Camping / Motels in Ojai

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Stonewall, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    I am taking my seat in to Rockys next Wednesday, the 27th, can anyone recommend an affordable Motel / Hotel or Campground in Ojai? I'll be their Tuesday night.

Thanks
  2. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    If you call Rocky's place they can give you a recommendation for a motel and get you a discount.
  3. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    There is great, free camping up highway 33. Highway 33 is a pretty amazing piece of asphalt heading N out of Ojai. Just as it crests and begins heading down into the valley, there is a dirt road to the right heading to Pine Mtn Rec area. 30 min on a dirt road leads you to the top. Beautiful views of the coast and the central valley. Pit toilet and no water, so be prepared.

Rocky will know where it is.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    This is an amazing site isn't. You can a a question or for advice and people really help. :deal
  5. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    I got a seat last month and stayed 14 miles away at a Motel Six. Cheap and an easy ride over to Rocky's shop. Here's the number -->(805) 643-5100 and the address: 2145 Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001

Great people who do quality work! While I was there, they plied me with breakfast, beverages, lunch and snacks. It's an interesting process - Good luck.
  6. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stonewall,
    Wheeler campground is about 10 miles up Hwy 33 from Rockys. NF campground, nicely shaded and near the creek. Watch the water on the road just above the "twin" tunnels. Lake Casitas is about 8-10 miles away on Hwy 150, nice oak trees for shade and LOTS of bass fisherman and kids. I'd go for Wheeler. I don't think there are any "cheap" motels in Ojai so the Ventura suggestion would be good, check with Rocky on that though.
  7. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark - I second Kennedy's recommendation on Hwy 33. 395 south, 58 west, 5 south, 166 west will get you to 33 and the hills/curves begin shortly. If you don't camp you might check out hotels in Santa Paula. It's less expensive there and the road from Ojai (Hwy 150) is both scenic and fun. cheers, larry
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    Right now it looks like the Motel 6 in Venture. The campground ( no showers & pit toilets ) is $20 and the Motel 6 is $50. I'll spend the extra $30 for the AC, hot showers, TV, bed, and coffe in the morning. I still have to check out Santa Paula.
  9. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm local to the area, and as for levity's post, the 150 from Santa Paula to Ojai is closed, has been since the big rains. But you could still easly stay in Santa Paula and just take the 126 west to ventura then North on the 33. THe 33 from Ventura to Ojai is open, but it was closed north of Ojai. Not sure if it is open yet, might want to check the CA DOT web site for road closures. Personaly, I would stay in Ventura. FWIW, there is a killer BBQ place in Ventura on Main Street just west of Seward and a killer Fish an Chips shack the opposit direction on Seward where it deadends at the beach.

Mike
  10. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    150 was closed due to some washouts during winter, but we rode through May 28, well after "the big rains". There were just a couple of short one way sections ~100 yards with a stop light control; delays were very brief (<1 min).

Hwy 33 was completely open by then and was in great shape - green w/ beautiful blooms!
  11. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second the fish and chips place :thumb

But all roads are open, I rode them both sunday. Hwy 33 twice :ricky :D
  12. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, good to know. I havent even bothered to try the 150 in a while. I do know that is is closed between the 101 and where it tees into the 192 to Golita. But you can take the 150 west from the 33 past lake Cacitas to the 192 all the way to Santa Barbara/Golita, I rode that 2 weeks ago.

Mike
  13. Graybeard

Graybeard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to Rocky's last year for a seat. I came in from the North on Hwy 33. Thjere is a bar on the north end of Ojai, first place on the right coming south into town. I stopped for a beer and wound up camping in the owner's back yard two blocks away for free. People are really friendly in that little town.
  14. Steve-O

Steve-O Jackass Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll be in my neck of the woods (Bakersfield) on the way down to Rocky's. I really enjoyed the tour de Mammoth Lakes, and would really like to recipricate. Let me know if/when you'll be comming through Bakerspatch. I can show you some great roads, and good places to eat if you're not in too much hurry.

I had my saddle done by Rocky last month on my K100LT. I love it!

Steve-O