1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Drones & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RideFreak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Nice, reminded me of this one... (I hope it's ok to post my stuff since it's hopefully on topic..). Drone shots start around 0:25 (since nobody has the time these days to watch a 3 minute video ;)

FTL900, dmac1, Aces 6 and 5 others like this.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Halen. It was a fun ride. I ran up the altitude on this one to avoid the trees,
  3. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    How close can the drone get to you when riding? It would be cool to see a close up, mid range, and wide angle perspective.

The other question I have is in regards to color shifts in your video. Is this done in camera due to available light changes or are you shifting color in post?
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Im using a medium angle perspective. Wide makes objects appear further than they are away, medium seems like a decent compromise. It'll stay about 15-20' in front of you.

[​IMG]

Not sure what the deal is with the color, I'm shooting in Protune and the colors definitely shift. It's annoying.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Very nice video Plawa, thanks for posting it. We're passing through there in early June, I'm going to send a link to your video to the other guys so they can see what the area looks like.
    Plawa likes this.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Is your white balance set to auto? I set it to Sunny on my Mavic and never looked back, at least that way even if it isn't 100% right it's at least consistently wrong.. And really most of drone flying happens when it's sunny anyway.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'll try that, thanks.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I took the drone along today.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job. Funny but you get a whole different ride up there.. you see so much more of the landscape that I'll bet you hardly even noticed when riding it.
  10. Mpesi

Mpesi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris, how do you pack your drone on a bike? I am considering to take DJI spark and put it in tank-bag. I have small molded case for it but worried about motorbike vibrations....

Any advice is great.

Cheers,
    Ales
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry too much about motorcycle vibrations. That's nothing compared to the vibes from four motors and blades spinning at 12K + RPM's.
    stuarthw likes this.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Ales, I don't have a lot of experience hauling these around but someone turned me on to an idea I thought was a good one. They wrap the drone in Messinger Wrap. It's the same stuff photographers use to wrap lenses, a padded material that has velcro at the corners. Works great to buffer the outside of the drone from things. I realize the drone does see allot of vibration so it may not be needed.
    Mpesi likes this.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Todd, it does add a totally new perspective to the ride. It's tough to capture the vistas and vast landscapes we see out west using an action cam, especially since I'm no photographer. The drone does it better than I ever could. I knew those gullies in the video were next to the road but without stopping and going through the bushes you'd never know how deep they were, I'd hate to over shoot a corner and end up in one. The drone captured it perfectly.
    Todd157k likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I think for my Summer trips - about 7500 miles worth, I'd like to get a drone that takes up less than 10L of space in my side or top cases. My workflow is exclusively 4K now. Couldn't go back to 1080P without viewers noticing and while resolution isn't everything, best to not switch resolutions unless I was doing some sort of PIP view where the smaller clip in the corner didn't matter much.

So Spark is out. I think it comes down to Mavic Air or Pro, Both would be the Fly More Combo because the guards, extra propellers and batteries all cost more when bought separately.

I have never used follow me but that's certainly a big and I live in the Northeast so obstacle avoidance is nice I keep wanting to pull the trigger on an Air as it's edging out the pro in everything except flight-time but the Pro is aging so refresh soon?

There's always more tech on the horizon but I wonder if I"ll regret not waiting another year.
  15. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every year new tech will come out they will add features or add that feature you wish yours had. It’s almost impossible to keep your tech always cutting edge and the latest without breaking the bank. Find the best and latest tech that you can afford, and meets your current needs, buy it and use it now. Why wait and miss the opportunities to capture images and moments, many times it’s not about the technology, but how you use it. When the new tech comes out wait until there have been enough features and new technology that makes it worthwhile to invest again for a substantial gain in technologies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aces 6 likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Mavic Pro was released September of 2016. I'm sort of looking for information on an iteration of this before purchasing the Air.

I work in technology, I'm not looking for a crystal ball, simply rumors on a refreshed model. A refresh is surely imminent it's just a matter of it happening next week or Fall. Definitely this year.

The Air is cheaper than the Pro and has better features. That alone is indication that the currently sold Mavic Pro is not long for this world.
  17. stuarthw

stuarthw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys, be aware that the spark and mavic air use a different communication system to the mavic pro. Having all three, I find only the mavic pro has the really useful range. the other two can be frustrating when the drone gets approx 400m from the controller. All three are fun , but you get what you pay for imho. (I disagree with Adam above)
  18. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having checked on rumor mill and when the toys came out, I suspect new Mavic is imminent , probably released through press in or around September 2018. I like latest with feature I like and the money I am willing to part, so I am now going to wait to see.
    Meritlane likes this.
  19. frontman

frontman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Full Mavic Pro kit here, including the goggles. After you use the goggles once, you’ll never want to fly without them, be warned ;)

Cool videos!
  20. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    The amount of "Goggles for sale, only used once" ads I see on drone forums indicate it might not be a universal sentiment ;)
    FTL900 and AdamChandler like this.