1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Camping in Alaska-bear canisters?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by cba191, Apr 5, 2014.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    The more important question is why you would ever let him out in the first place!
  2. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do most of my riding down in America in the winter while you guys are freezing your butt off up here.:vardy Bought a new bike......had a nice trip to Key West.:wings

I am back......getting "stuff" ready for summer.:deal
  3. CardiffKook

CardiffKook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the consensus seems to be no cannisters for food?

Do you then hang food? Anyone use one of those ursack bear bag things?

https://www.ursack.com/
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I would save my money and use an inexpensive bag of the same size. What the heck does "bear resistant" mean really? Probably means that the bear will work up a better appitite in the minute or so it takes it to destroy the ursack. Hang your food in anything that will will hold it, but if the bear gets to the food it is gone ursack or not.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  5. taylor

taylor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe if you get slapped by a grizzly you don't have to play dead.
    Gezerbike likes this.
  6. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    From my response to a canada thread about bears spray in 2010 when i was still working. Nothing i would change since retirement ...

"Interesting thread from a country of riders with a fair share of genuine outdoor mileage and experience. If I may add my two cents as your westside neighbor.

I've worked on a fish, wildlife and people management career path since 1974 and in Alaska since 1994. I'm a biologist, manager, LE officer, firearms instructor, defensive tactics instructor, and OC-10 (pepper spray) instructor. I've field investigated bear mauling where everything was done wrong, and death by bear incidents where everything was done right. I've shot black and brown bear with handgun, slugs and rifle (not in defense of life situations.) I've sprayed advancing black, brown and polar bears; and 250+ thick neck LE officers who assured me they were going to kick my ass after I sprayed them (they are required by policy to get sprayed if they are going to carry spray.) It worked 100% of the time ... end of story. The bears immediately stopped and exited the situation ... as did I. The only officers that didn't immediately go down had closed their eyes and held their breath (not much of a threat to me in that condition.) When they opened their eyes or took a breath & down they went. A breeze that quakes the aspen can be a wild card (read that problematic) in your applying the spray in the best manner and place (read that in the bear's full face from less than 7 meters.) I'm also sure that there are he said she said stories that the spray didn't work and some may even be true.

When I day trip ride in Alaska I'm ATGATT and that doesn't include spray or deadly force (However if I just feel like shooting I'll carry something appropriate and yes ... I have concealed permit.) If hiking to the fishing hole or overnight camping in the bush, I carry spray and/or handgun. If on extended float/hike or into the wild ... I'll add a shotgun with slugs to the mix to respond for all floaters if necessary. Warning shots have never worked for me. If bears are coming to see what's going on ...they come anyway. But that doesn't mean they're coming to eat me. Work requires me to carry cracker shells. The only time they worked was when I shot them in the ass from a distance as they were already leaving the area ... and I wanted them stay left. If they come around again then I leave. After all, i'm the visitor in their home.

Just like riding ... stay awake, involved and prepared. Carry what you need and not a gram more.

PS. If I'm crossing the border and I figure I need bear protection, I carry the large can of spray with the bear label, not the mugger label, and i've never had a problem crossing. I don't carry handguns if crossing the border ... it's not worth the hassle. With all due respect I think powerful people in Canada may be just a little paranoid. "
    Bigbob1 likes this.