Camp in yosemite but it's impossible to get a campsite

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Conroy, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Conroy

Conroy n00b

Oddometer:
    Dear all

does anyone had the experience to ask people to share a campsite in yosemite?

This weekend is my birthday, I've always wanting to do a solo trip / moto-camping in yosemite and finally made up my mind to do it in 6/21-23, but the campsite is impossible to get. so I'm thinking if people do share their campsite ? Not sure if yosemite is motorcycle friendly. my bike is 2016 1200GSA, will that increase the chance that camp host to reject me?

Thanks
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I've had several success in doing just that.. just pull up around 6pm-8pm..not too late

and ask a smaller group if they mind if u share the site with.. chances are they will say yes...

and if they say no.. take no offense and try another... no harm / no foul..

You might meet some good future friends as well..
    cmattina likes this.
  3. Coastie3202

Coastie3202 King of MY Mountain

Oddometer:
    I don't like people so no interest in sharing anything with them. :boid I try to stay away from national parks because of the overcrowding. It's gotten ridiculous.
    brgsprint likes this.
  4. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 n00b

Oddometer:
    There's national Forest all around Yosemite. Mt Raymond road for the South entrance/41, Merced River recreation area at Briceberg for Arch Rock/140, and Cherry Lake road for Big oak flat/120W.

Otherwise wait until Tioga and all the campgrounds along it open for a season, that is where all the true first come first serve campgrounds are located.
    rudy4pl, Amphib and jnyrav like this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck asking other campers if they'd be willing to split a site. In fact, I just did that this past week in Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.

Take a loop around the campground, a few types of people I look for:

RVers who aren't using the site at all. Quite a few people in RVs simply park in the campsite. I'll ask them if they mind if I pull my bike in and set up a tent and use the picnic table. This goes double for folks in VW buses. They've got that hippie mentality and most are more than happy to share the site with you.

Other motorcyclists.

Failing that, I just look for a camp with a small group. They'll probably be sitting out by the fire. I don't approach families or couples.

I just approach them and explain that there aren't any open sites and ask if they'd be willing to split their site and that I'd like to set up my tent on the other side of the campsite, away from where they already are.

Jamie
    Maggot12 and ExodusRider like this.
  6. Conroy

Conroy n00b

Oddometer:

thank you Exodurider, you had such good luck man, noted with thanks, will go probably go around 5-7pm to make some new friend :jack
  7. Conroy

Conroy n00b

Oddometer:
    hey Jamie, thank you so much for advise, will definitely go with your suggestion, hope I will meet some cool people in the park!
  8. Conroy

Conroy n00b

Oddometer:

Thank you Cherbet86, thank you I heard Tioga road is must go when you in yosemite, so I will go no matter what.
  9. Conroy

Conroy n00b

Oddometer:
    yosemite is one of the most popular NP in the world, so i've already have the expectation it will be super crowded, but thank you for replied tho. appreciate it :-)
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Briceberg is a good suggestion right on the river. Just beware of swift water.

Another spot that is close is called Yosemite Bug Hostel.
    Parrothead likes this.
  11. OTB

OTB Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer:
    Yosemite is Sacramento’s city park. Avoid camping there.
  12. Parrothead

Parrothead Cu Dubh

Oddometer:
    Is the Bug Hostel still there?!? Last time I went through there (last year) it looked closed. If it is open,mit's a great place to stay. Parrotwife &I have stayed there when motorcycling around the Sierras and enjoyed the relaxed pace of the place.

13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think so. Maybe they closed temporarily when the fire was close, or seasonally?

https://www.yosemitebug.com/lodging/
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamies advice is spot on. If the park allows you to "cruise through" to look then that door opens more easily. We do that even with our trailer to size things up. Also some CG's have drive up sites not listed online. Most parks in FL where we snowbird have a 10% held for driveup's and all parks these days have a % for disabilty users that become available at a certain time of day.
    These policies vary within even a state system by the park in mind. As the services go away the availability goes up as the RV rigs like elect & water and dump stations, etc., thus NF CG's often are either empty or less used away from the main events.
    The first step is to look online at what are the choices in a given area. Stealth camping can kick in when all else fails. I've camped in tents at edges of Walmarts and Burger Kings too. Cell tower areas can be a great spot.
    Parrothead likes this.
  15. Parrothead

Parrothead Cu Dubh

Oddometer:
  16. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    Yosemite has some campsites that are first come first serve. Check their web site for details on how to get one, if you get there very early in the morning, you may have a chance to get one, but they go pretty fast on Fridays and Saturdays in the summer.

I would consider staying in Oakhurst or another nearby town with a motel, although many of those will be booked full also. Another possibility is to camp at a nearby national forest, and day trip into Yosemite. Sierra National forest is to the south, Stanislaus national forest is to the north and Inyo national forest is to the east. If you are just going to ride through the valley and stop at a few pull outs to take pics of your bike, then you don't really need a campsite in the valley.
  17. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I lived in the Bay Area on occasional weekends I’d “do passes”. Ebbett’s, Monitor, Sonora, Tioga, and camp wherever. Numerous times I found a spot just outside the park, within a mile or two of the west entrance. One time I found a spot along Tioga Pass Road inside the park. And I was on a street bike, so choices were limited. On my GS I suspect it would be easier to find good spots.
    I never tried camping in the valley. I’d almost always ride through there on my way through the park, and it was always a zoo. A couple times I was caught up in traffic and it took a while to get out of the valley. National parks shouldn’t be like that.
  18. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Show up late and ask the camp host for an overflow site. Some are more receptive than others, but none has turned me away yet...and they are usually close to the toilets. Practice your lost dog face and appear humble for miscalculating your time and being terrified of riding in the dark with wild animals all around.
    Amphib likes this.
  19. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Targeting VWs gives me a little chuckle :D