Can a headlight be too bright?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jamesx2, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jamesx2

Jamesx2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    bright.jpg
    I had the light bar on during my daytime ride yesterday. What do you think? Over kill? Is there such a thing as being noticed too much? Too annoying to on coming cars?
    ( Theres not a light near the front wheel, weird photo image)
  2. DeGraafvanSalland

DeGraafvanSalland De Graaf van Salland

Oddometer:
    Yes
    trumpet, sieg, Sonny S. and 2 others like this.
  3. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes
    Sonny S. likes this.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Yes
    Sonny S. likes this.
  5. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Yes.....

MSF (I think) commissioned a study many years ago about conspicuity. One finding was that if your lights were too bright during the day that other drivers could NOT judge your oncoming speed. Kinda like staring at the sun and trying to guess how far it was away.....
    03WrxRob, greasyfatman and davidji like this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  7. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    Too bright? daytime... no. Nighttime... yes. But, then again, I know my headlight brightness is dialed-in just about perfect when every 100th car flashes their brights at me... Any more and they are too bright; any less, they are not bright enough.
  8. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I already answered above, but I'll add another thought...

...If the car approaching your lights reacts with it's own blue and red lights...your lights are too bright.

I've actually wondered about this. Besides my own feelings about lights that are approaching me, I've noticed the H7 LED lights I'm using have increased dramatically in lumens. It may be that's how they stay competitive with everyone else's LED bulbs, but how much is too much?

Chris
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy unsympathetic

Oddometer:
    Yep sure can.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Depends on how badly you want a blinded driver coming at you. If you like it, no your headlight can't be too bright. Otherwise use some judgement and a bit of empathy, given that you've had retina burners aimed at you.

I seldom drive or ride with my brights on. I figure, if nothing else, it sets my limit for speed at night. If I'm over-driving/riding my standard properly aimed headlight I'm going too fast.
  11. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bright lights save lives.
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

True that. Bright lights and a loud pipe makes one close to immoral.
  13. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    No,.... Yes,..... maybe so.... It depends......
    Lets speak to your setup. I think that you are using a 36 watt light bar from the tell tail reflection, which might have a beam width of 30 degrees.
    That with your normal high beam is less bright than my dual headlight. High beams, at the level you are running, in the day time, is insignificant compared to daylight.
    If you were running a 200+ watt led spot light bar, that might be annoying......

I will run my high beams in the day time, in conditions that warrant it and also when I am riding in the back of a group ride so the leader can see me.
    But at night I would recommend that your light bar be wired to the high beam circuit so if you are using them (with your high beam) then you can instantly dim them when you are in traffic.
    This is just my meager opinion......
  14. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.

The headlights on my wife's bike are too bright for night use on low. Fortunately she doesn't ride at night.

Good for visibility though I'll concede that, the impact in full daylight is like being slapped across the eyes if you happen to catch the beam at the wrong angle.

She ended up with that because I'd had them on my bike, never been able to get the beam right and pulled them back out. When her only headlight blew that's what I had on hand and in her reflector the beam pattern is near perfect so it's still there.
  15. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever checked with the ride leader if they appreciate this?

A lady who regularly rides with our group has a set of bright LED lights mounted to her front axle. When I'm leading a ride and check in my mirrors to see how the following riders are travelling, what do I see, nothing other than a pair of f'king blinding lights.
    Boatman, 03WrxRob and Sonny S. like this.
  16. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get wanting to see and be seen but geez how did we ever make it down the road before LED lighting??? I've had 6 Volt regular non halogen sealed beam headlights and never had an issue.

Lighting has become obnoxious since LED's. Can't even look at the candy rack at the grocery store without sunglasses on.
    LED's are fantastic but there definitely is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Tone it down people and at least buy DOT approved lighting with a low beam cut off and adjust your headlights PROPERLY!!
    mitchxout, Suncoaster and AwDang like this.
  17. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. I have been temporarily blinded by others lights that were to bright. Not a good feeling. :bluduh
    Boatman likes this.
  18. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do when I'm leading a ride. In fact I will tell the group " everyone rides with low beams only and no aux lights except for sweep". Allows me to get a quick idea of how spread out the group is with just a quick glance back. Only problem is some riders who can't follow directions. Well that and the ones who don't know how to ride. :muutt

As to the OP's question, yes. Don't be an ass and blind oncoming drivers. And at night you can get to much returned light from reflective signs which impacts your vision.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  19. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Too bright, maybe. Badly aimed? For sure.
  20. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    Mine can't. Yours can.