Camping Axe / Hatchet recomendations

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by onesaintsfan, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey RumRunner those views out the front of your tarp look familiar to me... and Santa brought me the small forest axe last Christmas. A thing of beauty.

Peter
  2. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Yes, you know that spot well. I should have given you a shout when I was down there this summer. But you know how it is when your on the road... I did drop into Neils Harbour to see our friend, but alas she was not home again! Thatès two years in a row I tried to thank her for the hospitality!

Why wouldnèt you pound tent stakes with the head of your Gränsfors BrukÉ

DW
  3. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who has gone from a hatchet to a handsaw? They're not good for hammering the tent pegs, but they're much more efficient at processing wood for a fire. I prefer to use a knife with a baton for splitting wood. Seen too many injuries with axes and hatchets. It takes a lot of technique and practice with them to be safe.

I like the Silky, but the Bahco also gets good ratings. Youtube has lots of videos showing informal cutting competitions between hatchets and saws.
  4. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    believe it or not,,, the head can become loose on the handle
  5. Littlepeter

Oddometer:
    Why wouldnèt you pound tent stakes with the head of your Gränsfors BrukÉ

It wouldn't be likely, but in an extreme case you could split the eye of the axe head.

Peter
  6. Littlepeter

Oddometer:
    I use a folding saw for cutting to length, but still a small axe for splitting using the technique where you hold the log against the axe head and strike them together on a block.

Peter
  7. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I carry a Sven saw and a Kabar/Becker BK9. This combo works well for me.
  8. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I carry a set of good quality loppers, they easily cut up to 2 1/2 “ with little effort and are neat,fast and quiet. also cut saplings for tarp poles etc.
    I carry them in the same dry bag with my chair and tent poles across my rear seat.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Inch-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000BX1IB6
  9. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Take chances and your screwed. I bought a Survival Tech Camp ax that I got a deal on and its junk.

[​IMG]

So I will be putting that on the flea market and taking a loss. Ended up with the Kersaw Camp Ax that is really nice and will do all I need. Thanks for all the advice you all gave me.
  10. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the husky is made by granfors or wetterlings for half the price it's a no Brainer. My wife bought me a wetterlings hatchet. The smallest one. The handle was a bit short, so I put a longer one on it. It is the best hatchet axe I have ever used. The chopping ability is unreal. I will never buy another axe unless it says granfors bruk or wetterlings. They are superior.
  11. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    SOG Fasthawk. love it.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Similar here.. not too bad but not a real axe. packs small though.

[​IMG]

13. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Sort of like not going outside because you could get hit by a bus when you are crossing the street.

Come, on I've been an outdoors man since my boy scout days, hunter, camper and wood chopper etc... and I can count one or two instances when a head came loose on a handle of an axe.

I have however seen handles break at the head from misuse. In fact here is one that one of my sons buddies did this summer when wrenching the handle side ways because the head was stuck in a wet log he was trying to split kindling off of.

[​IMG]

DW
  14. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    Hey man I didnt make that crap up, gransfors actually says not to hammer it will void any warrantee.
  15. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Well then its a good thing the Madison Ave law firm Gransfors hired didn't write "Do not cut limes with our products" or I would be truly fukkered.

DW
  16. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    as with anything else there is proper technique to using a hatch properly.

I process the bulk of my fire prep (not log splitting... that gets an axe) with a hatchet. But for the fine stuff use my knifes.

It always amazes me when camping with somebody new, how most people don't think when using a bladed tool or just don't know any better. there are great and efficient ways to split wood with a hatchet. In my group of friends we all have our unspoken jobs while out in the woods. Mine tend to be bladed tool related as well as fire starting. My buddies actually get a kick out of new people watching me use the hatchet... but the best part is that I have been able to show them the proper way and techniques to use a hatchet appropriately.

Also one last piece of advice.... the most dangerous blade of any type is a dull blade.
  17. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    That reminds me to try lime in my rum
  18. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I tend to take both a Hatchet and a folding saw. I'd like a Silky, but am working through dulling up a Corona. The saw is nice for dealing with downed trees up to about 6", and for cutting small logs to length for the fire. But the hatchet is nicer for splitting them, and dealing with tent pegs. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the folding saw.

FWIW - Funny you mention injuries with hatchets. Had a trip last year, where I didn't have hatchet, and was doing the batoning thing for the first time on a trip. Worked fine for awhile, then took too big of bite and knife got stuck. While trying to free it, this was the result (Warning: Gory link). I think I'll stick with hatchets.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy174/scott_pdx/CDR 2015/20150907_142303_zpszpcmbbfz.jpg
  19. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    After wasting a lot of calories cutting squaw wood to firepit length that could have been spent productively drinking, I am looking to acquire one of these for next year's camping season. I already have three batteries that fit it in my drill/impact kit.

Slim

[​IMG]
  20. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Slim, I'm sorry to inform you...those batteries won't cut it (no pun intended).

You'll be needing one of these...

[​IMG]

DW