Camp Table

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jamie Z, Nov 15, 2019.

1. MoseFitch

MoseFitch Chicken Rancher Supporter

Oddometer:
    For metal panniers, Touratech has this. Seems it would be easy to make one up yourself. If I get around to it and make one up this winter, I'll post the result

Capture.JPG
  2. Moto-music

Moto-music South Coast BMW Riders Club

Oddometer:
    I use the Helinox table pictured in your first post. I'm very happy with it, and take it on every moto camping trip.
  3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    0808190632_HDR.jpg
    I use my bags if there isnt a picnic table. I do like some of the ideas shown here though!
  4. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in Australia picnic tables are not very common, and there will be a lot less after the fires now burning in my favourite mountain range. I posted stuff about my table earlier in this thread but it's time for an update. I have gone a step or two further, simply because one horizontal surface is not sufficient if you are into serious cooking when touring or rallying. I've been working on a new cooking system and needed a place to store some large flat things so a drawer in the table seems an obvious choice ...

I make my living as a drafter so I like to model things in a CAD package before I start building.

MODEL.jpg

The result:

C 01.jpg

C 02.jpg

Both tables have a level bubble and magnets let into their tops. The magnets are for attaching extendable task lights. The small table is part of the cooker as well as being a very handy table by my side when slobbing by the campfire with a full belly. You can see how useful the drawer is here:

C 03.jpg

The windshield is made from parts of two chinese windshields fitted with little magnetic feet. These clack onto the edge of a steel pizza dish to make a very secure enclosure. The stove also has a magnetic foot and with some similarly magnetic standoffs and a couple of nesting lightweight stainless bowls it becomes an oven within an oven.

C 04.jpg

I've been experimenting at home. Here's a slow cooked beef roast and a loaf of multigrain bread. Mmmm.

C 05.jpg

O, and I use temperature probes to monitor oven and meat temps. This $30 gadget (Amazon) has Bluetooth and comes with a phone app so I can monitor from a distance with preset and custom alarms for temps and timing.

C 06.jpg
  5. goosecreek

goosecreek A day late and a dollar short. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow I would say you need a hobby but damn.
    Looks like you have one and mastered it.
    Wow just wow @Brun
    It maybe a bit much for a bike but still.
    Brun likes this.
  6. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    Brun likes this.
  7. LeeMan

LeeMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    15792173574408786568980654159821.jpg

15.5 inches x 13.5 inches

Attached Files:

9. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    Cheap on Amazon and perfect with the helinox style camp chairs. 15792175989246610377166813445113.jpg
  10. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have that. I do use it occasionally, especially when base camping... it’s nice to set my beer on something and know it’s not going to tip over, but I don’t use it enough to make it worth carrying most of the time.

What I’m thinking now is a board that fits between two top cases. Something like this:

0904F15C-BDBC-4B53-8E7F-1F690FDDE47E.jpeg
    Maggot12 likes this.
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've considered similar pannier/table ideas in the past, but I like to keep stuff I'm not using in my panniers while I'm at camp. Mostly riding gear, but other camp-related things too. And I'm imagining having food/beer/etc all out on my "table"... when I realize my fork is still in the pannier. Or I need my headlamp... out of my pannier.
  12. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Piano hinge a peice of aluminum to the outside top of the box the same size as the box all you would have to add is a prop rod or some kind of legs
  13. TFC

TFC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z I know you’ve already made your purchase, but saw this and thought of your requirement to store the table in the panniers. This obviously fits the bill, but is quite small when in use. I love the idea - wish they could figure out how to offer a larger size.

https://cascadewild.com/ultralight-folding-table

Mordster likes this.
  14. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice design. Wish it were taller...
  15. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    goosecreek likes this.
  16. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    I have a Coleman version but at just over 200lbs I have to be careful with the benches.
  17. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The table is very well designed but overly complicated. In general the roll up aluminum slat type tables are very nice. My buddy has a stand alone one that is a bit taller. The legs are very simple. I think I would rather have that one as I don't use the benches much except for kids. The table alone type rolls up smaller.