Camp sites near(ish) Cottonwood Canyon State park

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Byway Writer, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Byway Writer

Byway Writer Backroads Explorer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I will be taking a mostly road ride starting Friday, Sept. 3. We need an area to shoot for along Hwy 206 between Wasco and Condon. Any good no reservations-needed spots? I don't think I've been in this area an no idea whether it is private property or if there are campsites nearby.
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    The Lone Pine CG is right there at CW Canyon SP. It's nice and spacious enough, but a bit barren with only that one pine for shade, and it can get super windy sometimes. Right now it'll be hot as hell, but the canyon itself is very beautiful if you're into walks. The miles-long old ranch roads along the river are now non-motorized and really worth the hike.
    Byway Writer likes this.
  3. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    Cottonwood Canyon is great but might be crowded that day. We were there earlier this year and it was packed with river rats. There is another road access on the east side of the park, all gravel. No camp sites but dispersed camping may be allowed. Everything else along 206 is private with nowhere to hide.
    Byway Writer likes this.
  4. Byway Writer

Oddometer:
    @Apple Jam and @dhally Thanks for the input from two excellent sources. Of course we're hitting this area while the furnace is getting cranked on.
  5. Byway Writer

Oddometer:
    We scored a reservation for a campsite at Memaloose State Park. We'll head down Hwy 206 the following day. No late-night site searching needed. Thanks again for the help.