Camping Tent Photos and Reviews!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Deadly, May 4, 2007.

1. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    Im looking for a new camping tent this year and cant decide which ones I like the best.
    So, lets see some pictures of some of yours, with maybe even a short review.

:ear
  2. Tifighter

Tifighter thread killer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that everyone has recovered from the last tent threads...
  3. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    I just got a new tent, Eureka ICS (Individual Combat Shelter) designed for use by the U.S. Armed forces. Very similar to the Back Country I and Mountain Pass XT I. Some guy on eBay is selling them. They usually run about $200. It is free standing, seperate rain fly. Has a good sized vestibule to store gear so there is lots of room inside for even a 7' guy. The vestibule is accessable from the outside unlike the Mountain Pass XT. The tent pack about 6"x15" and weights about 6lbs. It comes with a footprint so you can pitch it with just the rain fly as a quick shelter, and also a very extensive repair kit plus some high tech Easton stakes.

Here is a link to the latest verson which doesn't seen to include the footprint: http://http://military.eurekatents.com/tents/tcop.html
  4. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    I just got a new Big Agnes "sunnyside" tent from through Steep and Cheap. It was a great deal at about $120 (retail is about $280). I haven't had it on the road yet, but have 3 rallies to attend in the next month so I'll know more then. I set it up a couple of times to get the feel of it, and it seems well made, sets up quick, came with a footprint and fly.. good ventilation and protection, nice vestibule areas. Looks good so far.
    [​IMG]

For the money, I'm happy with it.
  5. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    REI has their Half Dome two man tent on sale for $109. I got one. Set it up. Seems really slick. Most of the trick aspects. For this kind of money it only has to hold up for a year. Get a new one when it fails. :thumb
  6. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has lasted more than a year. Here is what it looked like two weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

// marc
  7. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    Nice of ya to post the pics. I really liked the hub thingy at the apex of the support poles ... the clips instead of sleaves ... the cool little vents in the rain fly .... and the fact you can just pitch the fly if you want. Well worth the money. :thumb
  8. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    have only put up in my basement, but it is light, has a 20" pole section length, and really only one pole, sort of, becuase they're connected, and stuff :scratch

EDIT: its the hubba hubba. not the standard hubba.
  9. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am betting that you are a technical writer or record accounts of crime scenes for a living. It is rare that anyone writes as succinctly as you. :lol3
  10. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Maybe he writes user manuals for Microsoft.:lol3
  11. VIPER6

VIPER6 VIPER6

Oddometer:
    No need... I think I read their equipment is warranted for life.

I ordered the same deal... of course with tax shipping and a fly it is like $150. So far, so good though in one use. Materials seem so flimsy compared to the tents I was used to in the military...

We go camping with the dog... I think his nails would puncture right through the floor and fly possibly... just doesn't seem that rugged. I guess that is the trade off for a light pack tent.
  12. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    I like how the rain cover covers the whole tent in the photos of the tents here so far.
    I also prefer the four to six man tents best because they are not so cramped. Im using an Ozark Trail Sport Dome tent currently and it has plenty of room and is pretty easy to setup but when the weather is breezy and cool its less than comfortable (too much ventilation).
    It seems like all of the tents pictured here so far would be less drafty since the rain cover covers the whole tent. Mine only covers the top half.

:ear
  13. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    REI is running their Anniversary sale for the next two weeks, so now might be the time to buy.
  14. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent two nights last weekend in OH camping, rained BOTH nights and we were VERY comfy inside...shelter:

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 3 (~4lbs)!

Pricey, but it is the BEST tent I've ever had (5 up til now)

Their sleeping bags rock too
  15. btl68

btl68 .

Oddometer:
  16. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the older REI Half Dome (the new ones are Half Dome HC, they are different sized, footprints do NOT interchange) that I have been very happy with. Perfect one one person and gear, packs small and light.
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I have an MSR Hubba 1-person, and I like it a lot. Quick and easy to setup, and completely dry in drenching rain. It ventilates well, too. I spent the extra $35 on the footprint as well, which I believe will allow setting up footprint/fly without the tent if you wish.

[​IMG]
  18. ThomD

ThomD Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    Really like our Moutain harware hammerhead 2. Two doors, very well vented. Enough room under the fly for a good amount of gear. We've slept through a couple of torrential down pours with nary a worry.

Shown here without the fly.[​IMG]
  19. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    After 5 different tents I now use and very happy with my Mountain Hardware "Light Wedge 3". Its a 3 man 3 1/2 season tent. Sets up fast and easy and has plenty of room for all my gear with a decent vestibule.

I did a write up of my tent at Motocampers.com where you will find a couple of other reviews of other tents by other motocampers.

Take a look here:
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
  20. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I use a North Face Tadpole!! I love it!! Its the best tent Ive ever had...Its uber light and the stuff sack has compression straps on it so it packs pretty small. Anyhow it is waterproof... I have full confidence in the tent. The detachable rainfly/vestibule is big enough to store your boots, helmet, jacket pants, gear, camelback and whatever you haul..

greg

ill try and dig up a picture some where