Camping Saw

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by BIG-E, Oct 14, 2019.

1. StreetBlighter

StreetBlighter Jim

Oddometer:
    I backpack and camp a lot and never leave without my Boreal 21.

Weighs a pound, Assembles instantly without tools, folds flat, and is a SOLID bow saw.

A little pricy, but worth every penny and more In my opinion. If I lost it I’d buy another immediately. Eats logs. Weighs nothing, takes up no room, uses standard bow saw blades, instantly tensioned and set up in literally 2 seconds with no tools or extra parts to lose.

Agawa Canyon - BOREAL21 Folding Bow Saw - Black Frame, Green Handle, All-Purpose Blade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWZ4ZLA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wnxQDbGRKYRQS

Get the yellow one. The green one disappears in the grass when you set it down.

Attached Files:

2. sED8frog

sED8frog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buzztail and BIG-E like this.
  3. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on Silky. One of those expensive-but-worth-it things.
    SaAdvRider99 likes this.
  4. PeteAndersson

PeteAndersson Swede

Oddometer:
    Agree on the Bahco Laplander.
    A very easy to use and well designed tool.
    sED8frog likes this.
  5. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of us don't enjoy foraging for firewood all night, we like to toss a few logs on the fire and had it burn for a while. I'm a big fan of standard bow saws if you have the space.
    sED8frog likes this.
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    well, when I have spent cold nights in the wilderness, I usually drag a few logs up ( as long as I can find and drag)
    burn them in half across the fire, or make a starfish looking thing, and just keep pushing the ends of the logs in.

many nights in the rough backcountry, a saw is nice to have, but certainly not necessary for a good long fire.
    OnOff likes this.
  7. Pipefighter76

Pipefighter76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg This is my zippo.. Combo saw/hatchet/hammer.
    BIG-E likes this.
  8. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    +2 I’ve got a couple I keep around. Always process wood fast and easy.
    BIG-E likes this.
  9. WindBlast

WindBlast Sonorous and Effulgent

Oddometer:
    A folding saw with a handle will work but is extremely tiring to use for any length of time. You want more of a collapsible bow type saw. Get a good quality piece and the blade won't break like a cheap one will. That can be dangerous out in the wild.
    BIG-E likes this.
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I agree, but I’m not going to build a cabin with it. Once I’ve got the saw out it’s usually less than 10min work to do what I need to, and I don’t suffer the penalty of weight, or multiple pieces that can fail, or fall off.
    When I did my Pathfinder certification in the Everglades back in 2011 I saw the best and worst of saws. By the end of the six days I had folks asking to borrow my Bacho that brought in some of the saws mentioned above.
    For me it’s all about compromise. Light weight and compact to carry (I KNOW I’ll be carrying it) vs slightly greater effort to use (I MAY be using it) is a fair trade off. If I know I’m going to need to process firewood for a crowd of folks for two weeks I’ll bring something more fitting.
    phreakingeek, sED8frog and Xsv like this.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well lucky for me I'm just moto camping and not bushwacking in the Amazon. So I don't need to cut a cord of wood to survive, just need a couple logs for a nice fire to hang around with my riding buds after a fun day on the bike. Hard to believe I haven't perished out there in the "wilds" all those times I didn't even carry a a saw :lol2
  12. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
  13. Siki

Siki always n00b 2 sth

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] russian pocket chainsaw works like charm even on stubborn semi/dry dwarf pine. Fits in pocket, helped in cold nights out when running ligh gear. Seek thin blade, not the traditional chainsaw style, it has to cut in both directions, tried diy, reverted back to this
    rider1150gsadv, BIG-E and Buzztail like this.
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I’ve used one of these in the yard with a length of paracord on each end to trim limbs up higher than my pole saw would reach.
  15. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I have a Sven, Wyoming, Pull Chain, Corona and few others. The only one I use now is a Silky Big Boy 2000, the best of those by far.

FWIW - I did like the Sven, but it was a bit "rattly" when going down rough roads, has some sharp corners that caused some wear on soft items in my pack, and you are limited in the size of the log you can cut. It does double as a lift if you put it under the swing arm to help you change a tire though - always a fun trick to share on the trail.
  16. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a Gerber hatchet with a saw in the handle. Works pretty nice on smaller stuff.
  17. mbikeboy

mbikeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mbabc and BIG-E like this.
  18. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    A couple months ago, I got an ACE Hardware folding saw. I wasn’t really thinking about camping so much as a bit of limb pruning around home.

I wasn’t really used to it, so didn’t think about it being meant for draw-stroke cutting, rather than push-pull. Will need to work with it some more to see if I like it better.
    7B825CD2-3210-462F-90F9-4E63B59A29B5.jpeg
    Looks to be something of a copy of the Corona folder, to my eye. I’ll take it along, next time, but expect to switch to the smaller Silky folder. I already carry too much stuff, so the more compact, the better.
    BIG-E likes this.
  19. Turbominivanman

Turbominivanman Single track anyone?

Oddometer:
    I have had my Sven saw for about 8 years now. I use it for all my firewood needs for my backpacking trips that I go on about 3 - 5 times a year. . . I love it. I store it in a old wool tube sock to keep it from cutting things on the sharp corners. But I love it
    tjzondrz and BIG-E like this.
  20. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Sven and a hatchet that travel together. I have a pull chain saw as well, but found I never used it if I had the other. It does live in a emergency supply bag though, as it's light and will do the job if needed.