bikes going by you in either direction). Unfortunately, there's a few things that just wouldn't work for me. No obstacle avoidance is a biggy. Also no FPV, and the cost of adding a camera just puts it out of the ballpark for me. I'm not a big fan of gopro to begin with. I use the Sony FDR-X3000 on my helmet. Hopefully their next gen Staaker will incorporate these features and an optional joystick controller.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It’s definitely not for everybody Todd. I think the things the made my decision is the speed and duration of the staaker and it’s teather. I already have the cameras so that didn’t play into it.

Post up some drone/motorcycle vids if you got them. We can all learn from what the other guys are doing. :beer
    Halen likes this.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Here's some more practice with the drone. I'm still tying out camera settings and shot angles. On this video the FOV was set to narrow which isn't the look I'm trying for, it pulls everything in too tight.

The Virginian and brianpc like this.
  5. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of battery life are you seeing per flight, at speeds like that?
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I went about 6 miles and landed with 30% left, a good bit of the ride was slower @ 20-25mph
  7. wfv56

wfv56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That drone seems to work great in the desert. Any idea how well it would do in the South East with lots of trees? Does it work well for video and photos not related to following the bike? Thanks Bill
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be any good in an area with alot of trees. Most drones don't fly in among trees very well, at least in this price range. There's some expensive ones that do, one was mentioned earlier in the thread.

This does have a scenery mode for filming but I haven't played with it much.
    Pch123 likes this.
  9. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I'm really glad I stumbled on this thread. I got a Mavic Pro in December (with the Fly More Combo, which is absolutely worth it) and what with our wonderful rainy season here in Canada's Pacific South We(s)t, I've only been able to fly it a few times. All of my flights have been "tests" where I'm foot based, not bike-based. I've been trying to gradually unleash the electronic tethers, but find I am staying in beginner mode quite a lot until I'm used to actually flying the unit.

The next test will be follow-me mode - my Chesapeake Bay Retriever will make a willing subject there - now that the weather is getting warmer.

I do plan on bringing the drone with me, as the Fly More Combo case is actually remarkably good and compact, and can carry the drone, controller, batteries, cables, etc., etc. at once, in a really small space.

I came late to motorcycling. I came late to GoPros (have a Hero 4 and 5). Got the drone just as they were taking off (see what I did there...?). Now I'm exploring the world of PC video editing - making a video is always harder than it seems.

Thanks for this thread!
  10. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    The Airdog II has arrived and I'm taking it out tomorrow to see what it's about. There are several Texas Hill Country roads that are fairly empty that I'd like to capture. I only have a week before I head to Mexico, so I need to get as much flying time as possible.

I'll post up my test footage.
    Roszko2 and The Virginian like this.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the videos Halen. If you don't know or haven't already, read up on the LiPo batteries. They like to be stored at half charge, not full and you probably want a small LiPo safe (fireproof bag) to store them in. Never charge them unattended. I stumbled across some of this info when looking for a 12V charger and started to dig deeper. I never gave them much thought before but they definitely require different care than most batteries.
    Halen likes this.
  12. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the advice on the LiPo batteries, excellent data points. The drone only came with one battery and they are sold out on their site. I'll be traveling to Mexico with just one, so my goal is to make the shots count. My bike has an outlet that I can plug an additional charging source for the batteries. You've got me wondering if I should be doing this while covering hundreds of miles a day. It would be sitting in my tank bag.

Tomorrow will be a good test as I'm going to use the drone till the battery drains. I'd like to see how much real flying time I actually have. The same holds true for the GoPro 5 that it will be carrying.
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels and looking forward towards the video!
    Halen likes this.
  14. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed learning more about advances in drone technology, particularly with high resolution cameras. And some of the videos posted in this thread are outstanding. Yesterday, at breakfast with a bunch of folks that I ride with, we were discussing use of drones with motorcycles. One of the guys sent me the link below. It presents an interesting comparison to drones with video cameras -

CRracer712, CaseyB, Jager and 6 others like this.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That's a cool video, esp when the bird tucks it's wings and is down to the ground in seconds. We need to ditch these electronic contraptions and get a good Raptor, obstacle avoidance is off the charts and the flight duration is excellent;. A few pigeon kills along the way would only add to the video's excitement :D
    Fast1, CaseyB, dmac1 and 2 others like this.
  16. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use the Mavic Pro when riding (ie follow me mode), where do you put the controller? It should be fairly easy to grab to a hand when you stop and start to fly manually. I have been thinking to attach the controller somehow with velcro to top of my tankbag. Would it be a good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    That's what I do, a little velcro. Since my Wolfman tank bag already had velcro for the map pocket I just stick it there. There are some pics somewhere here on ADV of guys using the Perfect Squeeze phone holder with their phones and Mavic controller.
    yoohah likes this.
  18. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you happen to have a Garmin Monterra or Montana mounted to your bike, the Mavic controller fits like a glove. Just put a little piece of foam at the top and it works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CaseyB, dmac1, BDO and 4 others like this.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Desert, Dirtbikes and Drones :evil
  20. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    The ridge line shots are outstanding and the shift of perspective @ 4:37 was top notch. Nice work @RideFreak