Camping Tent Photos and Reviews!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Deadly, May 4, 2007.

1. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    When I started this thread I was having a problem finding a tent that I really liked. I had bought four el-cheepo tents in the same year and hated all of them except for one. Even though one of them was ok it still was not what I wanted.
    I started getting e-mails from an older gentleman (John Clare 77 years old) in Alaska about my bike. Turns out he travels from Anchorage down to the lower 48 quite a bit on his bike and camps the whole way. I asked him what kind of gear he uses so he sent me a list of the things he carries on his bike. I figured my way was not working so why not try someone elses way who has been doing this stuff all his life.

a couple of the things on his list was a Eurika Alpine Lite 2XT tent and a 2.5 inch thick Thermarest sleeping pad. So, I found both items online and purchased them. The Alpine lite 2XT is a four season expedition tent and it along with the Thermorest turned out to be worth every dollar I spent (and Im a cheap bastage).

I have learned the expensive way that there's just NO substitute for experience in this area. John has made my camping experiences much more enjoyable.

Some good advice John gave me was "If your going to sleep on the ground buy good stuff" I found this to be very good advice.

(here is my setup while camping in Pueblo, CO a few weeks ago)
    [​IMG]
  2. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Hey I had a CB750, man I miss that thing. What else was on the guys list?
  3. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:

Adventure Nighthawk nice
  4. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I have 4 tents, but my favorite is a REI Taj 3. They are still occasionally available, but worth it if you can find them.

[​IMG]
  5. HondaCrazyReliable

HondaCrazyReliable HondaCrazy

Oddometer:
    1. Waterproof
    2. Easy to set up
    3. EUREKA
  6. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer:
    In case someone is still in need of some tenting ideas..

I've used this tent for about 14yrs...It's still in very good condition...I just purchase the wing like canopy to go with it...Can't say much on how it works yet, but it should help provide some nice additional rain and sun protection....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Packs up small and weighs about 8lbs..
    on sale at sierra trading post on a close out..
    The tent was around 80bucks when I bought it..I expect they still sell this two man model...It does come with a rain fly that is not shown..

[​IMG]
  7. Crew Dawg Dave

Crew Dawg Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it is cool with John, could you post the list?? I'm very interested in what a guy with that type of experiance has to say!!!

Good thread by the way...

Dave
  8. Deadly

Oddometer:

I'll try to post something in the next day or two. I emailed him and he said it was ok with him.
  9. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not exactly a serious outdoorsman's tent. It works well for my lardy carcass though.

There's been some issues with Eureka that I want to vent about though:

Bought a Tetragon 7 for my touring last year. Busted a brim pole on the 4th stop and 6th day of the trip.

Sent all the poles back to Eureka this spring (long story, see busted arm link below) and requested new poles. One brim was straight up busted on the end, another was cracked, and the mains were warped.

Apparently the warpage was within tolerance because they're going to send to those back (note tense) and give me new brim poles free. When the arrive, they've been back-ordered for two months.

I went to Tent Pole Technologies out of Vancouver, Washington and ordered a replacement set. They custom fabricated a set of pre-curved aluminum brim poles for me that work WAY better than the crappy, spindly little OEM fiberglass brim poles.

Otherwise, this tent serves my needs quite well. It's just long enough 6' and a little extra to fit my BaseCamp Thermarest and lay my Olympia riding suit out to dry.

No issues with water getting through whatsoever, even with the very exposed front and rear sides of the tent.

This is the tent last time I took it out. The photo was taken while I was walking back to the bike to get the hatchet to stake the fly down. (The mains just pushed into the sand by hand.):

[​IMG]

Gotta love that crazy summer sunlight here in the PacNW. This was taken shortly before 9pm and I still had another half hour of useful light.:D
  10. wabisabi

wabisabi wabisabi

Oddometer:
    At 34 ounces, you can't beat the lightweight tarptent squall for moto camping or backpacking. I also have a north face tadpole that's a breeze to set up. The family favorite is a springbar wall tent we use when we have a support vehicle to carry it.
  11. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offense intended to you or Raindog, but do those floorless tarptent jobbies really work all that well in miserable weather?

It usually rains until July 5th here, so you would have to have an impermeable floor layer to keep water seepage out right?
  12. Deadly

Oddometer:
    My friend John and I have disscussed camping in several e-mails. I keep getting PM's and e-mails from you guys wanting to know whats on his list so here are a couple of e-mails he sent me on the subject.
    Im sorry these messages are not more organized but they were never intended to be displayed like this.

I hope they help...

April 6th, 2008

I know what you mean about finding the perfect tent! I keep looking but ........ The tent I am using is a Eureka alpenlite 2 man tent. I have the older model the newer one has a bit better ventilation .
    Mine has adequate head room & space for my gear and has proved to be totally waterproof. Its a 3 to 4 season tent and sets up well . I keep looking at various tents but this one works for me so haven't been able to justify something else. I am looking at things differently now with 2 and a half years to 80 . YOU have more time to get use out of a new choice :0) Coming down the alcan in sept it was below freezing a few nights and 75 at night in Lewiston Idaho so I carry 2 40 degree light weight bags and double up on cold nights. I
    use a thermorest pad 2 and a half inch thick and a 26 inch width.
    The trip from the great lakes to Tenn. and home was 17 nights times 7 or about 120 hours on the ground so haven't wanted to skimp there. I have spent 55 or so nights on trips and so far haven't had to stay in a motel. My wife says I am nuts but I feel like I am beating the system. or some other abstract reason like that.. Really enjoy your
    pictures and am sharing them with our son.

May 28th, 2008

Hi Richard, good to hear from you . I laid out the gear that I took on this trip less the clothes / riding gear and any food. The stack
    of little bags is what I store the items in . I get BIG zip locks
    at a grocery store ( like 18 by 18 " ) and put my clothes in and squeeze the air out of while I am sealing them. I have total ( including what I wear , 2 pr pants , 2 shirts , 2 shorts, 2T shirts. Three pr. sox. I have bumped into guys traveling that have their clothes rolled in the small cube size nylon zip bags like 9 by
    12 by 4 which would be great for your waterproof bags. I do have some and have purchased them at thrift stores for 50 cents or so each. . Gotta tell you anything that I can get on sale or at the
    thrift store I do !!! I have bought the polly quick dry shorts
    ( under ware) and T shirts that you can take in a shower or wash in a wash room and they are air dry in several hours.. As for food I carry some packets of tea, coffee, granola bars etc. Then I keep one meal extra handy, like progresso soup. I then pick up at a store along the way what ever I want to cook for food . Other wise I don't carry any advanced meals except the one emergency meal . Breakfast is coffee and a pack or two of oatmeal . Lunch if I want one is a trip to a safe-way market . As for bags it depends on the temp you may encounter. I have found that the temp. rating of sleeping bags are over rated. I was cold in my 2 , 40 degree bags.( temp was 37 degrees) I make up for it by carrying a set of long under ware, a
    stocking cap, and a sleeping bag liner ( Hey this is alaska). all
    three of which I had or as in the case of the liner I bought . None of the three take any room . I would think that the temps you will encounter the 40 degree bag will be great, and you could include the long johns and a warm pull over cap, incase there is some weird low temp. Like a hailley cold front. So thats about it .. Know you will have a great trip , ride safe ..... John T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Richard for posting the info.
  14. Bitt

Bitt Wanderlusting

Oddometer:
    I am also here in the GreatNorWet.... and I prefer floorless (with the woodstove). I have been in the outdoor industry most of my life and I have a selection of tents in the quiver but this is the one I choose most.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"There's one reason cone-shaped tents have been around for thousands of years. They work...
    the Kifaru 4 Person Ultralight Tipi is more than just a 9 pound bombshelter for four (or even 5) people. It's a backcountry home, complete with central heat...the walls handled serious weather, including 40 mph gusts on California's Lost Coast and 6 inches of snow on the Appalachian Trial.
    In fact, once we climbed inside and fired up the stove, the weather outside didn't matter much. Online Editor Kris Wagner's experience was typical: 'Despite being pounded by an ice storm that tore branches from the trees, we peeled off our wet outer layers and hung them to dry, shared trail stories, and cooked hot drinks around the stove until 1 a.m.. It was a far cry from the normal cold-weather camping routine.'

The stove produces enough heat to warm the tipi from 0F to 40F, boil a quart of water (in about 10 minutes), or bake a batch of cinnamon buns. A clotheline circling the top ... helps with drying socks and gloves.."

Backpacker Magazine, April, 2002
  15. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a Eureka Timberline in 1978 and still use it. 4 person and lived in it for several months in 78.
  16. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    How much did that run you?
  17. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought some very nice new main poles also, so I think the cost for the brims was around $35.
  18. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a follow-up. I really like my Eureka tent, but their repair & replacement group is a freaking joke.

I didn't get my poles back until late August-ish or early September timeframe after having sent them in around April. To add insult to injury, I'd put the poles in the pole bag. Duh. Bad idea.

They kept the pole bag and when I called to complain they sent me a replacement tent & rainfly stuff-sack instead of a pole bag.

I've pretty much written Eureka off for anyplace where I can't simply bring it back when it breaks (a la REI).
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    How about a resounding HELL YES THEY WORK THAT GOOD IN MISERABLE WEATHER!!! I was doubtfull about the floorless design but tried to remain open minded... After this trip in the near freezing rain I am COMPLETELY sold :nod

[​IMG]

Review here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350441&highlight=kifaru

I liked it so much I got another one... a 6 man.... love it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am glad I found these deals before the ecomomy tanked...
  20. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your tipi rig had me convinced when I saw it at PNWetFest. Looked far more inviting than my little 7x7 Eureka tent. :thumb

Not to mention the tent's bathtub floor made me fall out the door and flat on my face after a few too many shots of tequila. :uhoh