Camping on the side of the road.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Walub, Nov 29, 2006.

1. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    yeah, but you can just park in a pull off and "hike in" 25 feet.
  2. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, it doesn't stop ME at all, I'm just a bit more stealthy than blatantly obvious because of it.
    You never know how hung up a park ranger kinda person gets on that technicality.
  3. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    very true.

it is always better to just avoid that kind of issue. doesn't mean you have to hide or be sneaky even, but there is also no need to make yourself obvious.

also, for anyone else reading...be aware that the rules for PA state *parks* are different. the rules i posted are for state *forests*. state parks generally do not allow primitive camping at all. most of them do have specified drive up camp sites, but you need a permit (and i think they usually have a fee, but i don't know as i stick to primitive camping in state forests).
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a very rare law enforcement encounter this past week while stealth camping.

I was in Tolono, IL, just south of Champaign where I'd found a city cemetery outside of town down a little country road. I went out back of the cemetery which had some tall bushes. I pulled my bike behind the bushes and set up my one-man tent.

About an hour after settling in, I awoke hearing a noise and seeing lights. I saw the unmistakable swipe of a flashlight across my tent and a man said, "Hello in there."

I unzipped the tent and looked out to see an officer standing outside. He asked if I had any ID. I got out of the tent to grab my ID, still in the tank bag on my bike.

He asked a few questions about where I was headed and wondered why I was here. I told him that of gotten tired and just needed a place to crash.

He hemmed and hawed for a bit. Several times he pointed out that I wasn't allowed to stay here. I could tell that he was torn. He felt obligated to ask me to leave, but I think he knew that I was harmless, and in fact I think he thought it was pretty cool.

I had to ask him, "How did you see me?" He said that during his shift he likes to drive through the cemetery. (Small town and all, I guess.) He said he saw my white helmet thorough the bushes. So much for wanted a bright helmet to be safe! After he left I took my flashlight and walked along the cemetery road. More than my helmet, the reflective piping on my tank bag, and the reflective tape on my bike shined.

Finally he said that people like to come out to the cemetery early sometimes, but he'd let it go if I left before sunrise. I promised I would and he got in his car and left.

I went back to sleep, got up well before sunrise (ugh) and packed up.

Turned out to be a crappy day, to boot. Rainy and cold.

Jamie
  5. Banana12

Banana12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've found that one can easily set up camp in the back of a truck stop, where all the semis park to rest. It is not exactly remote camping but when you're slabbing it and get tired it works great. I just go to the back and sent up the tent, even sleeping in as late as 10am and have yet to be hassled.

My only encounter with police while 'stealth' camping was in Canton, North Carolina. My two riding partners and I were on I-40W trying to reach Waynesville when we were caught in sudden storm. After eating dinner and seeing that this storm was only getting more severe (sheeting rain, huge wind gusts, tornado warning, etc.) we decided to try to bed down at the town park under a large pavilion. It seemed perfect except that as cars came around a bend their lights would shine on us, but I figured we had nothing to lose by chancing it.

Sure enough immediately after setting up our tent and hanging our gear to dry a police cruiser pulls up :cry. He comes over and we get to talking as I explain our situation and intention to leave at dawn. Turns out he rides too and sympathizes with us but still has to kick us out, suggesting we stay at the local hotel. When I enquire about near-by camp grounds, I can tell he feels rather bad and says that he knows a place and needs to make a call.

After the call he tells us to follow him to a place his friend owns where we can camp and that there is even an overhang to park the bikes under! When we follow him there we discover it gets even better, he arranged for us to use his riding buddies camper for the night!:eek1

Had a great night sleep, he even had the a/c on by the time we got there, and left in the morning. Easily the best interaction I've ever had with police, and we sent them a postcard/thank you card when I finished we reached San Fran.
    ForgetKnown likes this.
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Suppose a person had an old building he did not know what to do with, but could move it to a spot and make it available to motorcyclists. That building would consist of a raised, enclosed floor and an equal area of open roof-over. How would that person make it known as available without posting his location on the interwebs? And what would he have to provide for sanitary purposes? Could he count on users to remove their own garbage? Should this be it's own thread?
  7. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tent space thread?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Covering up reflectors is a must.
  9. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    +1 If it is a nice night, I cover the bike with the rain fly.
  10. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, they can kick you out. But then what? Suppose you wreck, or worse yet, go to the cantina and step in some real shit? They dont know what your like. Sending you on your way could eaisly bring them more trouble than letting you stay. Anyone who's been in the busness very long is probably wondering what your likely to try if they do give you the bum's rush. Ah, the joys of law enforcement.
    My experence has been the law usually dont care unless they think someone might complain. I have been kicked out twice, once when we picked a rich guys driveway, and the owner complained. Our mistake, we should of seen the mailbox. The other was more bad luck than anything, but it happens now and then. Both times I moved on and found another free spot not far away.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I read some good books on 101 Division and 75th Infantry Regiment.

When these guys would insert into a AO, they would run from the Choppa, and hide in the brush "lay dog" for a couple of hours.
    If no NVA or VC seemed to be on to their location, that would start their patrol.

I went with this technique on my camping. But, I usually only spend about 30 mins. Ideally, you are not hiding in confined spots, but some time you do.
    I use this time to write in my journal and eat, or dental hygene, or look at maps.
    _____

Also, if possible, get out of camp sight get on the path or road that traffic will come from and see if you can see your MC and tent and such from that vantage point.
    Not a good idea if there is a lot of traffic and someone sees you come out of your hide/blind.
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was busted, long ago, by a Nebraska State Trooper when I stopped after dark in minor state park with no camping somewhere around Sydney. I was way out in nowhere so I thought it was cool, no one else was there. In the middle of the night it started to rain buckets and my tent flooded so I pulled myself under a cement picnic bench, getting royally soaked... it got worse, lightening, and then, yes, "the train" came....I never saw it, but it was fucking terrifying, the prospect of dying alone is especially harrowing. I guess I wasn't directly in its path, but close enough. It blew my bike over and sent a lot of cut grass and sod into the bike. I was assessing things with my flashlight, in shock, when the trooper pulls up. "You OK?". Yeah. "Was there anyone else around here?" No. "OK. Good. I'm going to have to ask you to leave, there's no camping here". Don't think lightening doesn't strike twice either, I was in a direct hit tornado just two years later.
  13. HH

HH Dahlonega GA

Oddometer:
    Won't work :nah

When i stop for the day there is a beer in my hand :1drink
  14. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stealth camping is the only way to go ... sometimes it sucks, sometimes it is amazing.

This was alongside a Indian knick-knack kiosk, just south of Mexican Hat.
    [​IMG]

The view in the morning (and the locale for an impromptu GPS repair) was outstanding! All in clear view of the road, but because it was on the inside of a corner, no headlights would pick me out in the night.
    [​IMG]

Also in southern Utah, a mile up a dirt road off the main road. We'd been trying to get into a proper campsite, and everywhere was full, and I am very happy we were denied.
    [​IMG]
  15. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    Bump for a great old thread :evil
  16. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky for you they weren't cows. Cows will lick the dust off the vehicle, and rub up against it. Helluva way to wake up.:huh