Camping Axe / Hatchet recomendations

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by onesaintsfan, Nov 18, 2015.

1. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Sure you can use these things for splitting off kindling....

[​IMG]

Or cutting saplings for tarp poles...

[​IMG]

But the real test, is how well can it slice a lime for your Rum...

[​IMG]

DW
    Castos, 16VGTIDave and Nickhob like this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    The Sgt did provide input on a couple different axes. An axe goes everywhere that I'm going overnight. Bike or car. Sometimes I add a machette as well. I also have a multitool that has a couple cutting utensils in it. and I also carry a regular fixed blade to cut steak or trout.

3. 27Dgresridn

27Dgresridn LowMi Lurker/HiPerf Sherpa

Oddometer:
    I have the small Gerber Combo...one of the smallest most packable and robust axes I've owned...it has a built-in knife in the handle which cuts the limes no problems...i've hacked up 8" logs with this thing and it takes about 20 minutes to section a 6 foot pine tree...
  4. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just so everybody knows, the Gerber hatchets are made by Fiskars.

The hatchet/knife combo is basically the same than the Fiskars X5 and the hatchet/saw similar to the X7 (without the knife/saw obviously).

Those aren't as sexy and "refined in a vintage way" as are the Gränsfors Bruk or the Wetterlings but they are good tools and very cheap (not comparable to the 2 aforementioned brands price wise) for what they are. They also have this "modern and functional not unpleasing at all" look if that talks to you. This won't be a bad purchase if you're going this route.

The X5 is a little bit too small to me to be really practical but it's a case of "it's better than no hatchet at all" if it's all you can carry. Anyway, YMMV and I'm happy if it works for some of you. In fact, the X5 should be a bit longer and the X7 a bit shorter (X6 someone?) for a nice do-it-all and easy to carry around hatchet. I don't know, something like 12" long would be the sweet spot.

The Husky perfectly fits in between if you ask me. If you're more about old school tools, if you prefer the look of it and the ability to change the handle if something happens, I think that for around 40$, this hatchet is a good contender. I've held one in my hands few years ago and it seemed well balanced.

It's sad that the new model is longer though. The old model had the perfect length to me and the head was kinda sexier.

[​IMG]

In fact, I may buy one for myself now that I think about it...not that I need one more axe/hatchet but I'm sure you guys can understand this...:lol3

But maybe I'm talking about hatchet too much since I should just walk around and experience my surroundings to find a rock and collect kindling. It's why I'm out there anyway, isn't it? :hide
  5. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I use the one on the left, but I'm hoping Santa brings me the one on the right. That way I can cut limes and shave with it too.

[​IMG]

DW
  6. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    lol.
    I have the axe version of the one on the left permanently in the jeep.
    And I have the one on the right that I carry on the bike or anytime going into the woods. (I did customize the poll/butt by rounding it and smoothing/polishing it out... see there hunters hatchet for reference)
  7. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry one of these:
    [​IMG]
    My mother bought it for me for my first construction job (roofing) when I was 17. That was 39 years ago! I lost the gauge many moons ago. Doubles as a hammer, nail puller and bottle opener as well!
    DGarman and ezwicky like this.
  8. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    WOw! Interesting that you cant hardly find one the COMES WITH a leather sheath
  9. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I have both an Estwing 16-inch "Camper Hatchet" and two length Fiskars wood-splitting mauls. They're both lovely. The Estwing is a proper hatchet. When sharp it's an excelling cutting tool. The only disadvantage is it's not small or light. But it works great. As you wear off the epoxy coat, it needs a little bit of cleaning to ensure it doesn't rust.
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i dont think so,,,, they are essentially the same company but have two separate manufacturing sites.

also i have two sizes of husky ax,,,, small forest and hatchet,, with the "sexier" head. excellent tools.
  11. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
  12. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    compact and the knife slips into the handle of the axe. Perfect for pounding tent stakes and cutting small pieces of wood not the best at splitting but I have split small logs with it before. The knife is pretty solid works great for cutting up food or making tinder.

[​IMG]
  13. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying that!

I always thought the Gerber were made at the same plant than the Fiskars.

Not that it really changes something in the end though.
  14. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    actually i think it might,,,,when i wanted a splitting ax i bought the gerber,,, then i found out fiskars version was made in finland, so i bought the fiskars version and compared the two,,, the fiskars keeps an edge pretty good where the gerber is softer and looses it quickly, needing more attention. gave the gerber to my buddy for a bday gift.

however thats not to say the gerber ax isnt good,,, i argue its the best ax you can buy in that price range with the exception of marbles tools. far as i know all marbles tools are still hand forged but now made in el salvador, similar to condor who also make a pretty good ax for the money,, but the prices have gone up on condor recently and i dont think its as good a value anymore, but its still a sexy hand forged tool that works well

while i'm on the subject (but off topic) council still makes a good tool for the money.

oh and BTW,,, i have two husqvarna tools, the hatchet and the small forest ax,,, both the older "sexier" heads and i can tell you it really is about as good as gransfors/wetterlings and half the price.
  15. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I read somewhere that the new Husky hatchet is made by Hultafors/Hults Bruk (and when you look at the Hultafors hatchet, it makes sense) while I think that the old one was made by Wetterlings.

Any input about that?
  16. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    your absolutely right,,, and more specifically from everything ive read the older huskys had an additional makers stamp (wetterlings) and the ones with the husky logo only are hults.

also,, if you come across AGDOR tools,, those are also hults
  17. Brad-Man

Brad-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between a Puma Great White Hunter knife and a Gerber Gator saw I'm pretty well covered.
  18. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    Brad its kinda funny, all this talk about hatchets and stuff I only take those in the truck. On the bike its always a mora knife,,, and sometimes a cold steel bushman.
  19. stevets

stevets Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Stasher1 likes this.
  20. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Gränsfors Bruk but wouldn't hammer with it. Get something with a solid head like the Estwing or Gerber.

Peter