Can Am Ryker Off Road?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by vwhammer, Dec 12, 2018.

1. vwhammer

vwhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I missed it and I have no idea where such a thread would go but I want to get the opinion of the people about the new Can am Ryker.

As soon as I saw the ads popping up for them I went to check out the specs and knew this was going to be my next "bike".

Given the small-ish, Light-ish nature of the Ryker I feel like it is the perfect candidate for my next "dual sport/adventure" build.

I have been dreaming up a dual sport build for the Can Am trikes for the better part of 3 or 4 years based on some version of the Spyder but there was always something about them that made me think "meh I will wait a little bit".

I then got word of the Ryker, looked at the specs and now know that the Ryker will be my next less-than-four-wheeled ride if I can ever sell my adventure themed NC700X.

Say what you will about the more-than-two-wheeled bikes on the market being lame and/or for old people but I honestly feel that's because they have always been equipped and marketed towards the "older rider".
    I mean just look at most of them.
    For total transparency, at 41 years of age, within 4 months of 42, I am no spring chicken.
    I can feel it in me bones and neck and back...and so on.
    However, I feel the Ryker is the hip, (can I use that word without seeming old) fresh (or that one) and new three wheeler that might entice the younger rider into a three wheeler.
    Make it small and light.
    Make it so I can hang the tail out if I am capable.
    Keep the suspension simple so I can add some beefy shocks and maybe longer control arms and swing arm to give me a little more travel and ride height like the ATV crowd.
    Give it a couple of engine options for both the frugal or more hard core among us.
    Couple this with the safe-ish nature of a three wheeled machine and you got my vote.

Let's be honest. Motorcycle sales are dwindling.
    Maybe it's the "vidja games" and the social media makein'em soft but the youngins just don't have the dedication to deal with life on two wheels.
    They...I need something new.
    There was or are the leaning three wheelers that some companies have tried but they are just not taking off and even I think most of them are lame.
    Did I mention I am old-ish.
    Something new has to happen.

Just to be clear I do not own a Ryker and will likely not buy one until my ADV van is finished and I sell my other bike but does anyone else see potential here?
    Night_Wolf and wheelbender6 like this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not "oldish". Yeah, I'm 20 years older than you, but at your age I was still doing inverted moves on the wake board.

This thread, like all threads about 3 wheelers, will be moved to the Hacks forum, where it's already been discussed a bit. There's a rally version, or sumpin like that, that has an extra inch of suspension and less intrusive electronics...thinkin about gettn me one. It'll never replace the 2 wheeler, but it still looks like a fun toy.
    Night_Wolf, chris a and BobcatSig like this.
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    4" clearance
  5. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4" ground clearance for standard Ryker
    4.4" for Rally Edition
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    It's not a bike. Period.
  7. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    It's not a bike. Comma,

...but I do think it has it's place in the world and I too am curious about its off road capabilities.

I rode my 650 through sandy beaches of Baja to Copper Canyon on 4x4 roads at times for 5 weeks. Then a month later, after almost 50 years of riding, I had a head-on collision and broke both legs, my back, wrist, etc. I have not ridden again (yet, let's say) for 22 months. But I'm feeling more capable. If I have a slow speed tip over and hit my back, well it could paralyze me, who knows.

No, this trike will not do any "real" off road like that, but fire roads power-sliding corners and slow speed stuff I wonder. I can't see doing any long adventurous off road trips on it. I wonder how it would be to have to pick THREE lines to avoid bumps and dips??? I also don't think I'd like the really wide body forcing your knees outwards, or being ejected on turns, or not being able to stand up on the pegs. But I'm open to trying.

So yeah before you write it off, expand your mind...

A sporty, drifty, trike does have its place, and it does look like fun..

Anybody actually have real impressions for us? On or off road? I'm interested!
    JustKip and Night_Wolf like this.
  8. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the Ryker will find a place in the market, for sure.
    if it can avoid the electrical gremlins of the various Can Am models, that is.
    Considering it to be a dual sport is laughable.
    chris a likes this.
  9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock front tires are very low profile. Seems like you could add almost 2 inches of ground clearance to the front if a taller tire is available. May require mods to the front fender mounts.
    -As a Jeep owner, I find this thread very interesting.
    Night_Wolf and chris a like this.
  10. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Do you hafta pay xtra for the golf club rack?
  11. vwhammer

vwhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the record I would have no intentions of taking this thing off road in its stock state.
    Modifications would happen that would both increase ground clearance and suspension travel.
    Naturally some beefy tires would be on the list.
    The front wheel size will make it tricky to put any all terrain car tires on it.
    However, there are several places that could add a couple inches to the front wheels and get them within car tire range.
    I would add 2 inches to the inside of the rim so I could fit some beefy tires without making it too much wider.
    Even with some of the smallest 16 inch all terrains (215/65) you would gain more than 2 inches of ground clearance. (as wheelbender6 pointed out)

Perhaps I should not have used the word dual sport.
    Lets just label it as an ADV style build much like I did with my NC700X.
    Naturally I would not and likely could not use this thing on "dirtbike" trails but I could see it handling forest service roads and rough desert tracks just fine. (with the afore mentioned mods of course)

I finally sold My NC700X and occasionally peruse parts that I might be able to use to do what I want with one of the Rykers.
    Its really tempting to get one and try it out but I need to get a couple irons out of the fire first.

