Camping Tent Photos and Reviews!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Deadly, May 4, 2007.

1. caffeine

caffeine Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have this tent and LOOOOOVE it for setup and just about everything else.......BUT....it may not leak rain from the outside...but the poof venting doesn't help it on the inside for cooler weather camping.

-Rob
  2. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I've read, too.. Since I've used mine a total of 2 nights (but both were in the high 40's) I don't have much to base findings on. Both my nights were cool and I did wake to a pretty much dry inside of the tent, but with a regular tent, I've also had flys collect condensate and drip on me by morning.:dunno

The venting seems to work VERY well, and I really don't think it'll be any worse than when I'm with a fly'd tent. (I could be wrong). Time will tell. I think, since I'm usually camping on the bike by myself, and I TURBO SNORE, the venting will work just fine..:lol3

In reality, I wish I'd have bought the 3 man for a bit more room. I use an inflatable air matteres and a twin size leaves only a foot or so between the mattress and the wall. (aka-gear storage)..

I bought a new fart sack this week, too.. I picked up a 20 degree rectangle down Cabela's Boundry Water bag in long. Lottsa room, compact when compressed, and toasty when needed.

[​IMG]

I'd been hunting for a while for a down retangle bag. So much for my overtime this week..:lol3
  3. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip.

The other tip I got was to trench.Since I was camping in private camp grounds,I knew it would not be allowed.
  4. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If given a choice, set it up with the front of the tent facing the incoming breeze. Since it was pretty cool on both nights, I could actually feel (very well, I might add) the breeze coming in from the front venting.

In reality, I think a stocking cap would have been a nice addition, and it couldn't have screwed up my helmet/bed/no shower head after 3 days..:lol3

1/2 gallon of water isn't enought to make a cup of tea, wash up stinky parts, and have water enough for tea in the morning.. :fitz Next time I get a burr up my ass to "wilderness" camp, I'll bring along a colapsable water jug.. I can scrub my nads and all other parts, as much as I want to..:nod
  5. artk

artk hi

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I`m jumping on the zeus bandwagon too :D

Love this tent, no hassles with rain fly or sleeves and packs small. If its humid i just point the tent toward any wind and roll up the vestibule for air.
  6. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    :thumb

My (old version) is 5 years old, and has been used extensively from 110F down to 15F, and despite being bashed around its still going strong. Very easy to erect, move, and dismantle. It has lotsa room for this big ugly dude, and its nice having two entrances to vent it and also to store stuff. I may just invest in a new one as REI has a sale on.....

EDIT - some pics of 'old faithful' below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    Does anyone have any experience with a Bibler tent? I am looking at the Tempest for my next tent. Any input?

After almost 20 years the North Face Tadpole had to be retired. The fly has turned a very pale blue and has shrunk to the point that it is dangerous stretching it putting it on. It was a prepole sleeve model and could be put up or taken down it under 1 minute. The only issue with a Tadpole is headroom. I figure it cost me about $.25 a nite. Good value in my book.
  8. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:
    The Outpost 3 Long Tent from Mt Sun Touring Company
    www.mt-sun.com
    The tent is roomy and the vestibule is large enough to sit within on a Kermit chair out of the elements.

[​IMG]
  9. Jeepboy

Jeepboy Roost

Oddometer:
    This is an MSR Hubba. Its a 1 person tent and very lightweight. I got it for backpacking but it makes a good tent for bike trips also. It is tall enough inside that I can sit upright (I'm 5'8"). It sets up fast.

[​IMG]
  10. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it

Oddometer:
    Great tent. I love mine. :deal
  11. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I used to think my Bibler was the best tent ever, until I found out it was going to cost me $500 to replace the floor in a two man tent.

Looking elsewhere now for a good tent.
  12. Jeepboy

Jeepboy Roost

Oddometer:
    MSR makes a Hubba Hubba which is just like mine above but 2 person and doors on both sides.

13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    happen to have any pics of the vestibule open with a kermit in there? room for two Kermits?

14. celeriac

celeriac Bump start

Oddometer:
    Love the MSR Hubba Hubba. Super roomy inside for a 2 man tent, I can sit upright and have no problems fitting lengthwise (I'm 6' 3") and is very light (under 5lbs with all the trimmings).
  15. CbrPaddy

CbrPaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. flanga

flanga Delusions of Adequacy

Oddometer:
  17. empeg9000

empeg9000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It must weigh a ton and its quite expensive I see. Too bad they dont have them in the states. I am thinking about getting a pyramid or teepee style tent. I am looking at the Black Diamond Mega Light currently.
  18. SkulefromOslo

SkulefromOslo Fisherman

Oddometer:
    If you click: www.Helsport.com ..? (Lavvu)
  19. CbrPaddy

CbrPaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it cost a bomb, something like 1500 euros, but it'll last a lifetime - the quality is unreal. This one weighs about 10kg, but I wanted the canvas because the material is so much nicer, plus I don't need an inner tent to stop drops.
    I either throw it across the rack in it's own bag or stuff it into a TT Zega pannier.
    This one sleeps 7 so it's great when on hols in a group or heading to a rally etc, only one (ie me!) gets loaded down.
    They also do variants made of the usual nylon type materials which are significantly lighter and pack down very small considering the size of them.
  20. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    I am on the bandwagon too!! Read on.

