Camping Tent Photos and Reviews!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Deadly, May 4, 2007.

1. duckbill

duckbill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using a Northface Tadpole with a footprint off and on for over 10 years and the only thing that has to be done to it is seam sealing once a year. The tent, footprint and fly weigh less then 5 pounds and packs with the tentpoles still attached into a small bag. This tent has survived a tornado, rain, hail and snow. It has gone canoeing, backpacking and on my motorcycles. If I ever wear this one out, I hope Northface still make a replacement.
    Recommended by Bill.
  2. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    great tent isnt it!!! :nod
  3. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used my Eureka Zeus 2EXO for the first time this last weekend. It's the easiest tent to set up that I've ever seen, short of the "throw" tents. It packs small, is light, and I can see that this will be my steady solo use tent.
    For a full blown review of this tent, I found this http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Eureka_Zeus_Exo/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jim%20Hatch/

I haven't been "rained" on with it, but I did get a pretty solid light rain for 3 hours and it didn't leak a drop. All the reviews I've read have showed the same results, with it being very watertight. I give it a :thumb .

[​IMG]
  4. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Quite Pricey, but IMO the best motorcycle camping tent.

The gargantuan vestibule is large enough for two adults to ride out an all day rain in Kermit or similar small chairs in relative comfort. Also, I don't have to crawl in and out like most backpacking tents. The vestibule is a great place to store your gear out of the weather with room to spare.

This is my second Velo. When my house burned in January it got my first one and three other nice backpacking tents - two Sierra Designs and a Marmot. This was the only one I replaced.

About $4-450 shipped including footprint, gear loft.

Here's a shot camping in Tennessee in February...
  5. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '20

Oddometer:
  6. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    I've had a dome tent that I bought from LL Bean for ages, has held up very well. The main zipper died in a windstorm (Death Valley in the winter), I sent it back for repair, they fixed it free and had it back to me in a week (the tent was several years old at that point).

BTW, I love the "(some number) man tent" sizings. The "men" must be pygmies. I think mine is a "4 man" and it's just right for two people and gear.
  7. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

3 man kelty seems to be right for just me.
    I bought this one second hand one night into my first moto camping trip.The 1 man Chase Harper was not going to cut it,the humidity was by far the biggest problem.

Now my only problem is the tarp I use for a ground cloth.
    If it rains,water can puddle and seep through the floor,otherwise it seems totally water proof,and stands up to wind.

The 3 poles go into the sleeves easily,and the fly clips to the tent.
    I only use 2 steaks,to hold the door out.

Now I am anxious to use a battery operated lantern for writing postcards and such.My shake for light flashlight was a drag tied to the ceiling.
  8. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trim your ground cloth so it is no larger than the floor of the tent. You can duct tape the cut edges. If it sticks out at all it will do just as you described.
  9. ih8mudadvrider

ih8mudadvrider Texan transplant love the NW

Oddometer:
  10. Mojave Jack

Mojave Jack Time - two edged sword

Oddometer:
    Before I got my dual sport, I was moderately getting into mountaineering and therefore, ultralight camping...I bought the Eureka xsos (?) 2 man, at 3lbs and 10oz with poles and bag...I love this tent as it has room for my gear such as cooking and backpack (moderate size gregory pack)...the one man Eureka is I think 3lbs, but for 10 more ounces I got the extra space...it compresses relatively small to about 5x14 in sack, and allows me to sit up (I'm 6'3") to put on boots etc...plus the price I paid was 79 dollars (I think it may have been mis marked at the store...) but for the weight, price, and size, i havn't found another (that I could afford that is):evil Moisture does gather if not set up wide and vented, but front area has a large vestible for wet boots or etc...it does seem a little fragile and may need a ground cloth, but I have had it in the Sierras, lake ediza, and surrounding inland empire mtns, gregornio, sbpeak, johns meadow, etc, with not a single tear...
  11. Subcanis

Subcanis Dental Floss Tycoon

Oddometer:
  12. ThomD

ThomD Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    REI has the Mutha on sale for $280 until May 13.
  13. ih8mudadvrider

ih8mudadvrider Texan transplant love the NW

Oddometer:
    yeah, I just got the flyer in the mail. Gonna use last years paultry dividend to help pay for it.
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I've got a Dana Design Arja.

This thing is f*#king bomb proof. Plenty of room for just about anything you want.
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Subcanis

Subcanis Dental Floss Tycoon

Oddometer:
    I live in very dry climates so its not too big of a deal. I think this tent could have problems in more humid climates. But for my location, it works great.
  17. drdan415

drdan415 freaky deaky

Oddometer:
    REI Halfdome 2:clap

Backpacker magazine best tent many years running
    easy to set up, stays bone dry, two entrances with vestibules to keep gear out of the rain, close by, but not actually in the tent. You can even cook under there if you are carefull.
    Make sure you buy the "foot print" this will ensure dryness and prevent damage to the tent.
    I have travelled the world with this tent and it has never let me down, by far one of the best pieces of equipment I ever bought, and you cant beat the price. In the past 4 years I have spent over 10 months sleeping in this tent...absolutley awesome.
  18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Paper, thanks for that review! I bought one of these for my upcoming Continental Divide ride. I was a little leery of the single wall design, but sounds like it will be fine:D
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats what my son's scout troop uses. You don't need to buy the overpriced footprint. You can use Tyvek or blue tarp and cut them to size. I have and they never fray, surprisingly.
  20. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer: