1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Can a CDMA phone be set up for offline navigation?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mslim, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    I've got an unlocked Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro (S727VL). I was wondering what would be involved in setting up it up for offline navigation? Sim card, apps, OSM map download? What else?
  2. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Just download the apps and maps you like a go . No sim card needed most use it in airplane mode anyway
    mslim likes this.
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    mslim likes this.
  4. mslim

Oddometer:
    Thanks for recs! I downloaded several OSM regions. Does iGO have ads? What other android apps are recommended for paved backroad navigation?
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Locus is my favorite.

OsmAnd

Guru Maps

Sygic
    mslim likes this.
  6. mslim

Oddometer:
    I put OSMand on yesterday and did a test run and it seemed to work well. I've seen references to Locus on the net.

Care to expound on what you like and don't like about these apps?
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Locus does pretty much EVERYTHING I need it to do. It's pretty much the best GPS app out in my opinion. It does have a very steep learning curve, and you will have to dedicate time to understanding it if you want to make use of it.

OsmAnd has a good interface, a nice mix of settings and features, and works really well. It just doesn't do some of the things I like Locus for. Locus has an excellent Dashboard, easy to use track/route/waypoint database, I can use the volume keys to control zoom, and I can automate it using Tasker or Automate. There are intents I can tap into and make it do what I want. OsmAnd doesn't offer these things.

Guru Maps has a clean interface, doesn't have many options to get lost in, does navigation pretty decently, and is one of the easiest apps to use for GPS use.

Sygic is OK. It has a decent interface, and pretty good handle on traffic and navigation, but doesn't record tracks, etc. It's pretty much a road only type of system. I would use it instead of Waze or Google Maps if I was going through spotty cell reception and needed navigation.

I have tried nearly every option out there, and I pretty much stick with Locus on my dedicated Kyocera Duraforce Pro, but I have an Android head unit in my 4Runner and use the gamut of apps to test with. I wind up using OsmAnd more in the 4Runner. If I were using an iOS device, I would be using Guru or Scenic. If I were using both iOS and Android devices, I would probably be using Guru across all of them to keep consistency of mapping.
    mslim and Suncoaster like this.