Can anyone give me a condition report on SW WI, NE IA gravel roads

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by psycho klr, Feb 25, 2021.

1. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    With the warm weather predicted for Saturday, I'm feeling a real need to get the CRF back out this weekend.
    I don't mind having to go through some snow here and there, but I don't even know if they plow the gravel roads during the winter. Is there packed snow everywhere or what?

TIA for any responses, and anyone that wants to go out riding, if it's feasible, is welcome to join. I was planning on carrying the bike to the Prairie Du Chein, Walmart early Saturday morning and riding old Great River Gravel Ride routes if possible. I'm sure Iowa B roads are probably impassible right now but some of the more well travelled gravel might be fine???
    geoduch likes this.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    It will be a mix of lousy conditions. Snow pack on the north sides, possibly clear on the south sides and a mix in between. Frozen and icy in the morning, changing to slush and mud in the afternoon. Have fun...
  3. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    So, are you saying you want to go or not? JK, I was hoping for better news
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Pavement should be dry. I'll be skiing.
  5. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    My long gravel drive is frozen until about mid-morning, then turns into chunky pudding on top, with frost underneath, until nightfall. Then the cycle repeats. I’d assume the gravel roads are doing the same.
    katbeanz likes this.
  6. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frost hasn't broken in the gravels yet...surface gets a little sloppy but still not the worst. Next week will probably be the start of the soft nasty gravel frost leaving... Personally I like riding the bike on that, it's what it's designed for...