LINKS:

Eureka Tent
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-60-zeus-2-classic.aspx

Outlet store:
    http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/

Keep checking because the products offered change frequently.

Assembly Instructions:
    http://www.eurekatent.com/pdfs/instruc/2007/Zeus%20Classic%20(07).pdf

Specifications:
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-60-zeus-2-classic.aspx

=======================================

A few days ago I purchased a "B" version of the Zeus 2EXO from the outlet store in Binghamton for $71.00 plus sales tax.

I have used a tent with separate fly for several years (Texsport cheapie).
    I have looked at the ZEUS 2 EXO (same tent now called Zeus 2 Classic * ) and other tents for a few years because the store is within 25 miles from my home.
    The tents are on display and the selection varies. (see outlet web site).
    I kept thinking that a single wall tent with an exo-skeleton is so much easier to set up than double wall tents.
    Many will disagree on this but that happens to be my personal opinion.

The following morning rains of monsoon proportions offered an opportunity to check it out.
    When the heavy rain abated temporarily to a light rain I set up the Zeus in the yard within view of the kitchen.
    It took only a few mintues to set it up.
    If one keeps all zippers closed one can assemble this tent with the inside staying dry.
    I secured the tent at the four corners with four of the eight supplied aluminum stakes.
    Two stakes for the vestibule and two stakes for the side vents.

The rain kept coming down all day and well into the night.
    The fabric above the rear vent sagged after a few hours and formed a puddle.
    Water dripping on the fabric below after the puddle filled up.
    I called the outlet store.
    It was suggested that a prop-up could be rigged with velcro.
    Similar to the poke-out vents on their other tents.
    I also could return the tent and purchase a discontinued ZEUS LE. $50 more. Yikes.

As the day progressed the vent (mesh) was closed off completely.
    I could envision future ventilation and condensation problems which I had read about in other forums.

I left the ZEUS in the yard for the night.
    The following morning we awoke to strong high winds howling and roiling around the yard. No rain.
    We live on an exposed hilltop at 1300 feet altitude.
    The Zeus stood its ground.

The puddle was still in the fabric above the rear vent closing it off.
    I dumped the water and opened the vestibule and entrance door (mesh). No water to be seen. No leaks. No condensation. Dry. Great.

Later I brought the tent indoors and set it up inside to dry it off before repacking it.
    I comtemplated the puddle problem and was nearly persuaded to return it to the store.

After thinking it through I came to the following conclusions:

1. I have to rig a styrofoam block between the rear vent cover and the tent below with velcro.
    This will facilitate airflow reducing condensation and also let the water run off.

2. I have to attach cords to the venting flys on the side of the tent so I can stake those out a bit higher up enabling increased airflow.
    Cords can be made adjustable with small loops tied in.

3. I did use a generic plastic floor cover (shiny side up) purchased at the outlet store which I folded back at the points where it protruded beyond the perimeter of the tent.

4. The front of the vestibule has a mesh opening, which if pointed into the wind will enhance ventilation.
    The air moving over the exposed ground inside will pick up moisture from the soil and add to the pint the single occupant of the ZEUS will breathe out during the night.
    A Tyvek cover for the vestibule is needed to keep this from happening.
    A single custom made floor cover for tent and vestibule cut from a sheet of Tyvek is what I will probably use.
    (The cover below the tent should be several inches short of the outside perimeter of the tent so falling rain will wick to ground and not on the floor cover for obvious reasons).

With these thoughts in mind I revisited the Eureka Outlet in the afternoon running it by the very knowledgeable and experienced cold weather hiker working in the store.
    The same person who sold me the tent. He has used a Timberline for many dcades.
    Too complicated for me. K.I.S.S.

He liked the styrofoam idea because that would mostly eliminate undue weight issues.
    He also showed me a gizmo on the side of the Pinnacle Pass XT3A which with the aid of velcro and having been sown into the fabric will hold the vents of this tent open.
    It looks nifty and I will have to explore this method a bit to see if I can apply this type of device to the ZEUS 2 EXO.

Summarizing: I purchased the ZEUS 2 Exo as a one person tent.
    I need some space.
    Ease of assembly in all weather conditions was my first priority.
    There are condensation issues which I am confident I can minimize.

In short: I love this tent.

* Note: The Zeus 2 Classic is the same tent as Zeus 2 EXO. Name change after one year hiatus in production.