Camping on Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hootowl, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my last trip to BC I thought the fees for camping at the provincial parks was a bit steep.

In the states I can usually find a camping spot outside of developed campgrounds in the national forests and other public lands and not pay anything.

What kinds of camping opportunities are available on the island other than developed parks?

I'll be on the island starting Tuesday August 8

Thanks in Advance
  2. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    It's no different in Canada; duck onto a logging road when it's clear, keep your camp clean and blend in as best you can. Nothing to it, just like in the US.
    Keep a low profile, as usual. If someone rolls up and is bothered, ask for recommendations for any other places. Word of mouth, like.

btw, I'm flying into Victoria on the 10th, staying through 16th... I might rent a bike downtown and get lost for a day. Wanna connect? Where are you going on the island?
  3. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    I was just sitting in a Provincial campground this morning with some visiting family and they were telling me they were paying 17 bucks plus tax for a single spot. They do not have showers and you have to pay for a small pathetic bundle of fire wood. When we went North this summer into Alaska we never payed more than 15 and always had showers included and wood if you wanted it. So the heck with them, find a spot and camp where you think you can get away with it. At private campgrounds on the Island you will pay 20 bucks or more for a tent spot.
  4. Crush

Crush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you care to share the places you camped that had showers during your trip?

Thanks, Dennis
  5. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to connect but I think it would be difficult to pull off. I'm not one to plan much. I will be trying to connect with some friends on a sailboat up around Quadra Island but even that is open ended.

Look for a red 1100GS with a Touratech dual headlight, two up, Oregon plates.
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    On the south end it seems that a lot of the campsites charge a fee. On the north end a lot of the spots still offer free camping.