Camping Hammocks, Can You Use Them?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Be Gone For Good, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning a pretty long trip this summer with many stops and a ton of offroad. I would like to pack as light as possible but haven't ever used a hammock before. Can anyone provide me some advice based on their experience with hammocks, tarps, bug netting, and underquilts?

I will be headed to the Colorado/Utah area to do some off-roading on the BDR and general camping. It will likely be pretty cold at night in the elevations but I am hoping to keep the tent at home and just go minimalist. Let me know what you think and I am completely open to other suggestions for the trip as well.

Attached Files:

gwc27526 likes this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There's a very large hammock thread around here somewhere.

Be prepared for a never ending rabbit hole.
  3. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I sort of expected that as obviously everyone is going to be different. I always thought hammocks weren't for me because I am pretty tall (6'5") but I am really hoping to bring down my packing size and weight on this trip. I guess I am about to find out just how far I can tumble...
  4. FDSR_MIKE

FDSR_MIKE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in North central WV...I just switched to a Hammock last year...I wont go back to a tent unless I have to for various reasons. My hammock is the ENO double nest. its actually considered a 2-person hammock however a man of my 220lb girth has plenty of leg/elbow room, 2 average sized folks will be CLOSE. Take 4, 20oz pop bottles (soda?) and youll have the dimensional size it packs down to, tho its much lighter than 80 some oz. I bought the Atlas straps (not required, but definitely handy for your intention) as they will aloow you to setup your hammock regardless of tree size and distance apart. shop around and you can probly snag the setup for under 150 (the straps cost me more than the hammock).
    Another benefit of the hammock is it keeps you off the ground, which you will lose alot of body heat, unless you pack a pad or something. You can purchase additional under and top quilts for cooler temps. I've been in low 50s in mine and have been quite comfy. I use a standard cheapo walmart/harbor freight 6x8 or similar tarp over head as a rain shelter. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy setup with a length of paracord. all this and more packs into one side of my Nelson Rigg soft bags withplenty of room to spare...pics incoming of my setup
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  5. FDSR_MIKE

FDSR_MIKE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was having issues so ignore my DM...but here's a couple pics of my setup... 20180726_090059.jpeg 20180809_073652.jpeg 20180902_185546.jpeg
    DeepBarney and Be Gone For Good like this.
  6. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I use both the hammock and tent. Both actually pack about the same for me if I'm taking a top and under quilt. I have a Hennessy hammock and a couple different tents. But lately I've tried just a tarp set up with a single screen bivy. Pad and sleeping bag. All packs down into a 10L compression sack. That's just my thing now and I'm starting to work out the setup.

My two cents
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hammocks rule, but I agree about the rabbit hole:nod

IMG_20180707_190708609.jpg IMG_20180707_190731086_LL.jpg
    Be Gone For Good and FDSR_MIKE like this.
  8. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I just found this place that sells hammocks and similar straps with a 40% discount on this link and discount code: MADERA40. Have you heard of Madera? It says they plant trees for your order. That seemed pretty cool and the gear looks good too.

http://bit.ly/2V3M4G2
  9. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    A bivy was my other thought but I wondered if at that point I shouldn't just carry a tent. It doesn't seem like the difference between a one man and a bivy is all that extreme.

This feels like it is going to be a much tougher decision than I initially thought.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  10. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I was hoping for. That seems super simple to set up and very little in the way of weight and size. Do you just stow your gear (jacket, boots, pants) under the hammock or do you have a separate tarp to keep all that dry?
  11. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
  12. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I really like the ENO kit that goes around the trees and is USFS legal. Also this may sound obvious but a lot of what you are talking about riding doesn’t have any trees.
  13. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    That wasn't obvious...at least to me. I figured you could ALWAYS find trees but I might have to look into that a bit deeper. I also hadn't heard about USFS legality. That is important because I don't want some ranger snagging all my sleep gear. Thank you very much for stating the "obvious" because I am learning every day.
  14. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my hammock and bring it with me on most trips. But because its hard to actually camp with two perfectly spaced trees, I bring a tent as well. Bring both so you're covered and you'll be fine.
  15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    If you bring a tent anyway, why the hammock? Is it just because it is more comfy to sleep in or is there another reason?
  16. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use both. Spring/fall/winter I use a tent. Summer I’ll use my hammock setup. Once I am carrying a topquilt and a bottom quilt, the hammock becomes an issue packing down for me. Now if you have all down for both top/bottom quilts, probably about the same for me... I do prefer the hammock for sleeping. Also, I wouldn’t take my hammock somewhere there may not be a good option for hanging. I have seen folks do some interesting things to hang their hammock when trees aren’t available.
    Snake Oiler and Be Gone For Good like this.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I use both and take both. If 2up I'll leave the hammock home but still take the tarp.

20180809_073038.jpg
  18. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of my setup last fall. Lows were around 35F and weather was wet

[​IMG]

it took me couple tries to figure out how to get my setup dialed in, so practice close to home for the first couple of nights. Also I find it takes more time for me to setup the hammock, quilts and tarp than tossing down a tent. I'm not sure you save a lot of weight compared to a tent.
  19. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    sure,,, they pack about the same size and weight with everything being relative for temp comfort ect. about the only plus to a hammock on that front is the lack of poles to pack.

i would suggest based on that, you should stick with what you know on this trip unless you have time to buy all the hammock gear and use it a few times to get comfortble about it and decide if it'll work for you.
  20. tntriumph

tntriumph Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watch a few of Shug's videos on YouTube, you just may learn more than you want to know. https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery His experience and knowledge is highly regarded in the hanging community.

The Hammock forum also has loads of great info for beginners and those more experienced too. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

One thing I'll add is that you will definitely want a bug net of some sort for hanging in warm weather.