Or maybe I should scour the net for parts to build my own 3WD reverse trike.
    Some ATV and side by side bits with a decent motorcycle engine could probably make a more suitable ADV reverse trike.
    Heck why not make it a hybrid. (the electric kind)
    K now I am rambling.
    That sort of talk should be reserved for another thread and as I said I am pretty booked up with projects as it is.
    It's always fun to think about it though.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  12. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2019/12/ryker-rally-truly-adventurous/
    Is the Ryker Rally Truly Adventurous

Could this three-wheeler be an alternative to two-wheeled, off-road camping?

Story and Photos by David G. Williams

I should have used my head. But in true Knucklehead fashion, I jumped right in without a thought to what a normal, sensible person would do. And now I was trying to hang on at 100 km/h while 18-wheelers swarmed me mercilessly and I couldn’t get this freaking thing to stay in a straight line. I felt like I was sitting on top of a go-cart with no wind protection and which was trying to throw me off its back. The ride was absolute chaos. I was terrified. And I had 45 minutes to go.
    It seemed like a good idea when I first thought of it. Which is how I usually get into trouble. When I first saw the new Ryker from Can-Am, I thought it looked cool, sort of like a modern version of the old Morgan three-wheelers, but with no doors to hold you in. Or seatbelts. And the price was much better than the Spyder; the Ryker starts at $10,699. But then when I saw the Rally version, marketed as an Adventure-style three-wheeler at $14,499, I thought, “How many people would love to go off-roading or camping on a bike, but lack the training, skills or confidence to do so?”

A Safer Off-Road Alternative?

[​IMG]Time and again, manufacturers told me that 80% or 90% of their so-called “adventure bikes” never go off-pavement for those very reasons. The Ryker Rally three-wheeler takes care of all those problems. It’s not going to tip over and pin you to the ground so that you can be eaten by dingos. You’re not going to be overcome by its weight and keel over with a heart attack. Your feet will touch the ground, even though they don’t need to. With the CVT transmission, you don’t have to shift gears while standing on the pegs in sand or gravel, as you would have to on other off-road bikes, to lower the centre of gravity. The Ryker Rally cares not a jot for gravity. It can’t fall over. For all these reasons, I contacted Can-Am HQ in Quebec and proposed taking a Rally version to do some wild camping in British Columbia to see whether the trike really could live up to the Adventure designation. They agreed.

There are courses designed to teach people how to handle these machines because they are so different from motorcycles. Reverse trikes don’t lean in corners, for example. I was to discover that this attribute would lead to one of the greatest core workouts of my life. Because when you go around a sweeper at 80 km/h, rather than leaning into the turn, the Ryker tries to throw you off into the weeds. I should have taken the course. Or driven the trike around the parking lot for 10 minutes. But two minutes after getting the key, I was on the highway, as noted in my opening paragraph.

[​IMG]

My ride shouldn’t be terrifying, so time to take stock. No wind protection means that the wind is tugging at my arms, messing with straight-line stability. So relax and allow for that. But something else is going on. Whenever a bike inexplicably doesn’t feel right, I think, “tire pressure and suspension setup.”

As soon as I got home (I did survive, against all odds), I broke out the manual that is housed in the handy glovebox in front of the fore/aft-adjustable handlebar (itself quite handy: just flip up a lever and slide the handlebar back and forth). I discovered that the suspension was set up for a payload of more than 200 kg and none of the tire pressures were right. With these matters resolved, the trike settled down considerably on the highway. Also of note, I had the fore/aft-adjustable pegs (again, just flip them up and adjust them forward or back) all the way forward for legroom. The better play is to bring pegs into a middle ground between forward and mid-mounts. This gives your knees more bend and creates a more natural position for them to grab the tank, which you need to do in every corner.

Packing For Adventure

[​IMG]Time to go camping. There is only one decent-sized pannier and a small luggage rack behind the seat. That’s all you get, I was told. Clothing went into the pannier and all my camping gear went into a large drybag, but I couldn’t attach it across the rack; it had to go lengthwise because the only way I could see to attach the bag was to wrap my ROK straps around the bag and rack, like tying a mattress to the roof of a car. But the bag was twice the length of the rack, so half the bag was unsupported. So I strapped it down as best I could and hit the road.
    This was my second day with the Ryker, and I was getting used to…

+++There are a bunch of photos in the article.+++