Camping Axe / Hatchet recomendations

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by onesaintsfan, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Cool little saw, never knew such a thing existed. How long will the battery last. I've carried are genny like the one above. Getting a little carried away if that's required very often.

2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Since you're a Makita guy. maybe this...

[​IMG]
  3. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lime cutting is fine as long as you wear non-latex gloves, goggles and are sure to use only food grade oil on the blade.

Peter
  4. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Should I buy insurance as well? You never know, those limes are.... limey :1drink

DW
  5. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes that is gory! Can you tell us specifically how that happened, I mean were you prying, pulling, pushing, etc. to free the knife? I've never seen an injury while batoning but have seen several with hatchets and axes. The most common is not allowing for the length of the handle, missing the wood and having the swing carry the head into various body parts. Kneeling while chopping will prevent most of those injuries, since a miss will strike the ground, not skin. Having it set up so that the axe or hatchet strikes the wood at the point where the handle is horizontal, rather than lower than that, also cuts the chances of such an injury.
  6. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Trying to pull my knife free from being stuck in too big a piece of wood. Knife wouldn't come free, so was working it back and forth, trying to wedge cut open with one foot, and holding the other end of piece of wood with "target" hand. Knife came free abruptly, with a lot of force being applied. Of course is was dark at the time, was a few drinks in and was getting cold, so dexterity wasn't quite there. Knife was a smaller Mora, which probably isn't ideal for batoning.

FWIW - The SportClot I carried for the past few years finally came in handy that night.
  7. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I hope that your Mora was sharp! Hurts less. Just about any length of fixed blade knife is acceptable for batonning but a rule of thumb (sorry for the painful pun) is to limit the size of the wood you're going to split, to wood that is no larger in diameter than half the length of the knife blade (4" blade - 2' diameter wood, max). Avoid going straight through any knots in the wood, they can damage the blade. I don't recommend using a folder unless it's a life or death situation. It's easy to damage the pivot.

If you (not you, but the general you) get the blade stuck it's usually better to tap the grip up and down (along the length the wood) in trying to free it. As you discovered, trying to pull it loose, can be problematic.

But look on the bright side - now you can replace the Sportclot with the latest and greatest "ADVANCED" Sportclot. I hope you never need it.
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  8. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    The recip saw would be a great tool to have around the house but on the mini chainsaw there's no blade flex to deal with. Might be good for the limes though if you used a fine tooth blade.

Well the batteries last a long time on the drill and impact . Don't know how they'd do on the chainsaw. Makita also makes a 36V version that takes two 18V batts.

I love those little Honda and Yammie inverter gennies. I'm going to get a couple for the 5th wheel next year but heck if you're going that route why even fool with batteries? Just a extension cord and you're good to go.
    Maybe it's 205, but a Sven saw packs small and won't split wood of course but it could saw some good size limbs into firepit length.
    Slim
  9. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Just got the $40 Husqvarna from Amazon. Haven't used it yet except to pound tent stakes, but mine is well made with uniform grain up the handle and small gaps around the head/handle.
  10. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    I love that the ZIPPO hatchet comes with everything except a fire starter...
  11. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago an acquaintance of mine had an unfortunate accident with his camp axe. Solo canoe trip -- He buried it into his leg somehow and bled out before he could get help. Report said that he most likely bled out in under an hour due to his injury. Considering the circumstances, even with something like a spot tracker or signaling device it would have been very unlikely help would have arrived in-time.

I do a lot of back county camping and 70% of my trips are solo. Ever since this happened I've stopped carrying an axe. By changing my habits I find an axe is unnecessary for everything in the back crountry. I now have a couple large knives for battening (Much safer) and I use a folding pack saw. https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/bob-dustrude-folding-buck-saw.html an
  12. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Damn, that's brutal but probably not all that uncommon except for the death part.
    Back to the advice above... when using a short axe, chop while on your knees so when you miss, slip, wood jumps, etc... it buries in the dirt.
  13. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    First I mean zero disrespect to your friend.

And only someone who was there can know definitely what and exactly how it happened.

but.... so many people do not use axes/hatches properly. Proper technique is key to using any bladed tool safely.

I live with my hatchet in the woods. to "me" it is a vital piece of equipment.
  14. Drop bear

Drop bear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to necro this thread rather than start a new one. I just got the fiskars x5 and a hultifors mini hatchet. And I think the fiskars works a bit better. It just seems to get sharper.

Fiskars.
    [​IMG]

Hultafors mini.
    [​IMG]

For me I wanted to hammer in tent pegs. Needed a knife for knifey stuff and an axe for chipping kindling out of that bought wood that seems to be the only thing available at a camp site. (Which I pretty much just baton) I have also been getting in to whittling and wanted something to rough carve wood.

And in all of these jobs I really think the fiskars works a bit better. And it is cheaper lighter and has a plastic handle. (which to me is just one less thing I have to worry about untill it snaps in 20 odd years. At which point I will just buy another one.

Apart from normal axe cutting through wood stuff.( And yeah it does suffer from a really short handle) The edge is really sharp. It can do food prep mostly no worries. It is heavy for it but cuts fine. And it has sharp corners top and bottom that serves as a kind of point. At least enough to open packets of stuff.

So I pretty much use that and a pocket knife at the moment. Works pretty well.

Oh. And the cover has a little belt clip now. so works as a sheath.
    UberKul likes this.
  15. Laromonster

Laromonster Lean, mean pacifist machine

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170805_203940.jpg
    I have one of those fiskars x5s but never warmed up to it. The handle is way to short to get a proper swing when splitting.
    Replaced it with a gransfors bruk outdoor axe, similar size head but with three times the handle.
    Splits with ease when canoe or car camping, for bike use I use a stout knife and baton
  16. Drop bear

Drop bear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where I will just use the x5 and a baton. I just haven't found a use for a stout knife. I do have a little folder though.
  17. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    So this just came through my SM feed:

A 5 in 1 tool that actually looks half decent. Link here
    250Keith likes this.
  18. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of these lives in my tool roll. Helps clear trail obstuctions, build log ramps over obstacles, make trail stands and bead breakers. Good for firewood, and you can even split wood with a saw, if it's not bought/pre-cut. A proper bow/buck saw is more efficient, but this beats my Bahco Laplander and I prefer it for ultra-compact/lightweight packing. Don't bother with box store versions that only have one cutting tooth every third link (eg, UST Sabercut). Lots of version on Amazon around $20.

[​IMG]
    phreakingeek likes this.
  19. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    While that may be a decent survival tool, it'll suck as an axe. I have a similar type without the gadgets and the handle is heavier than the head. Can't get any momentum to chop anything with any substance. Spilting kindling is as good as it gets.

QUOTE="Oddfellow, post: 33285158, member: 1621"]Looks interesting. They don’t want to tell you what size the four “hex heads” are though.

[​IMG]

https://shouldersofgiants.com/product/off-grid-tools-survival-axe-elite/?utm_source=emaillower0924

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]