camping near Shiprock, NM

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JayElDee, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    any good camping sites in the near vicinity of Shiprock?

tia

John
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Yes

There's commercial and there's BLM.
    Do you have a map?
    Have you checked on camping there, other than making this post?
  3. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    yes and yes I have

I have seen photos of the area also. Is the land where it is located private or BLM or posted, etc? I cannot tell that from the maps I have seen. And the campgrounds that I have seen listed do not appear to be right there, but some distance away.
  4. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Google is your best buddy, also try nm.blm.gov and az.blm.gov.

Shiprock is by the Navajo Nation, so there's oodles of Rez land. San Juan County, in NM, the La Plata BLM District, is probably where to look.

AFAIK, there ain't sht in Shiprock, as a town. This is the Four Corners area so you have a lot to choose from. Dunno why you specifically picked Shiprock.
  5. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Tried Google, but I'll try the other sites

Thanks

JOhn
  6. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    Where specifically, Lone Rider.

I'd like to know as well because there isn't much.
  7. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    looked like a cool place to take pictures in late afternoon or early morning??
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Monument Valley in AZ or Mexican Hat area might offer more.
    IMO, Shiprock is a pit...unless you like pawn shops.
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The only personal camping experience I have near there is north of Farmington on BLM land, but I've been thru that area enough to know that your possibilities and options are great.

I was simply offering leads as to where someone could find instructions for assemblying that certain widget, if that makes sense.
  10. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    There is a nice public/free campground in Chinle. At the entrance to Canyon DeChelle Nat Park, just over the hill from Ship Rock. Bathrooms, water, trees.
  11. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's BLM land on the reservation

If you stealth camp, stay far away from the roadways. Try to ask for permission first. There are a lot of superstitious people still out there.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not clear if you are talking about the town of Shiprock or the rock itself. I believe the Shiprock rock formation is on Indian land not BLM land. You need to get with the Navahos to see what their camping policy is. I suspect BLM land is 10s of miles away.
  13. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    There is camping at Mesa Verde nat. monument, north of Shiprock. I know there is a KOA in Cortez, CO., quiet possibly other commercial campgrounds there. There are campgrounds at Hovenweep Nat. monument, north of Shiprock. Navajo Lake has a public campground, east of Bloomfield, NM. The Navajo Nation surrounds the general area, including the Shiprock. There is also a lot of open BLM land around there for primitive camping.

Do a little research to find the details.
  14. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some nice shade trees in that one.
  15. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    What I was really looking for was a campsite close enough to the "rock" to take near pictures of it--not from any distance.

Mesa Verde and Cortez would be too far away. Frome the pictures I've seen there are grasslands?? on the slopes of the rock?
    And I mean the rock , not the town, but to LR, I umderstand what you mean. There is a youtube or similar that shows drives through shiprock, the town. Not a pretty picture at all

John
  16. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    You will have to inquire locally about camping on Navajo lands. I do not know what particular restrictions they place. May, or may not, be any big deal. It's pretty sparsely inhabited country. Traditional navajo do not live in communities....they are spread out all over in their hogans.

Might do a little of your own work here and look up Navajo Nation, they might have good info. Just sayin'
  17. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I rode around the rock to the east from the four corners and most everything had barbed wire fences next to the road. I did cross a cattle guard and entered one of the lots to get a better pic. I all looked to be private land.
  18. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are on Navajo Nation land and they do not like outsiders on their land. Definetly check with the NN or you could get in deep shit. Shiprock as a town is not worth hanging around, unless you want to feel alienated from the locals. Stay around Farmington and you are within 30 miles of Shiprock.
    I agree for incredible photos you need to go to Monument Valley. You can camp on the edge and watch incredible light play off the Mittens. World Class. Do em both.
  19. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Lone Rider said, Google is your best buddy. Shiprock (the mountain) is on Navajo Lands so you will need to contact them about camping in the area.

How to obtain Hiking/Backcountry Use and Camping Permits
    1. You will need to request for a permit prior to your visit please allow 3-4 weeks before your trip, or visit any of the following Navajo Parks and Recreation offices. Permits can be obtained from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Mon.-Fri.) Please call for summer hours.
    2. Upon receiving the permit, complete as needed and return to Navajo Parks and Recreation.
    Call 928-871-6647 for any questions or contact any of the parks listed below:

Navajo Parks and Recreation Department
    Window Rock Office
    P.O. Box 2520
    Window Rock, AZ 86515
    tel: 928.871.6647
    fax: 928.871.6637
    email: navajoparks@yahoo.com

The office is located between the Navajo Nation Museum and the Window Rock post office in Window Rock, Arizona. Information and permits can be obtained for hiking and camping on the south side of the San Juan River and Rainbow Bridge trails.

Cameron Visitor Center

P.O. Box 459
    Cameron, AZ 86020
    tel : 928.679.2303
    fax:928.679.2017
    email: lcr@navajonationparks.org

This visitor center is located at the junction of Highway 89 and Highway 64 in Cameron, Arizona. Information and permits can be obtained for trails along the Colorado River, Marble Canyon, Jackass Canyon, Salt Trail Canyon, Totahatso Point, Rainbow Bridge trails, Cove Mesa, Coal Mine Canyon and areas in the western portion of the Navajo Nation.

Antelope Canyon Tribal Park Office

P.O. Box 4803
    Page, AZ 86040
    tel: 928.698.2808
    fax: 928.698.3360
    email: ac@navajonationparks.org

The office is located next to the LeChee Chapter House, which is 3 miles south of Page, Arizona on Coppermine Road (Navajo Route 20).

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park
    P.O. Box 360289
    Monument Valley, UT 84536
    tel: 435.727.5870
    fax: 435.727.5875

The office is located in the Monument Valley visitor center at Monument Valley, Arizona. Information and permits can be obtained for Rainbow Bridge trails, the San Juan River and the Oljato area.
  20. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    thanks to all for the info. much appreciated

John