1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Can a Harley make it to Magadan?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>You don't sound like your usual diplomatic self. :lol3

<BR>
  2. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doug, the reason the they have low air pressure in the plane is usually due to airframe age...Its a simple way to keep older planes flying and not have to pay for expensive repairs. You were gutsy to fly on that plane.
  3. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    well, its not like they asked
    'would you prefer to ride on the new 797 jumbo with barcoloungers, or this old soviet piece of shit with wooden seats'

You takes what you can get, when your in Magadan!

Doug
  4. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I'm stoked to see your report again :clap I can't wait for your next trip. Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet you at Long Beach show, I was busy working in my own booth and only saw you walk by :D
  5. shrekk

shrekk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm so happy to see you continue the RR. It's something I dream of doing.
  6. 1TrackSam

1TrackSam Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see that RR come back to life. Gawk, Russian aircraft, I was scheduled out of Kiev on what was supposed to be KLM which code shared with Ukranian Air. Since that experience I never complain about coach seats again, luckily there was a gymnast team of tiny Ukranian girls one who sat next to me. Despite her having the worst BO I didn't mind having that bit of extra room. I understand that they fly 737's now of unknown age and history.

How's the Cannonball Plans, I may run down to NV to see the group come through.
  7. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha ha ... love the3 exploding bag of potato chips .... nice of you to share with those around you:rofl
  8. KeithTurk

KeithTurk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should get a Ghost writer and write a cook book???

( I went back to flying for a living... so there's only the ride to work... Damn it man )
  9. adaleb

adaleb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doug,

Did you ever run the Hercules in North Carolina? Story and pictures?

Dale
  10. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    yep, set a Maxton land speed record in the rotary class, and broke it 3 times after that :evil

I'da done a ride report, but they were really short rides. Maybe one day I'll get around to posting pics in my garage thread

Doug
  11. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're finishing this one up! :clap
  12. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Thanks for update Doug! A good one, too.
  13. PaulGir

PaulGir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ignorance is bliss :rofl
  14. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Cheeps cheeps, do doo do-tadoo
  15. excTC

excTC Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer:
    Have finished reading the report up to date and wanted to say thanks for the commitment. I enjoyed it greatly and your writing. I have only done a bit of riding in Europe but am more inspired to add to it and call by The motohotel.:clap
  16. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0mm 5.4pt 0mm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0mm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> So we landed in Vladivostok. Its my 3<sup>rd</sup> time here. A lot is going on here, as there is some big asian summit next summer, and they are building bridges over the bay, and the road to the airport is being rebuilt. Of course that means the road is a total mess now. So we haggled over sharing a cab to town, which is about a ½ an hour away, & got a ride.
    I had the cab drop me off near my friend Sasha’s house, where Poly has been impatiently waiting for me for about 5 days. I hadn’t seen her in a few months, so it was great to see her again. The next day, we start contacting the shipper about the bikes, everything is on schedule, the boat should arrive in a couple days. Poly has been doing a lot of siteseeing already, but she hadn’t seen several of the places I like, so we spent a couple days wandering the town. Ive spent a lot of time here waiting for boats to go to Japan & Korea, so I know the area pretty good.

We went down to the port, & visited a museum, where Poly told em she was my translator & they let her in for free. Hahaha
    Some sites around town…..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ChadADV likes this.
  17. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    why is the tiger smiling?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The buses here are imported from Korea
    [​IMG]
  18. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0mm 5.4pt 0mm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0mm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Then I took her to the local bike/car museum. This is a great place, & I have visited it enough now, to where the people that run it say OH! You came back again!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0mm 5.4pt 0mm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0mm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ChadADV likes this.
  20. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0mm 5.4pt 0mm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0mm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]