Can a KTM 690 Enduro replace a 790 Adventure R & 500 EXC?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by spartanman, Jun 16, 2020.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on money:
    carbs - easy to fix;
    EFI - no need to fix

As for the bike if you liked 640A and you think it would be a good fit for type of riding you do 690 is your bike. It added tons of performance and fixed most 640 shortcomings without adding too much weight. Just go with redesigned engine good luck.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back a few posts...he already bought the bike.
    SCPancho, cyclopathic and Bitingdog like this.
  3. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, for me it's not technology I am worrided about. I would like to have fuel injection or cornering ABS. It's the cost of full build. To make 690 Adventure, you need fuel tanks, fairing, rear frame for luggage rack, lowered footpegs, full travel forks and rear suspension, bar risers, engine guard, centre stand, comfort seat, exhaust relocation kit... and few other parts. It gets expensive. You could almost double the MSRP.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    I’ll likely add some of the items on that list. Yeah, it’s a lot of dough, but so is churning bikes. If I get the 690 dialed in and keep it, it may actually save me money in the long run.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do what I think is nice adventure riding with my '13 690 with just a skid plate, rear rack, rotopax, and some bags.

By nice I mean 10 day 2000 mile+ trips in the western US on nearly all dirt roads including some pretty challenging stuff.
    I ride with maybe 10 other guys who have comparable setups. But we don't camp.
    SPL, Fast1, Bitingdog and 4 others like this.
  6. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I would cross off three-quarters of those mods on that list. Seriously...
    grace, Traumat1x and spdtrpl like this.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought for sure I needed more fuel on my 2020 690. But, it has been consistently getting 60 mpg on two track and pavement. So, that's an easy 180 miles range with a half gallon left. That's about what my 950 and 990 Adv's got for a range.
    SCPancho, timeOday and spartanman like this.
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:
    We look forward to working with you!
    Bitingdog likes this.
  9. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    I actually have ridden around the world too :p.

On an Africa Twin 750. If I would do it again, I would use a different bike for sure, because the AT actually is one of those compromises. It isn't great on the street and it isn't great on the dirt. So I wasn't really happy off road in Georgia, Kyrgyzstan or the Pamir, but I also wasn't too happy on the 4000km in 5 days on the Kazakhstan highways.

If I would drive around on paved roads / easy gravel, I would problaby buy something more comfortable for ADV riding (GS800?). But, the most fun would problaby be trying to find as many dirt tracks as possible. If so, I'd think about a 500EXC. Because wouldn't the 690/701 be another compromise, like my AT? I mean, it problaby is 'OK' on the longer street stretches and it is 'ok' in the dirt, but it never excels.

If you buy a compromise, you kind of miss out on everything, I think? On the other hand, isn't 790 an even bigger compromise in that respect? ;)

Nevertheless, I can still see the appeal of the 690/701... I live in the Netherlands and very few dirt tracks are close to my house. So I'd need something that also easily eat 100-150 km of highway....
    ADV67, Fast1 and Bitingdog like this.
  10. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Impressive travel, and no disrespect intended, but there is no bike that isn't a compromise. No matter what anyone tells you or you tell yourself.

So like I posted earlier, buy the bike you love to be on and deal with whatever happens, because at least you'll be on a bike you love.
    hezv4, Fast1, Bitingdog and 3 others like this.
  11. CavemanBob

CavemanBob n00b

Oddometer:
    Any bike is going to be a compromise, particularly for riding various types of terrain. I have a 1290 SAR and a 500 exc. The 500 is boring, boring, boring on pavement but does great at the more knarly two-track and single track stuff that the 1290 is a terror on. The 1290 does great loaded with camping gear running the gravel and pavement, the 500 wouldn't be happy at all loaded with 70 lbs of gear running down super slab.

Personally, I thought about getting a 690 but the close-ratio gearbox was what killed me on that deal. No doubt, the 690 would be better for certain types of terrain and loads than either the 1290 or 500. Just pick the types of riding you want to do then pick the bike that's well-suited to doing that and let it put a smile on your face when you're doing it and bear it when you're on the in-between sections.
  12. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could, but then it wouldn't be a 640 Adv replacement. :-)
  13. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Hmmnnnn . . . I wonder how fast I'd need to be going to get into the nice smooth RPM range on the motor, if the gearbox covered a wider range. With stock sprockets, it gets smooth at 80 mph (indicated) in 5th gear. I don't know where smooth occurs in 6th gear yet.
    j.
    SCPancho likes this.
  14. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I personally am not a big fan of the 690/701. I was actually really excited about them until I finally got some seat time on one. I felt like I was giving up way too much in the dirt and didn't get anything back on the road side other than just pure HP and that was about it.

I was watching Dave Lomax's (Adventure Spec) videos on youtube where he talks about the Tenere 700 and 450L taken on pretty identical long distance trips to Morocco, with about equal road and dirt, and he preferred the 450l and wouldn't take the Tenere 700 again.

One thing stood out to me, he said he dropped the 700 eight times more than the 450l during the dirt riding. That is pretty eye opening.

I still think the KTM 490 Adventure R, with a twin, could be an ideal all in one bike (that leans more towards dirt compared to bigger ADV bikes, but still more comfortable than a big thumper on the road) but I am not convinced KTM will design it to be a high performance bike. I guess small CC and high performance don't go together.

I personally would pay big bucks for a small CC twin built to top of line specs, but I don't think there are enough customers like that to make it feasible.

15. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    interesting that you find the 690= a close ratio....
    the gearing ratio numbers suggest that 690 has similar spread as a DR650 & KLR650.

Ranking similar cc bikes, Higher the number, the wider the spread:

------------------------------------------------------------------
    3.13 BMW F650GS (5-speed) 15.79
    3.06 KTM 640 Adventure (5-speed) 15.44
    2.98 KTM 790 Adventure (6-speed) 15.02
    2.93 Suzuki DR650 (5-speed) 14.77
    2.88 KTM 690 (6-speed) 14.51
    2.86 Kawasaki KLR650, KLX (5-speed) 14.42
    2.66 Honda XR650R (5-speed) 13.43
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  16. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see no need for center stand. Suspension is fine. Excellent in fact. Bar risers? No. Wings exhaust-$500.

Seat. - yes by God. Fuel tanks? Maybe. Stock is nearly 200 miles. Luggage? Lots of options. Need luggage on almost any bike.

I still have an under 400 lb adv bike. Not even close to double msrp.

Mucho fun on and off road. Not a GS for touring, but everything else far better.
    hezv4, Milosh, grace and 3 others like this.
  17. SCPancho

Oddometer:

I’ll say the same thing the Husky dealer told me almost 50 years ago when I was looking at a 450 CR.

What? 100 mph dirt bike ain’t fast enough for you?

I didn’t buy the Husky. Way too much for me back then, or now.
    RidgelineRider likes this.
  18. SCPancho

Oddometer:
    I’ve found the same. I have a Rade tank still in the box. Haven’t found a need for it yet. Probably will put it on before any BDRs, but 180 mile range seems fine here in the east.
    dolphins13 likes this.
  19. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I travel with a 1 gallon rotopax on the back, and I have never needed it. It's just one of those insurance policies but I also consistently can go 180 miles between filling up.
    SCPancho likes this.
  20. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    And that will only improve with elevation. 4247B345-5A9B-465D-A7BA-FF95393F1AB2.jpeg
    grace and RidgelineRider like this.