Camping Tent Photos and Reviews!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Deadly, May 4, 2007.

1. Bitt

Bitt Wanderlusting

Oddometer:
    Yeah - didn't mean to hijack this...sorry:shog
    Yes the stove and pipe and warming shelf are in the flat black case. Actually so is a folding saw, fire starters & lighter and spare parts.
    The poles sections for the 8 man are 23".

This is a shot I found from their site. I've got mine all packed for a trip this week - yippy!:D
    [​IMG]
  2. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    I have a medium stove too and it is amazing... Takes about 2/3 as much room as my laptop and weighs less too. I'll see if I can get some pics up in the next day or two as mine is more accesable.
  3. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Here you go...
    Parts is parts...

[​IMG]
    Laid out in the case...
    [​IMG]
    From the side. That is the stove pipe, rolled up it is the thickest part.
    [​IMG]
    In the case from the side.
    [​IMG]

From the top.
    [​IMG]
    And this is my 4 man pitched without the stove.
    [​IMG]
    Don't blame me... Britt started it :lol3
  5. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr Fisherman! That's just wicked cool. :kumbaya

Now seriously guys, how many seasons do you think you can get out of that little stove?
  6. Bitt

Bitt Wanderlusting

Oddometer:
    Patrick (Mountainsmith aka kifaru) says hey has never had one burn through. I know guys with over 10 years and going. They are damn lite weight but other than crashing on it - I think it'll last a long time.

Hey Fisherman - you still need more set-back on you first 4 pegs to get that dish out of it.:wink:
  7. papavero

papavero Just good enough.

Oddometer:
    Here in the southwest, this Hammerhead 2 works well. All the mesh vents can be closed to keep blowing dust and dirt out without using the rainfly. Free standing and very sturdy. Great for star gazing. :thumbup

[​IMG]
  8. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    They are backed up with a lifetime warranty, and are tuff. Have read reports of the stove pipes being bent in half, straightened out and they are still in use. They can be bent, but they can be bent right back. Very dourable.

Britt, that was my 1st pitch ever. The 2nd was better when I sealed the seems. Next time will even be better...
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    replying to grave. my wife bought us a ozark trails tent from wal-mart 6 to 8 yrs ago (2-3 people) i think it was 20-30 bucks back then. I've used it camping on the bike, horses, marinted in beer, jim beam, tequia, loaned it to teenagers, packed it wet, threw up on it, flew it behind bike like a kite to move camp site, planned on keeping it one season, used at hiawesse in the rain 2wk ends ago. Use a shower curtain for foot print. Only real complaint is fly doesn't cover door, if u step out to piss in a down pour rain comes in. Wife thinks it's alittle small for 2 people. It's tied on the bike to go again fri.
  10. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead. We (my wife and I) are using a Hammerhead 3, which is a 3-man. Been in several downpours, never seen water inside the tent at all. Very good ventilation. We like it.
  11. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    This tent is on my short list along with the Black Diamond 'Vista" 3 person tent.

Any issues worth mentioning (weight, setup, etc.)?

Thanks,
  12. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Since my wind proof rock solid North Face disappeared a month ago I've been on a similar quest. After looking at everything I could shake and crawl into I'm back to another North Face. They may cost a little more but if you're stuck in one during a windstorm on the north face of the Grand Canyon it will be worth it.
    [​IMG]
    Second picture was taken the day before a night of high winds that destroyed two of the tents (the blue one in the foreground was one) and sent several more 'campers' inside for shelter. These things are rock solid.
    [​IMG]
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    You guys all pitched on a ferry? I'm guessing Alaska or Nova Scotia?
  14. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised, since the tent in the fore ground is a Sierra designs Meteor light (? maybe ?), and those things are pretty damn bomb proof. Doesn't look like any of them were staked down, so there goes a big amount of the tents stability and strength..

I would have thought that turd of a blue tent to the left of yours would have been the first to go. Slept through heavy winds in a campground on the ocean once (in my Sierra Designs), and woke to see a fellow with one of those turdy tents collapsing flat to the ground with every gust of wind.. I didn't even have my tent guyed out properly for wind, just the basic 10 point stake out.
  15. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent a week in a ten in Key Largo last fall. Stayed in cheap motels the two nights it took me to get there.....then, I bought a 29$ tent from Walmart, and left it behind when I left....
  16. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, Alaska Marine Highway, ferry out of Bellingham, WA.

The one in the foreground is at the very edge of the Solarium deck next to the rail and at the end while I was partially sheltered from the brunt of the wind's force. It really was a bad wind, and exposure was everything. Yeah, the only thing we could use was gaffers tape and just weight. I didn't leave that tent when it was howling. As to the tent next me ... I listened to that damn thing flap all night. The kid was on his way up for the crabbing season without a worry in the world! Interesting characters in the Great White North. At least for the second night I had a much better view without the first tier tents....
    [​IMG]
  17. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Just use shade cloth as a ground sheet. The water drains through the cloth instead of pooling. Use the 90% one.
  18. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:

great..between this and the clark hammock..that's about 1500.00 bucks that needs to fall from the sky:cry

that kifaru teepee would be the perfect solution for us 6'6"..man they are expensive.
  19. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    I took possession of one of these last week.

http://www.rei.com/product/739349

I wanted a vestibule without carrying tons of extra weight and wanted a tent that would not cave in with wind. There are lots of choices out there. I figure now I'm ready for anything nature may throw at me.
  20. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I bought a Black Diamond Hilight tent from Aerostitch a few weeks ago and I'm impressed. It weighs in at 2lb 9oz and it's a single wall copy of Bibler Ahwanee's worthy though pricier shelter. I like the fact that the door is the larger side of the tent. Makes for rolling in and out easier than the usual crawl. Price at REI and Aerostitch, $350. For another $130 you can get a vestibule for it. This one I bought for a friend but after holding my North Face and the HiLight ... the difference is a big one as in 1/2 the weight. I'd add this one to anyone's list but read the reviews. It does take a little more time to set up and it is a single wall, but it's good points are pretty good for my needs.
    http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Black-Diamond-HiLight-p-19128.html