Camping on the side of the road.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Walub, Nov 29, 2006.

1. otto

otto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings pedalritter,

I've never traveled outside North America but, I've motorcycled about everywhere on the Continent. I've never had any problems and most people you will find are nice and helpful especially if traveling alone. American movies and TV portray an entirely different country than I live in, Inner Cities not withstanding. People will leave you alone because they think you might have a gun. :lol3
  2. pedalritter

pedalritter n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I'm sure you're right. It's not about the individual people, I've been around enough to know that there are nice, clever and firendly humans all over the world. :freaky It's more the political and legal attitude that to my eyes looks rather bizarre sometimes. Not that this wasn't the case in numerous other contrys I've been but luckily they normally are technical and organisationsal too incompetent to enforce it :clap. Something that can't be said about the US. However, thanks for the reply, I'm sure I'll give it a try one day! :thumb
  3. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I don't own a dildo, and there are none in my family that I am aware of, so I have no first hand experience in making a purchase, but, I didn't know you could go to jail for buying one. One more reason to steer clear of those "adult" book stores I guess.

4. otto

otto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suppose one could just leave their dildo collection home.:wink:
  5. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    He's Austrian. That's what their passport is printed on.
  6. pedalritter

pedalritter n00b

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

The example came to my mind because some weeks ago my girlfriend applied for an externship in a quite famous horse clinic in Texas (she's finishing her studies in veterinary medicine at the moment) and even in the papers they sent to her she was told to be aware that the purchase of sex toys -I don't know about ownership- is prohibited by law. She just mentioned that she's not sure if all girls in texas are so fond of corn cobs... she at least is not willing to travel without her dildo when I'm not with her. :lol3

I hope no one felt insulted by my remarks, if so, I do apologize!

Best wishes,
    PR
  7. otto

otto Long timer

Oddometer:
    You said the US not Texas. :lol3
  8. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    I can't explain Texas.

But you would be welcome here in Virginia any time.
  9. pedalritter

pedalritter n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!:beer I'm aware of some differences between the states as far as this is possible without first hand experience...
  10. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    I took a nap once on the side of the road in California near lake Tahoe.next thing I know im arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.i had my hunting knife under my leather jacket just in case I ran into an undesirable person.unfortunately the place I picked to nap was a notorious place for dealing drugs and a week before there was a shooting at my nap site.it cost me about $2300 in lawyer fees and such.but I was younger and more adventurous back then.now I sleep in motels.
  11. pedalritter

pedalritter n00b

Oddometer:
    :eek2:eek2:eek2

12. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Ain't THAT the truth, though.
    (And "reality" shows may be the worst of the lot. They're anything BUT reality.)
  13. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    To some people, a big ass "hunting knife hidden inside a jacket for the purpose of self defense" sounds a lot like "concealed weapon".

I know it sounds crazy as a wet raccoon, but that's how some people think. :lol3

For the record, I carry a Ka Bar with me but always leave it locked on the bike. If anyone did ask, it's for whacking up firewood and not for carving up bad guys.
  14. backroadbob.com

backroadbob.com Roads Scholar

Oddometer:
    You have the right idea and you've been given some good advice. Not being noticed is probably the most important point, especially with cell phones everywhere. Just set up camp well before dark, not an hour before and especially not at night. I once closed the local bars down with a bunch of Appalachian State college kids and motored up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway to pitch my tent and woke up with a very large bull looking into my tent. It's tough to break camp while staring down a bull. Luckily, it was before cell phones.
  15. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    On occasion when the conditions are right, I'll lay my sleeping bag out under the stars... but usually where I'm riding, conditions encourage me to use a tent.

More than once I've set up my tent under perfectly clear skies and omitted the rain fly because I like it that way, only to wake up at 3am with rain coming down on my face. I need to be fairly certain of the forecast if I'm going to omit a tent.

Or mosquitoes. I can't sleep with mosquitoes flying around my eyes and ears all night. Or ants, either. (Though I did have a bad experience with ants a few months back while in my tent, so that doesn't always help.)

And in the morning, everything outside my tent will be covered in dew.

But when the conditions are right, I don't hesitate to skip the tent.

Jamie
  16. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :beer
    Here's to another year of stealth camping!

(still won't find me sleeping in a cemetery... Jamie Z can have all of those sites)
  17. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I'll usually take a bivy bag. Or maybe a small mosquito bivy + emergency tarp. It's good to have emergency shelter. I just don't get setting up house when traveling--especially when stealth camping.

I do get setting up a nice (non-stealth) camp if you're staying somewhere awhile.
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Granted, some people do carry shelters which could double as a house, but I usually travel with my one-man tent, or occasionally my two-man.

I think one is less likely to be approached while in a tent, and at least in my view, one seems less "homeless" while in a tent. Numerous times I've had vehicles pull into whatever place I've stopped for the night, including on a few occasions, law enforcement, only to turn around and drive off. I can't say if those vehicles would do any different if I didn't have a tent, but something tells me a tent is a little less inviting to curious people because they don't know who or what is inside.

That's not why I usually use a tent though. Those reasons are mentioned above. Setting up my tent takes less than five minutes, as does breaking it down. For me there's really no time or effort difference between those times I set up my tent and when I don't.

If you're picturing a house, no wonder you can't understand.

Jamie
  19. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    If I were camping in more populous areas I might be more inclined to pitch a tent. More bugs and I know I would.
  20. Robboh

Robboh Adventurer

Oddometer:

This is a few weeks old, and my answer is not really pertinent to the conversation of camping, but I just had to comment that I think that warning is just a weird thing for them to have given your girlfriend... I grew up and have lived in TX most of my life (5 year stint in OK for my wife's schooling) and there are shops all around that sell those things and I've never heard (a first person account) of anyone bring arrested, much less hassled for buying one... It makes me wonder what small town she must be going to, because in the town I live in, we constantly laugh about it being so behind the times and there's at least 4 places here that sell "adult items".... sigh... I'm sad I know that... but I did grow up here so as a high school boy they were a source of much mystery and tittilating speculation haha...

The other possibility that comes to mind is that it's one of those laws still on the books (you can find funny lists of them online) that are long ago forgotten and not enforced... ie - "All approaching travelers must shoot their guns in the air when approaching town to announce their arrival."

I think you'll find Texans a friendly bunch...

...and if you want, I'm sure there are a few that will be glad to take you out to go target shooting while you're passing through as well haha...

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk